• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do NTs experience crushes?

Usehername

On a mission
When you have a crush, does it last for a long or short unit of time?

Do you view your crush as an idealized version of her/himself, oblivious to the real person? Or is it just that you're so forgiving that you don't care about the faults that you see existing?

How much does this crush influence your decisions? (As an NT, I think it influences my feelings but not my final decision. It just makes the decision-making-process take longer b/c of all the feeling getting in the way.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My crushes are unhealthily and hopelessly obsessive.

They usually manifest themselves through networking sites, for I have never actually been asked out by a girl.

Luckily, I have a fabulous computer and Xbox 360 to filter unnatural and idiotic feelings of loneliness.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It has been a long time since I've had a real "crush" on anyone, but basically I analyze it just like I would anything else.

I am aware of what I am feeling and what it is, but just because I feel it would not mean I should act on it; it needs to be examined and the best course of action taken.

Still, I can get very giddy and silly when I have a crush on someone, and the emotions are obsessive and intense.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is rare, intense, and does not fade quickly (if at all).

I think, hope, I see the flaws of the other person and do not idealize.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My four crushes have all been long-term, either ending when I found an opportunity to ask the girl out or, if no chance to act on my feelings passed, naturally over time.

The two girls I approached, an ISTP and an INTP, were both interested as it turns out -- though neither relationship became serious, somewhat difficult circumstances magnifying the poor match between myself and perceiving types. Idealization didn't necessarily occur, but in the course of limerence I assigned far too much value to mutual interest and took each failure much too seriously. It wasn't until another (for whom no crush was had) rejected me with malice that I realized I could be rejected, even painfully, and not lose my stride.

As Park wrote on INTPc some time ago, I have found that I am most serene when a girl is neither in my life or my mind.

MBTI Type
ENTP
When I have a crush it may last for a long period of time , but it ebbs and flows. I hate rejection so when I'm crushing on someone and I think they like me, I'll be preoccupied with them until i get a sense that they are ignoring me more than usual, then I try to detach myself -"oh well, that might be it"...until they send another signal. That way I never spend any wasted effort on unrequited crushes. If I get a lot of mixed signals then I just try to forget about them.

Of course this is all dependent on my own intuitive interpretation of signals. I rarely discuss romance or crushes with friends, so i only have my own experience to draw from. My people-reading skills could be way off.

Usehername

On a mission
My crushes are unhealthily and hopelessly obsessive.

They usually manifest themselves through networking sites, for I have never actually been asked out by a girl.

Luckily, I have a fabulous computer and Xbox 360 to filter unnatural and idiotic feelings of loneliness.

lol.

i'm pretty sure that your "unnatural and idiotic feelings of loneliness" are actually a) normal and b) made worse by the fact that you probably don't socialize enough (frequency or depth) to make them less intense. at least, that's been my experience.

Usehername

On a mission
Ever since I've been old enough to have realistic crushes (i.e. not just the hottie older guys in high school, but actually people I've met and who know me a little bit) I find that a) I'm pretty accurate at figuring out whether or not they like me and b) I overthink things.

That has been my experience. I am crushing pretty hard right now.

There's a part of my brain that is the irrational completely feeling-driven part; this part makes up mundane fantasies of the two of us together. Very earthly, realistic "we could play catch" kinda fantasies.

The other 1/2 of my brain is inquisitively curious, and analyzes the irrational part of me that is crushing on this guy.

I would say I'm very aware of his shortcomings (those which I would know from our limited interaction).

I think the crush started in my brain toward his brain (he's very intelligent and funny), and radiated down into my "feelingly insides". I am quite certain that although he is physically attractive, that was only noticed once I noticed his brain.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
I'll come back and reply to this topic in more detail later.

I am quite certain that although he is physically attractive, that was only noticed once I noticed his brain.

I'm the same. First the brain, everything else comes later.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I am quite certain that although he is physically attractive, that was only noticed once I noticed his brain.
That's as it was with the INTP. She had actually once won a national beauty contest -- but when I first came across her, I would not have given her a second thought if I hadn't have read her writing.

Usehername

On a mission
Anyone else notice how NTs are the only ones replying to this thread on a Saturday night? I posted four; one for each. The three of them total one reply.

Personally, I went out last night to see some friends. That's my socializing for the weekend.

And I'm having fun switching between reading and listening to music and organizing my room.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Right now, MBTIc is one of the two forums I, while working on a project, am flipping over to.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Anyone else notice how NTs are the only ones replying to this thread on a Saturday night? I posted four; one for each. The three of them total one reply.
om.

Maybe this has something to do with over 75% of members being NTs?

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
The ones I've had in middle and high school were pretty intense inside my head, though I never really acted on them (I'm not sure how much actually showed through.) Pretty much what happened is that when the person was around, my brain would be focused on them and thinking about them a lot. It was sort of a split enjoyment/non-enjoyment when the crushes were around, part of my brain enjoyed being nearby someone I was attracted to, the other part wanted to get away so that I wouldn't have a large chunk of brain intensely thinking about the one or two people I was attracted to.

In junior year of high school, one got pretty intense inside my head, enough that I was pretty depressed by the end of the year (I'm not really sure what went wrong, describing what I have worked out happened would be kind of embarrassing.), I pretty much lost an interest in intense attraction to people, thanks to all the mental and emotional energy and turmoil spent on pretty much nothing.

Elwin_Ransom

MBTI Type
XNFJ
There's a part of my brain that is the irrational completely feeling-driven part; this part makes up mundane fantasies of the two of us together. Very earthly, realistic "we could play catch" kinda fantasies.

The other 1/2 of my brain is inquisitively curious, and analyzes the irrational part of me that is crushing on this guy.

I would say I'm very aware of his shortcomings (those which I would know from our limited interaction).

I think the crush started in my brain toward his brain (he's very intelligent and funny), and radiated down into my "feelingly insides". I am quite certain that although he is physically attractive, that was only noticed once I noticed his brain.

Thanks for the intel. I realize that this probably isn't why this thread was created, but such things help me to figure out how to better relate to Varelse. :blush: I'll leave before invading NT territory, now. ;)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I have a crush it may last for a long period of time , but it ebbs and flows. I hate rejection so when I'm crushing on someone and I think they like me, I'll be preoccupied with them until i get a sense that they are ignoring me more than usual, then I try to detach myself -"oh well, that might be it"...until they send another signal. That way I never spend any wasted effort on unrequited crushes. If I get a lot of mixed signals then I just try to forget about them.

Of course this is all dependent on my own intuitive interpretation of signals. I rarely discuss romance or crushes with friends, so i only have my own experience to draw from. My people-reading skills could be way off.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I was going to say. Except I'm overly paranoid, so unless someone's blatantly interested, I'll convince myself that they aren't and quickly lose interest, so my crushes usually don't last longer than a few months (if that).

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm the same. First the brain, everything else comes later.

Ditto. They have to be able to keep up with me first. I find wit and intelligence very sexy. I mean at the end of the day if you want to keep someone around you you need to be able to enjoy their company.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
It is often all or nothing for me. I fall hard. Try not to. It is unhealthy because I'm married.