• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Now the most emotionally stable type!

Which type is the most emotionally stable

• Total voters

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I almost never drop below "content" and almost never go above "pleased", so with my sample size of one, I'm gunna vote ISFP!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I almost never drop below "content" and almost never go above "pleased", so with my sample size of one, I'm gunna vote ISFP!

Lol, me too.

I'm surprised INTP has so many votes.
Many of the INTP's I know are very anxious and tense.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Lol, me too.

I'm surprised INTP has so many votes.
Many of the INTP's I know are very anxious and tense.
Such a big part of the total votes doesn't belong to INTP in my opinion, either.

A more important merit is to be emotionally alive AND stable, anyhow :cheese:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
And I like to add its useless cause type comes in different shapes

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Lol, there's a joke in this post.

To be honest I think that this poll is useless. Since majority votes for their type.

I would vote INTJ if I believed that the strictness of J-ness was more stable than the flexibility of P-ness.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I would vote INTJ if I believed that the strictness of J-ness was more stable than the flexibility of P-ness.

I have seen this calim so many times that I will have to respond.

This totally depends on how expressed INTJ is. YOu can be emotionally stabile and be quite J at the same time. To have that you will need to have well developed NT part. Which will control your J all the time.

Probably I should write a more detailed dynamic of this combination in some other thread.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Furthermore in the end its totally unwanted. Who wants to be emotionally stable ? Even INTJs freak out to write the detailed dynamic about something ... so who wants to be emotionally stable ?

I guess such a behaviour ultimatively must lead to you conquering a nation and start a world war, to spread the stability amongst your future bretheren...

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
"I am the Zen master. I am the calm, quiet little center of the universe."

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What exactly is emotionally stability supposed to mean?

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Poll results aren't worth much, because the question is too vague and there are not enough measurable qualities.

I'm not sure I would agree that INTPs are the most emotionally stable type. Personally, I feel my emotions quite strongly at times (music, for instance). They are very invigorating.

If you truly mean "the highs and lows" of emotion, then all types experience them near equally. We're all human.

If you are asking which type is most expressive with emotions, maybe ESF? Not sure on that one.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't think INTP/J's are emotionally stable, they just think they can think everything through. :harhar:

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Better explanation:

The Big 5 is a test that better suits this need.

The Big 5 tests for self-reported neuroticism with prompts like:

-I'm easily emotionally disturbed
or
-I have frequent mood swings.

See:
Big Five personality traits - Neuroticism

The MBTI doesn't measure for emotional stability.

In addition, the correlation between any of the MBTI traits and neuroticism on the Big 5 is the lowest of all the correlations between MBTI and Big 5.

See:
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - Correlations to other instruments

These data suggest that four of the MBTI scales are related to the Big Five personality traits. These correlations show that E-I and S-N are strongly related to extraversion and openness respectively, while T-F and J-P are moderately related to agreeableness and conscientiousness respectively. The emotional stability dimension of the Big Five is largely absent from the original MBTI . . .

If you don't understand this post, here's the simple version:

MBTI doesn't measure it. It's not type related.

Stop wasting your time.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a very subjective opinion based on ancedotal evidence and a small sample size.
When INTP's are facing intense negative emotion that they just cannot rationalise away and get away from, they are sticky emotional messes, and they hate getting help. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate INTP's for thier strengths but emotional stability isn't one of them. INTP's can be so resistent to change that their whole world could be crumbling down, and they still don't make changes, and then wonder why they are so depressed.
Did I mention stubborn? This isn't any means the whole INTP population, but you can be stubborn. You stick to your way, come high or hell water, and wonder why no-one's around when you're proven right.

Do you know why I said S-J's are the most emotionally stable (when healthly), particularly STJ's - because that's what they do. They make everything safe and comfortable, and stable. They strive for this. The STJ at work, is great. She's lays everything on the table. These are the rules, you stick to them I'll do my best by you. If you don't, you better look out. She never gets angry (she can get grumpy but it's predictable what gets her grumpy), but she's dependable, she never flakes out even in a crisis, she just gets on with it. I've never seen ISTJ flake out.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
This is a very subjective opinion based on ancedotal evidence and a small sample size.
When INTP's are facing intense negative emotion that they just cannot rationalise away and get away from, they are sticky emotional messes, and they hate getting help. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate INTP's for thier strengths but emotional stability isn't one of them. INTP's can be so resistent to change that their whole world could be crumbling down, and they still don't make changes, and then wonder why they are so depressed.
Did I mention stubborn? This isn't any means the whole INTP population, but you can be stubborn. You stick to your way, come high or hell water, and wonder why no-one's around when you're proven right.

Do you know why I said S-J's are the most emotionally stable (when healthly), particularly STJ's - because that's what they do. They make everything safe and comfortable, and stable. They strive for this. The STJ at work, is great. She's lays everything on the table. These are the rules, you stick to them I'll do my best by you. If you don't, you better look out. She never gets angry (she can get grumpy but it's predictable what gets her grumpy), but she's dependable, she never flakes out even in a crisis, she just gets on with it. I've never seen ISTJ flake out.

I've provided equally subjective anecdotal evidence explaining why this isn't the case. Also, none of your examples are about emotional stability at all. Your INTP example is about stress response, and how weather a storm until we arise coming out of it being proven correct. How is that indicative of emotional instablity?

And your SJ example is just bizarre. Basically, you say "Listen to me and I will like you, disagree with how it should be done and I will flip out and become an obstinate, pain in the ass." Which is what I have experienced, and it is something I would not call emotional stability. As INTPs, trust us, we are generally indifferent to you regardless of pretty much anything. If you we like you, you may not notice, and if we hate you, you still probably wouldn't notice. Who has their emotions more ordered and stable in that situation?

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP

What do you consider 'intense negative emotion'? Can you provide an example?

"INTP's can be so resistant to change"

Can you provide an example? This is too broad and can run the gamut between changing a preferred brand to changing who you are because someone else thinks you should?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm talking about consistency perhaps as opposed stability. INTP's are often far from predicable in thier reactions. In my eyes that doesn't equate with emotional stability. STJ's are a little more predicitable if you know them well.
Stressful enviroments are a true weather vane to one's emotional stability. He/she who cracks first is generally not stable in a relax enviroment either.
In my experience, INTP's either withdraw and/or take up a me against the world mentaity neither response is condusive to getting the job done.
Example the INTP who won't move his desk because HE sees no logical reason for it. Manager asked him to do it so she could move all the new staff closer to her desk, so she could answer thier questions when needed. He sulked, and became particularly uncooperative. He frequently does this when he sees no logic behind things. Yet he'll stay back and work hours into the night if it's one of his little projects, no protest, no argument, and no sulking.
STJ, in particular ISTJ, in a no fuss manner usually just stick thier heads down and get on with it. No fuss, and usually within the protocols set down.
One particularly stressful day when both analysers were down, every one was wired, and sniping at each, the ISTJ, cool as a cucumber, started to pull apart the first analyser, then the second one. She was focused, and calm even when the mad ESFJ (not a good example) was making a fuss and carry on. She could have been at the beach, or least quietly meditating going by her demenour. She never snaps, she never has outbursts, never seen her sulk...she just gets on with it. Sometimes she grumpy, but you can olnly tell that because she gets real terse.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
theres no emotionally stable type, only emotionaly mature person

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
and so it makes sensr for xxxP's to be better at it
and so it makes sense for xNxP's to be better at it
and so it makes sense for xNTP's to be better at it