• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP asked me out on a date?

MBTI Type
INFP
Started a profile for this situation especially. I'll try to be as detailed as I can but Jesus, I don't really want to. Too many to tell.

My INTP and I have been in an exclusive fwb-type situation for the last 7 months (both our firsts). Reason I describe it that way is because there have been many (many) ups and downs with him, with lots of pushing forward and pulling back. At one point, as summer was ending, he was coming on so strong I thought he was going to ask me out. We had a misunderstanding that night after his frat threw a party and he cut contact, saying he didn't want to be anything with me, not even friends because "it would be too hard" after our past. It felt and looked like he used me. Flash forward two months later, we got back in touch and got into a very serious, life-changing situation that I am still currently physically recovering from. He didn't want to talk much after that, or so he said, and reiterated for the second time that he didn't want a relationship.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, when, after a few weeks of not talking, I initiated one vent sesh because I was so frustrated with my regular environment and knew only he out of my immediate small circle of trusted individuals would understand. (Believe me, I exhausted all my friends, even my childhood ones, and their lack of insight only made me angrier. Thinking I couldn't possibly lose much else, I texted him, not expecting a response.)

The next day, at the end of the night, he started opening up to me right as I fell asleep (which I wasn't surprised about, even though he never told me much about himself, I could see and feel the roots of why he is the way he is and understood that within two months of meeting him. I am only now finally getting confirmation for my suspicions about his actions, albeit very hesitantly). He mentions things like needing someone who can put up with him and that he's just a tough nut to crack, saying he doesn't mean to put an impenetrable wall up (alluding to the goodbye letter I left him the day we cut contact back in the summer). Of course, out of concern and the slowly growing love/care I have for him and have been trying to get rid of for the last few months, I respond as soon as I wake up, saying if he needed me, I'd continue to be there for him. No response. I text the next day, saying "Hi, I know you like your space but you seemed really down last we talked and I just wanted to check in on you."

He starts responding again, and towards the end he tells me he wants to drive up (he's on winter break, so he's about an hour or so away) to blaze with me on Wednesday (four days later). We plan for the next few days, as both our schedules are busy. Wednesday comes and he can't make it because his family decided to leave earlier than scheduled. I tell him I'm here if he needs me and to have fun. He responds with a "Be safe please," which, in my 7 months of knowing him, is a lot. Actually, all of this is a lot, especially for him. Anyway, fast forward to a few hours later in which he calls me on his own (!!!) for the third time ever (!!!!!) and essentially demands that I spend NYE with him. He uses specific words such as "date" (again since our first plan that fell through) and "lock it down" which amuse me but also make me a little wary. He was rambling about how he initially didn't want to set his sights on me, "and now we're here" and that he was "glad" I was "still here." I didn't pry and just said I wasn't sure what he meant, but that we could either spend it with my friends, or go elsewhere together. He kept saying he didn't care and he'd go anywhere and he was free and could drive back up earlier etc. Except he's an introvert so if he spent time with my friends at a party he wouldn't feel comfortable not knowing anyone but would be down to drive anywhere else with me to party. I balk because I don't know him well enough as a friend to know what to plan and feel tremendous pressure, knowing LA party scene and what little I know of him, not to mention it's NYE. I'm borderline INTP myself, my test results only show slight preference for F.

Anyhow, I text him today telling him everything is $40+, and that we could just do something low key together if it was that important to him. He takes several hours to respond; knowing him, he was deliberating. Finally, he texts back "Alrightttt let's do it then lol screw it", meaning he was willing to throw down, not what I was expecting at all. Part of me still doubts he'll make it to NYE at all (which he has been heatedly assuring me he will), but the other part recognizes how much it took for him to even bring these things up with me and of course I appreciate it. I know how exhausting that can be. He's been hinting all throughout our convos, I think, and although I am hesitant to even assert that, I just assume his statement of not wanting a relationship still stands and say things like "we'll find you someone" because that's what we initially said we'd do and he keeps saying he's not down or some other effect that I think would mean he wants ME. At one point, I teasingly said if he wanted to find someone he'd have to figure out what he wanted first, since he's so indecisive that that's the ultimate struggle for him. He responds, "we'll figure it out :p"

