• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Noam Chomsky

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
Is this man an INTJ? He seems like one to me, but I don't have any evidence to base this on.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
INFJ probably.

He's the F equivalent of Dawkins.

I'm not sure where you are getting the F from.

The guy is dry, not sentimental, intellectual, keeps his cool, doesn't show emotion....

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
He seems quite perceptive to me. I would peg him as an INTP.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
INTPs and INTJs are very different. The I and NT seem obvious enough, but its troubling not to be able to tell an intuitionist from a thinker. That having been said, I actually am pretty sure that I can tell the difference, because to me he screams INTJ. But who am I to say? I will write him and get back to you.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJ probably.

He's the F equivalent of Dawkins.

Are you sure that Chomsky is more pre-occupide with good/bad assessments than true/false ones?

He seems quite perceptive to me. I would peg him as an INTP.

That's taking the naming convention waaay too literally.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure where you are getting the F from.

The guy is dry, not sentimental, intellectual, keeps his cool, doesn't show emotion....

I think his F shows in his political activism. (I think political activist NTs are about as common as NF engineers) He's not overtly emotional, but neither are most introverted feelers.

Are you sure that Chomsky is more pre-occupide with good/bad assessments than true/false ones?

definitely.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I wasn't taking it waaay too literally. He just seems to come off as being the INTP type to me. I could be right or wrong; we don't know.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasn't taking it waaay too literally. He just seems to come off as being the INTP type to me. I could be right or wrong; we don't know.

Well, you provided a premise and a conclusion, the premise being that he is perceptive, and the conclusion being that he is an INTP.

The thing is, a person could be really perceptive and not be a P.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think his F shows in his political activism. (I think political activist NTs are about as common as NF engineers) He's not overtly emotional, but neither are most introverted feelers.

He's not the bleeding heart activist in the front of the parade holding the signs that is the NF political activist stereotype. He's a intellectual before he is an activist, he'll write on politics, but he's not in Africa feeding the hungry he's not passing petitions.

There are lots of NT intellectuals who care a lot about the subjects they study.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Noam Chomsky isn't that perceptive. I don't think an INTP would have sided with Khmer Rouge like he did. At most, an INTP might distrust the American portrayal of the conflict, but they wouldn't overlook all of the evidence for the massacres and jump to the conclusion that it was the USA's fault.

He's not the bleeding heart activist in the front of the parade holding the signs that is the NF political activist stereotype. He's a intellectual before he is an activist, he'll write on politics, but he's not in Africa feeding the hungry he's not passing petitions.

There are lots of NT intellectuals who care a lot about the subjects they study.

He doesn't just write on politics though. He's a propagandist. I just don't think NTs tend to be so morally black and white that they paint entire countries as evil unless it's part of some strategy, like conquering a continent.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
He doesn't just write on politics though. He's a propagandist. I just don't think NTs tend to be so morally black and white that they paint entire countries as evil unless it's part of some strategy, like conquering a continent.

An NTJ would. But I think he might be an INTP, he does show many shades of gray in his writings, he admits to often wanting to take back or regretting things he just said.

Also, he gets paid for his thoughts, a good good vs. evil narrative is what people want to hear.

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Noam Chomsky is definately an INTP. If you're curious what an INTJ intellectual looks like on the ground then check out Stephen F. Cohen and his interviews with Charlie Rose. He reminds me of myself when I intellectualize.

Chomsky is a tremendous intellectual but he's very dry and speaks like a textbook. I'd much rather listen to a Howard Zinn or Stephen Cohen lecture.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Noam Chomsky is definately an INTP. If you're curious what an INTJ intellectual looks like on the ground then check out Stephen F. Cohen and his interviews with Charlie Rose. He reminds me of myself when I intellectualize.

Chomsky is a tremendous intellectual but he's very dry and speaks like a textbook. I'd much rather listen to a Howard Zinn or Stephen Cohen lecture.

I agree with this assessment. Though I find Chomsky to be an interesting and engaging speaker (notice I didn't say charismatic) the few times I've seen or heard him.

Jmm124567

During Vietnam Chomsky was arrested multiple times for his anti-war activism.

Jmm124567

Noam Chomsky isn't that perceptive. I don't think an INTP would have sided with Khmer Rouge like he did. At most, an INTP might distrust the American portrayal of the conflict, but they wouldn't overlook all of the evidence for the massacres and jump to the conclusion that it was the USA's fault.

I do see Noam as an INFJ. He uses a lot of Fe and Ti. Chomsky is a rationalist (Ti) instead of an empiricist (Te). There are Fe moral undertones in a lot of what he says. He debated French Philosopher Michel Foucault (ENTP) and said about Foucault: "He struck me as completely amoral, I’d never met anyone who was so totally amoral" ... "I mean, I liked him personally, it's just that I couldn't make sense of him. It's as if he was from a different species, or something."

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
INTJ, doubtful as he campaigned for a long while and protested at many points. The INTJ style I know wouldn't see the point in protesting...too much "crowd thinking".