• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] xNTPs, how do you tell your own kind from an xSTP?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wondering; is there some sort of method xNTPs have of telling a fellow xNTP from the similar-yet-wildly-different xSTP? If so, how?

The only way I can tell is if the xSTP lets themselves get crass/direct to the point, and if an xNTP keeps talking about various tangent. But how can you tell these cases from a blunt/copropraxic xNTP or a particularly intellectual xSTP?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am probably an xNTP. I've tested repeatedly over the years as one. My best friend is an xSTP so I may have some personal experience with this.
The real difference is in Ne-Si and Se-Ni and, as you know , these are different ways of looking at the world or gathering information. Our Ti-Fe commonality allow us to process the information from the world in a similar way. xSTPs are typically more focused on tasks than xNTPs are. xSTPs are great at zeroing in on one particular thing or a few things in the outside world and then extrapolating those things in their minds. xNTPs are great at looking at the outside world in a catch-all wide net not wholly focusing on a thing or a couple things but rather the abstract connections ( conceptually) between one thing and another.

For example, if an xNTP is looking at a painting they might not even really focus on the painting itself. They would see it broadly as a object related to other objects or instances at any point in time. So a xNTP sees a 300 year old painting they might ponder the time period and place the painting might have originated from and the long ass journey the painting took to arrive to its present location. It must have been traded all over the world, I wonder what people might have owned this painting at one time? Maybe this was hanging in an English castle at some point? Maybe it was in someone's basement during the Civil war? bla bla bla.
The xSTP , providing they have an interest in the art, may be more inclined to examine the art on its own terms. They may carefully look at the painting style in terms of the brush strokes and colors selected as well as the image purpose itself. They could logically deduce facts about some unknown painter just by the product of the painters work and particular skill and painting style used. They would catch nuance details others would just miss. It's like this artist was left-handed and had artheritis in a sort of Sherlock Holmes style deduction.
Yeah , it doesn't mean that xNTPs are incapable of noticing details or xSTPs can't can abstractly think of possibilities but both have their better strengths and preferences.

Petals

Give them a wrench.

If they build something amazing with it, then most likely they have the glory of Se in their hands.

If they decide to google "what is this?" or spend the next 5 hours in the rabbit hole of wikipedia, then they are probably Ne.

:)

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You mean obsessed :wink:

I think I agree more with this; xSTPs CAN definitely be interested in theories, but xNTPs tend to be more outright obsessed with the theoretical. I can be obsessed at times...but my obsessions tend to be more on the cool, awe-inspiring aspect of things rather than the theories themselves.

For instance, when I was younger, I used to obsess on volcanoes and lava because of how outright terrifying it looked and sounded; I only delved into the theoretical when certain portrayals of lava/volcanoes in movies were so terrifying that I wanted to know if it was real.

However...if we're talking about things that are 'possible' rather than 'proven'...I don't know. Things have only really interested me if they're facts, or if it's probable or proven; otherwise I feel like it's only speculation.

Simple. Just use the blood test.

This is beyond perfect.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I agree more with this; xSTPs CAN definitely be interested in theories, but xNTPs tend to be more outright obsessed with the theoretical. I can be obsessed at times...but my obsessions tend to be more on the cool, awe-inspiring aspect of things rather than the theories themselves.

For instance, when I was younger, I used to obsess on volcanoes and lava because of how outright terrifying it looked and sounded; I only delved into the theoretical when certain portrayals of lava/volcanoes in movies were so terrifying that I wanted to know if it was real.

However...if we're talking about things that are 'possible' rather than 'proven'...I don't know. Things have only really interested me if they're facts, or if it's probable or proven; otherwise I feel like it's only speculation.

This is beyond perfect.

I dig into theory alot for understanding of how it works because it will help me get where I wanna go. It's a means to an end. Gotta reach bigger, better, faster.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think xNTP's are intellectual.

You might respond with an insight with "I never connected those things. They are similar. That's deep. Thought provoking."

xSTP's are smart.

You may respond to an insight with "I can't believe I never saw that. It's so simple and it was right in front of me."

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think xNTP's are intellectual.

You might respond with an insight with "I never connected those things. They are similar. That's deep. Thought provoking."

xSTP's are smart.

You may respond to an insight with "I can't believe I never saw that. It's so simple and it was right in front of me."