Also, he's spent a lot of his time off drinking with his family, which is probably why he gets all the courage to say these assertive things all of a sudden. He's pretty much an old man on the inside (he just turned 22), part of the reason I have these unwanted feelings for him, so I'm 99% sure I'm the only girl on his radar. He's also brutally honest with me when it comes to those kinds of things, which I do appreciate. It's just the emotions that he's terrible about using his words with, or whatever practical decisions actually need to be made in the moment. The communication thing can be a bit draining. I always have to poke and prod him to talk to me. Not that I mind, but I mean.. I had been actively trying to get over him right before this happened. I like him so much as a person I don't mind what we are. I'm just trying to be healthy about it. Not to mention all this pressure with him wanting me to be his date on NYE but me knowing he's so picky and indecisive and all the other crap that comes with going out in a big city on the holiday of the year. Thought of power tripping security guards and drunken masses makes me want to crawl under a rock, so him wanting to brave it with me and me not knowing him well enough to know how to handle this is ultimate pressure for me. If I do brave that shit it better be with a dope ass partner/group and a VIP table because screw that.

Anyway.

His behavior doesn't seem typical for an INTP right now, but I know each person is unique and I just can't find the answers I want on any of the forums or threads online. Sorry in advance for the long convoluted ineloquent post. I'm normally very articulate, but a near-week of loop after loop is starting to catch up, even for an incessant thinker/solver like me. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially with what to do for NYE. I sent him our options but knowing him, it'd be best for me to weigh out the situation and make an executive suggestion/decision. Clearly, I feel ill-equipped to do that as of this moment. Also, how the fuck do I proceed from here????? If he does try to step it up I'd be a more than a little frightened in all honesty. I spent 7 months wanting him and now that I'm exhaustedly thisclose to possibly having him I don't know what to do to ensure this procedure (HAH! it's all over the place at this point) stays healthy. I've never had a bf that I wasn't good friends with first so I'd want to take it slow. BEING ANYONE'S DATE FOR ANY HOLIDAY IS NOT TAKING IT SLOW. But I don't want him to withdraw anymore, either. Do I step back, do I let it flow, where this goes, I don't know..

tl;dr My on- off-again roller coaster of a 7-month INTP essential fwb who twice told me he "didn't want a relationship" and "got over" liking me suddenly wants to spend time with me for the holidays. Asked me out all on his own with subtle hints at wanting me and only me and insists on locking me down for NYE. Too much pressure. I don't know what to do with myself. Halp.

***very close to rocking myself in a disintegrated ball on the floor. I am a reasonable logical person most days, I don't need any lectures about anything apart from the prompt thanks. Much fragile already, pls be gentle OTL

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think if an INTP is that much into commitment with you, he really means it. Question is, what do YOU want?

MBTI Type
INFP
I think if an INTP is that much into commitment with you, he really means it. Question is, what do YOU want?

I do want him. I just don't know how to proceed from here, or if his actions are sincere. With all due respect - why do you think he's into commitment? Apart from the request for a date, everything else he's done seems to point the other way. I try to temper gut feeling with logic, and so far it works well, but this is entirely new territory for me and despite the learning lessons I'll be gaining, I'd still love to better comprehend straight from the source / through the other perspective.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I do want him. I just don't know how to proceed from here, or if his actions are sincere. With all due respect - why do you think he's into commitment? Apart from the request for a date, everything else he's done seems to point the other way. I try to temper gut feeling with logic, and so far it works well, but this is entirely new territory for me and despite the learning lessons I'll be gaining, I'd still love to better comprehend straight from the source / through the other perspective.

