• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Now the most emotionally stable type!

Which type is the most emotionally stable

• Total voters

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Each type has its own version of emotionally stable. INTPs are not emotionally stable just because they don't show emotion and ENFJs are not emotionally unstable just because they show more emotion than you are comfortable with.

Honestly! Everyone here knows that the world is populated by many different types, so why are we all trying to define a term like "emotionally stable" as something that would look identical in all of them?

As an INTP who frequents a site with other INTPs (and maybe you even know some in real life), if you cannot admit that we have a propensity to repress emotions then maybe you are more emotionally unstable than you thought.

The fact that we look more even tempered does not mean that we are actually stable.

I agree with these two comments of yours, both with the qualifier that as I have come to understand 'Type', it is a propensity for a preference, and given that maturity comes through growth induced change or change that is the result of growth, hence my relative/approximated sure/certain-ish view that polar opposites balance and aid growth in a complimentary manner at least when it comes to experience based inferences also (Jennifer's & one or two other ppl's help was crucial in enunciating and completing the understanding of this).

Most dependable and reliable in times of crisis where the crisis is related to that which an INTP is very or most uncomfortable with is the point I see further elaborated/clarified by your comment.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I just want to say that many people voted for their type or some very similar type.

Because of that, poll results are useless.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I've appreciated the exchange between Jack and Gen.

I was comparing Jack's comment regarding his emotions and the way my ISTJ husband would(n't) describe his.

The difference would be, I think, that Jack recognizes that he is having uncomfortable feeling and uses his thought process to deal with them. That can be a healthy way of processing feeling.

My husband probably wouldn't recognize that he was having problematic emotion until he expressed it - ah, acted it out. I wouldn't be sure of this coment because discussing his feelings is an unusual thing for him to.

Through the years he's gotten very good at dealing with his emotions and appears to be a healthy, stable individual. But as an NF I have a natural bias toward early recognition and healthy expression.

Did I interpret you correctly?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Kaiser! You look vaguely familiar. . .

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
NF recognition =/= healthy expression. I know far far too many NFs who think their constant awareness of the shifting sands of their emotions means that they are good at handling them. This does not follow.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
NF recognition =/= healthy expression. I know far far too many NFs who think their constant awareness of the shifting sands of their emotions means that they are good at handling them. This does not follow.

Agreed. Much in the same way that my ISTJ thinks he handles his feelings well because he sometimes doesn't recognize them.

It has been my experience as an NF that they refuse to be brushed aside and, because of the intensity at times, it has become crucial, if I'm not going to live like a hermit, to learn how to deal with them in a way that will promote social harmony and self-acceptance.

In order to do this satisfactorily I do many feelings checks daily to stay on top of things.

It's less a matter of pride and more a matter of social necessity.

And emotions aren't social imperatives as so many folks seem to think.

As in:

"I hadda hit him. He pi**ed me off." or "You gotta change cuz you're making me sad."

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP

How many NFs do you know, who aren't aware of their "shifting sands", that do better?

It may not automatically follow but that doesn't mean it isn't the starting point.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Nope, it's just the first step; that's where their less used thinking function comes in useful.

T

ThatGirl

I think that Thatgirl is the epitome of emotional stability.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Nope, it's just the first step; that's where their less used thinking function comes in useful.
Exactly, the one step is not all there is to handling it, especially if the person gets stuck right there, spinning the wheel.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've appreciated the exchange between Jack and Gen.

I was comparing Jack's comment regarding his emotions and the way my ISTJ husband would(n't) describe his.

The difference would be, I think, that Jack recognizes that he is having uncomfortable feeling and uses his thought process to deal with them. That can be a healthy way of processing feeling.

My husband probably wouldn't recognize that he was having problematic emotion until he expressed it - ah, acted it out. I wouldn't be sure of this coment because discussing his feelings is an unusual thing for him to.

Through the years he's gotten very good at dealing with his emotions and appears to be a healthy, stable individual. But as an NF I have a natural bias toward early recognition and healthy expression.

Did I interpret you correctly?
Yeah. Plus, I said somewhere before that I've noticed ISTJs blindsided by emotion.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know what they're teaching in grade school anymore. So maybe they are teaching more about dealing with feelings in a healthy way.

(My son once came home singing, "Feelings are so filthy. (healthy)" and that sounded about right to me and the way I was raised!) Yes. He's a Tee.

But it occurs to me that that first step of being able to recognize one's feelings state is one which could leave many "stuck." How many people even know what to do with an uncomfortable feeling besides act it out?

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
But it occurs to me that that first step of being able to recognize one's feelings state is one which could leave many "stuck." How many people even know what to do with an uncomfortable feeling besides act it out?

Is that true? Do most people think the only thing you can do with feelings, or maybe I'm aiming this at Ts, is act them out?

I always try to understand WHY i'm feeling the way I am, then I know whether I need to take action to avoid or encourage such feelings.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Most emotionally stable? Has nothing to do with type.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Is that true? Do most people think the only thing you can do with feelings, or maybe I'm aiming this at Ts, is act them out?

I always try to understand WHY i'm feeling the way I am, then I know whether I need to take action to avoid or encourage such feelings.
That's an interesting question?
I would think that the types that do act out their uncomfortable feelings would also be the ones who end up being on the list of "least emotionally stable".

Most of the time, I don't know what I'm feeling.
But if I get a friend who will listen to me, and ask me questions,
I can usually figure it out in about 10 minutes.

Take yesterday, for example, I was going around most of the day yesterday doing that "blowing" thing. It's sort of an involuntary breathing pattern where I take a deep breath and blow it out. I know that type of breathing is a symptom that means I'm stressed out, but in reality, I have no idea what concerns or worries are causing this stress. And until I get an empathetic listener to help me, I won't figure it out.

I wouldn't really care about it except that these days (in my old age) stress seems to be manifesting itself in nasty physical symptoms, so if I let it go too long, I start suffering even worse.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Why are the INTJs winning do you think (apart from the fact that they always do)?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Most emotionally stable? Has nothing to do with type.
Seriously?! :shock:

Hmm. That's interesting.
Because MBTT doesn't measure emotional stability?
I don't know... when people start manifesting their shadows,
they are still quite predictable, generally speaking.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Why are the INTJs winning do you think (apart from the fact that they always do)?
Ha! Cool!

I used to be quite emotionally unstable, so I didn't bother voting for INTJ.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Seriously?! :shock:

Hmm. That's interesting.
Because MBTT doesn't measure emotional stability?
I don't know... when people start manifesting their shadows,
they are still quite predictable, generally speaking.
Emotional stability would firstly depend upon how you define emotion and how you define stable. As has been esablished in many conversations though INTJs are very analytical (sometimes even leaving the whole "ytical" out completely) their results are still based on emotional bias and when called on it they can get quite irate. Such big red buttons I see as a sign of not being stable.

Now if we move towards stability being "less reactive to stressers" then again it depends upon what is stressing them. I've seen people who are laid back (supposedly) who get quite shirty about little things and people who are known to be hot heads remain calm. It's very dependant upon how much they care and how prepared they are.

I know that certain types leave themselves open to stress like ESTJs, ENFPs and so on but for a type immune to stress.. I don't think there is one. This whole stability thing is totally dependant upon definition, parameters and how much you read into things.

I just don't see it as a link which can be made to type any more than it can be made to circumstance, demeanour, enneagram, diet or any number of things. Emotional stability - type is a fad diet.