I can't believe I never saw that! It's so simple, and yet it was right in front of me! xD (/irony)

MBTI Type
ENTP
ESTPs seem more serious and literal when they're pissed. Their intensity is viscerally present and being around them when they're like that is on the scary side. They cogently bring up every point that provoked them at a furious but coherent pace (Ti/Se), and at least I, as a rational, will agree that they have reason to be upset after hearing their spiel, but I'm still standing there like "yea I see your point but why you so mad?"

Their tertiary Fe works so that they will blow a pretty hot fuse, but it'll be gone when they're done. Some aren't done till they hit something, but if it comes down to physical blows it's not becuase they decided to, it's just where they decided to go cuz it felt right, part of their flow zone's slippery slope rather than anything with an actual point. They can also be very mean. They may post rationalize it all but don't let that fool you.

ENTPs will rant hard but it's less threatening for some reason. More like wavey hands around in the air like "what the fuck why would anyone do this it's absurd and infuriating lol" (Ne) rather than the ESTP stabbing index finger toward the ground "fuck this person for doing this I wanna shake em for being so stupid".

Neither type will be deeply angry, and they're not rallying themselves for remedial action or any real purpose necessarily, they're just sparked and down for the sport of ranting because why not, they have the fuel, i.e., they're technically in the right and they know it so they'll spray it. ISTPs/INTPs idk they just walk away and fume alone forever

Grossly generalizing here

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESTPs seem more serious and literal when they're pissed. Their intensity is viscerally present and being around them when they're like that is on the scary side. They cogently bring up every point that provoked them at a furious but coherent pace (Ti/Se), and at least I, as a rational, will agree that they have reason to be upset after hearing their spiel, but I'm still standing there like "yea I see your point but why you so mad?"

Their tertiary Fe works so that they will blow a pretty hot fuse, but it'll be gone when they're done. Some aren't done till they hit something, but if it comes down to physical blows it's not becuase they decided to, it's just where they decided to go cuz it felt right, part of their flow zone's slippery slope rather than anything with an actual point. They can also be very mean. They may post rationalize it all but don't let that fool you.

ENTPs will rant hard but it's less threatening for some reason. More like wavey hands around in the air like "what the fuck why would anyone do this it's absurd and infuriating lol" (Ne) rather than the ESTP stabbing index finger toward the ground "fuck this person for doing this I wanna shake em for being so stupid".

Neither type will be deeply angry, and they're not rallying themselves for remedial action or any real purpose necessarily, they're just sparked and down for the sport of ranting because why not, they have the fuel, i.e., they're technically in the right and they know it so they'll spray it. ISTPs/INTPs idk they just walk away and fume alone forever

I relate with the Ne form of being "pissed off."

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ha. From this explanation... You remind me of one of my best childhood friends.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

...maybe this is why people have been having such a negative/terrified reaction to my anger. xD I'm probably overselling it!

At the same time, I can see that I'm capable of dipping into xNTP habits at times. But still, largely, I get frustrated when the conversation changes too quickly (due to what I've observed to be a certain "distractibility" in Ne-based discussions). Or...when it doesn't change quickly enough (when people keep going on and on about what has already been said because they have to explore ALL of the variables, as opposed to coming up with a theory that's good enough and then finding ways of testing it to see if it holds up reality).

Incidentally, I used to believe I would end up being some form of science; but I quickly abandoned that tract in college because of the degree of theoretical hell I would have to endure just to get to do the FIELD work.

Also, I've noticed that xNTPs, while they are their own mavericks and rule-breakers, tend to have a larger hard-on for following pre-established symptoms; multiple xNTP friends of mine loooove all the steps of research and the essay-writing process (one of them even ENJOYS the arduous process of doing MLA citation), whereas I cannot STAND writing essays; I would much rather demonstrate what I know through discussion /demonstration and write about THINGS happening rather than getting hung up on the theory governing them.

Another thing that I've noticed; when the demonic sides of an xNTP shows, I've noticed they start acting like exaggerated xSFPs; underthinking, they want to DO things impulsively and begin to get overly attached to their friends and their morals, to the point of savagely displaying their anger if someone threatens their ability to...how you say...'get off'. For xSTPs, however, I notice we tend to fall into negative xNFP habits; overthinking, having fear of taking action due to unpleasant consequences, escapism (over half of my childhood and teenage years was spent physically acting out as if I were channeling the lives of an "alternate dimension" full of action-adventure and attractive women from movies I liked--this was to make growing up in a dying midwestern factory seem more tolerable until I gained financial independence and move on to greener pastures.)