Go with it! From what I know about INTPs being commitment phobes sometimes (this is definitely from personal experience too), if he wants to do this I think he definitely means it. Do you want this though?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It just sounds exhausting. Trying to unpick it but it's pretty messy. If you have the patience and really want to be with him ok, but it's not going to get easier any time soon. Be prepared for it to continue in the same vein for quite some time.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
So you want him. That's great. Skip your birth control and suggest a romantic night out. After about 20 minutes, spike his drink and while touching his thigh with a smile, casually mention that you'd like to have lots of sex and babies. Then finish the job.

INTPs are natural submissives and will respond warmly to direct, forced and logical choices (read: Hume's Fork). He is also, of course, a man and Alle Männer follow our primal instincts.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Can't you just be honest with him and explain that you're open to the idea of being more than friends but that you'd like to take it slow?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
So you want him. That's great. Skip your birth control and suggest a romantic night out. After about 20 minutes, spike his drink and while touching his thigh with a smile, casually mention that you'd like to have lots of sex and babies. Then finish the job.

INTPs are natural submissives and will respond warmly to direct, forced and logical choices (read: Hume's Fork). He is also, of course, a man and Alle Männer follow our primal instincts.

Natural submissives? Bollocks.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
It's pretty easy to get warm fuzzies for someone while they're hundreds of miles away, but it tends to change pretty fast once you close the gap and turn on the giant Fi energy sucker. Don't get your hopes up too high. If I were you I'd expect and endless cycle of ups and downs forever, and keep at least one eye on potential new prospects.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-submissive-paradox-power-in-sexual-relations

Some of this applies to personality types too.

Basically, someone from a type you might assume to be more "dominant" could turn out to sexually "submissive" (and I've noticed this with NTPs, though a lot also seem to be asexual. Weird). You might be surprised just how often this turns out to be the case if you read into BDSM.

I found that to be a very good article. Thank you for posting.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-submissive-paradox-power-in-sexual-relations

Some of this applies to personality types too.

Basically, someone from a type you might assume to be more "dominant" could turn out to sexually "submissive" (and I've noticed this with NTPs, though a lot also seem to be asexual. Weird). You might be surprised just how often this turns out to be the case if you read into BDSM.

Interesting article, some of it I already knew and from what you say about NTPs, if that is true then I must be an atypical NTP - submissiveness doesn't appeal to me at all. Seeing a guy being submissive to his dom is just funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Jung said so as well.

Fetch me a time machine, I'll show him a thing or two

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Interesting article, some of it I already knew and from what you say about NTPs, if that is true then I must be an atypical NTP - submissiveness doesn't appeal to me at all. Seeing a guy being submissive to his dom is just funny.

I believe you.

However, what you or I might find appealing on a moral and intellectual level is usually not what turns us on. Why do you think there are so many people who are very embarrassed about their sexuality?

There is always the fetish guys are afraid to tell their girlfriends/wives about...

MBTI Type
INFP

- - - Updated - - -

Fetch me a time machine, I'll show him a thing or two

I agree. He's a pretty dominant one, the only exception being in social situations. Maybe he hasn't figured himself out yet?

He canceled today. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I am really sad though. He continuously promised all week so I was starting to have a little faith. Didn't see that one coming this time.

Flamme et Citron

I believe you.

However, what you or I might find appealing on a moral and intellectual level is usually not what turns us on. Why do you think there are so many people who are very embarrassed about their sexuality?

There is always the fetish guys are afraid to tell their girlfriends/wives about...

Clearly you're the one with the BDSM fetish, you can't stop bringing it up. Most people have 0 interest in BDSM, not because they're sexually repressed but because they don't like it. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Clearly you're the one with the BDSM fetish, you can't stop bringing it up. Most people have 0 interest in BDSM, not because they're sexually repressed but because they don't like it. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

"Can't stop bringing it up"

From somebody who supposedly has only two posts...you have been paying me a lot of attention.

I'll take it as a compliment though.