• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Now the most emotionally stable type!

Which type is the most emotionally stable

• Total voters

Atomic Fiend

I agree.

The ISTJs I know are barely human, when it comes to emotions. They repress them with such a strength it's often disturbing to be too much in contact with them.

Repressed emotions and emotional stability are two very different things.

On one hand you have the guy who feels something but won't admit he feels it, for whatever reason he refuses to. On the other hand you have someone who feels and allows himself to feel it, because he's aware that there's a reason it's there to begin with, to be expierenced and felt. One of them actually moved with that feeling, how far he decides to go with that feeling defines how stable he is, but still even if he does go to far he's still in a better place emotionally then the guy who didn't decide to move at all.

Please someone get this.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
I hope this doesn't turn into another T vs. F thread.

Please define emotional stability. Are you talking about being comfortable with one's own emotions and/or being comfortable with the emotions of others? Are you talking about internal emotional stability? Are you talking about being emotionally disengaged with others hence giving the impression of being stable?

It's done. I said, it means here : experiencing the less high and downs, the less lunatic, depressed and so on....

Why someone put 2 stars? So silly! The thread interests people...

I bet, it's an INTP! :D

ENFPs are calm?!? :shock:

Calm and stable is not the same. Any combination between calm/excited, stable/unstable is possible.
You can be calm and being often down, and the contrary

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Definitely not me! :laugh:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is this in the NT section?

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
Repressed emotions and emotional stability are two very different things.

On one hand you have the guy who feels something but won't admit he feels it, for whatever reason he refuses to. On the other hand you have someone who feels and allows himself to feel it, because he's aware that there's a reason it's there to begin with, to be expierenced and felt. One of them actually moved with that feeling, how far he decides to go with that feeling defines how stable he is, but still even if he does go to far he's still in a better place emotionally then the guy who didn't decide to move at all.

Please someone get this.

I think everyone experience emotions, regardless of type and ways to deal with emotion, there are going to be times that an emotion is completely overwhelming to a person and they are not going to be able to handle previous functions to control or rein back those emotions.

In the case of your first guy, he is so used to repressing and not dealing or sorting out his emotions...he is more likely to have a stronger physical reaction to an overwhelming emotion. And to be seen as emotionally unstable.

The second guy may not be able to handle it as he normally does, but will still have more coping skills and previous experience to figure it out. He is less likely to be seen as emotionally unstable.

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
Emotional stability in my opinion is developed as we learn to accept our emotions as a natural part of our humanness and stop trying to battle them.

I think it has less to do with type and more to do with a conscious choice that individuals need to become aware of in order to develop and mature.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hmmm...

I don't dare vote yet until BlueWing makes his analysis.

That's a hard question because I keep thinking of Naomi Quenck's book "Beside Ourselves" and I keep thinking that even if a type is normally stable, when they lose they're cool, they might not be that stable.

Who's boat is the hardest to rock,
and once you do rock it,
who gets moved the least?

Just off the top, I'd say ISTJ is a great candidate for that.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i can at least speak for myself right? ENFP's are not emotionally stable :D. we let things get to us way too easily, eve when we know we shouldn't. for example, if i'm in a discussion/debate and someone manages to outdo me in my logic, i tell myself that he's just arguing the case, it's nothing personal. however, then i ask myself why my logic could not be any better in that case, and i think about all the comebacks i could have said and it makes me feel kinda shite. :p there HAS to be more emotionally stable groups than us :D.

ISTP's seem to be a very stable group. i really haven't seen an ISTP get pissed off over much. even at their most animated/emotional they seem completely calm and rational.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
i can at least speak for myself right? ENFP's are not emotionally stable :D. we let things get to us way too easily, eve when we know we shouldn't. for example, if i'm in a discussion/debate and someone manages to outdo me in my logic, i tell myself that he's just arguing the case, it's nothing personal. however, then i ask myself why my logic could not be any better in that case, and i think about all the comebacks i could have said and it makes me feel kinda shite. :p there HAS to be more emotionally stable groups than us :D.

ISTP's seem to be a very stable group. i really haven't seen an ISTP get pissed off over much. even at their most animated/emotional they seem completely calm and rational.

Actually, no. I consider myself very emotionally stable. Granted, I have lots of emotions and sometimes feel 2 or 3 different ways about the same thing. But I don't take it out on anyone else, I'm not a basket case, I can clearly articulate how and why I am feeling such n such way.

From what you have posted you do not sound emotionally unstable either. It's ok to think of witty comebacks you should have said in a debate. It's another story altogether to go crying and throwing things at the person you debated :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
INTP are stable ? I hold that and raise for 500 xD

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Actually, no. I consider myself very emotionally stable. Granted, I have lots of emotions and sometimes feel 2 or 3 different ways about the same thing. But I don't take it out on anyone else, I'm not a basket case, I can clearly articulate how and why I am feeling such n such way.

From what you have posted you do not sound emotionally unstable either. It's ok to think of witty comebacks you should have said in a debate. It's another story altogether to go crying and throwing things at the person you debated :)

well true enough, i don't take it out on anyone else. i just sort of keep it all inside. dad describes me as a time bomb for this reason though. that's no good. i guess when people asked for an 'emotionally stable' type, i was thinking more in terms of what emotions they feel inside rather than how they show it.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP

What you describes has nothing to do with emotionnal stability, the way I described it.

strawberryfields

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'd say ISTJ. The ISTJ's I know can be phenomenally emotionally 'stable' even in a crisis. I get the feeling with most ISTJ's it is genuinely that they don't feel particularly emotional about things, rather than them unhealthily suppressing emotions. (Incidentally, I am not saying ISTJ's are unfeeling. One particular ISTJ I have in mind is empathetic and caring when someone is upset, yet never demonstrates any emotion of his own.) Hm, actually, now I've said that, one thing I have seen ISTJ's express is anger. Propensity towards anger isn't really the sign of an emotionally stable person. I'm going to keep thinking bout this..

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
well true enough, i don't take it out on anyone else. i just sort of keep it all inside. dad describes me as a time bomb for this reason though. that's no good. i guess when people asked for an 'emotionally stable' type, i was thinking more in terms of what emotions they feel inside rather than how they show it.

I think everyone goes through a range of emotions inside. There is nothing wrong with that.

As an ENFP I experience my emotions rather raw as well and a whole lot of them. I think that I am more apt to be able to deal with my emotions rather than explode on the outside world because of it.

Just because you feel things doesn't make you unstable.

:hug:

My dad (INTP) once told me that I have "issues" but in a "good way." Whatever that means, LOL.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I think everyone goes through a range of emotions inside. There is nothing wrong with that.

As an ENFP I experience my emotions rather raw as well and a whole lot of them. I think that I am more apt to be able to deal with my emotions rather than explode on the outside world because of it.

Just because you feel things doesn't make you unstable.

:hug:

My dad (INTP) once told me that I have "issues" but in a "good way." Whatever that means, LOL.

funny that, when it comes to emotions my INTP dad just says i have issues full stop :D. thanks for the support and thanks for the hug, though i have to say that looking at your DP, i am a bit scared now :D

HomeSlice

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Probably anyone with an E because they easily express their emotions without keeping them in. They are usually more comfortable with themselves than the introvert.

The introvert may appear to be emotionally stable, but they really aren't because they are holding back. That is, unless they are completely ok with that...

man... lol it depends
i'm going to say ENFJ

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
Probably anyone with an E because they easily express their emotions without keeping them in. They are usually more comfortable with themselves than the introvert.

The introvert may appear to be emotionally stable, but they really aren't because they are holding back. That is, unless they are completely ok with that...

man... lol it depends
i'm going to say ENFJ

I think the definitions of emotional stability are different from type to type, I'm seeing a pattern.

I do not have many high and lows. However, if I get a strong feeling, it does come out, but I get over it, privately, within a short period. Then I just get a hold of myself, refocus, and am harmonious again. Internal harmony between Mind, Body, and Spirit (emotion) is key for me.

I also don't think I put myself in positions that cause too many emotional issues to begin with (I detest drama and actually will scowl at people who attempt to bring me into it). So I guess that helps the stability.

Now I do know from experience, that when you fall into depression as an INTJ, you can break down pretty easy because you think you are flawed. I went through a period where everything went wrong at the same time, and it crushed me. However, when I moved on I got into the complete opposite, healed up, and now am at probably the height of personality(INTJ) health I have ever been in my life, and plan to keep it that way.

I like it because I can handle anything. Heck, the apocalypse can come even.:2ar15: