• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] What does Ne look like? Can you easily spot it in a crowd?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I figured I'd ask this question over in NT land since ENTPs use Ne so I assume you guys would have just as much experience with it as the NF world does with ENFPs using Ne.

I've read here and there on various threads on this forum that people can easily "spot" it amongst a crowd or easily see it when people use it, and being an ENFP, I'm just curious what that even means. Sure I use it and can identify it as my strongest function, but since that's all I know, I'm wondering how others see it, that don't use Ne as their first function.

I suppose if I had to guess, people could assume I'm a strong Ne user since I often make off-the-wall comments and jokes, and my type of humor is pretty much anything bizarre and weird, like two people having a normal conversation in a cartoon, then having some flying upside down elephant with dancing mice on its belly zoom past the screen, with those two people totally ignoring the incident. That would have me laughing SO hard.

So what do you guys think? I'm interested to see what NTs may say since you'd probably have a fantastically objective viewpoint as opposed to my fellow NFers.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, that's my kind of humor too. I love nonsense shit, stuff that seems out of place. Is that connected with Ne? How?

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm no master of the MB types and functions, but to me, random stuff like that appeals to our inner workings and how we come up with ideas naturally. So, shows like Spongebob and Family Guy are right up my alley because it's basically a portrayal of how I think. Like, I come up with ideas without regard to social norms and other restrictions, so whether it's through a creative endeavor or just day-to-day stuff, my mind is constantly coming up with hypotheticals. I find my most juicy and bat-shit crazy ideas tend to come if I'm doing some boring, repetitive task like putting away coat hangers when I used to work retail. The more boring of a situation I'm in, the more my mind seems to compensate.

You ever find yourself doing that too?? I feel this is Ne in full force.

Kas

Fabula rasa
like two people having a normal conversation in a cartoon, then having some flying upside down elephant with dancing mice on its belly zoom past the screen, with those two people totally ignoring the incident.

I can't spot it in crowds. But your example is so good that I needed to quote it.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I can't spot it in crowds. But your example is so good that I needed to quote it.

Aww thank you Kas! I had an entire scene painted in my head when I was typing that short bit of nonsense, but I felt it had to end somewhere. I'd say a drawback to thinking this way however, is when I try to communicate. I feel my mouth can't move nearly quick enough half the time so I often trip over my own words or blend words together to try and spit thoughts out fast enough. (The ENFP meme of a guy vomiting a rainbow on an INTJ comes to mind)

Kas

Fabula rasa
Aww thank you Kas! I had an entire scene painted in my head when I was typing that short bit of nonsense, but I felt it had to end somewhere. I'd say a drawback to thinking this way however, is when I try to communicate. I feel my mouth can't move nearly quick enough half the time so I often trip over my own words or blend words together to try and spit thoughts out fast enough. (The ENFP meme of a guy vomiting a rainbow on an INTJ comes to mind)

That is actually something that I associate with Ne:)
But if it comes to sense of humor, I think it's type unrelated. Two people who share (the most) my sense of humor are INTJ and INFJ/INFP (rather the first one).

dog

MBTI Type
infp
me and my enfp friend can bounce ideas off eachother literally for hours! (until his wife cut us off:mad:)....once we created a talk show (while texting) called "the hot tub" (literally the whole show-about 20 episodes- takes place in a hot tub)...another time we got so caught up in our conversation he had to stop and say, "do you realize we have 3 topics going on at the same time?"......but for the most part i bore the hell out of people...or absolutely drain the hell out of them (conversely, their mundane everyday life details make me puke).....often i wonder if a lot of the psychos, jobless, homeless, hippies, street people etc are Ne. At 1st they seem really scary or stupid. but such wonderful and/or bizarre people once you get to know them....

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, that's my kind of humor too. I love nonsense shit, stuff that seems out of place. Is that connected with Ne? How?

nonsense humor is super Ne. it's that tiniest connection between things that's so absurd besides that one little string of reason tying it together. the more ridiculous the better. Ne is about finding possible, out of the box, connections.

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
nonsense humor is super Ne. it's that tiniest connection between things that's so absurd besides that one little string of reason tying it together. the more ridiculous the better. Ne is about finding possible, out of the box, connections.
That's so true. I love that kind of absurd humour. When I loosen up with close friends, it's how I joke around, a lot more extemporaneously than I ever am in any other situation. Apparently I score about as high on Ne as on Ni, by some tests, so that makes sense.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Mr. Show's stream-of-consciousness format and Cards Against Humanity might be good examples of Ne humor.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is me in a room full of Ne users:

Confused-gif.gif

83360467.gif

I'm like "SLOW DOWN, TAKE ONE DAMN IDEA AND DEVELOP THAT CONCEPT..."

Then they're like:

[URL=http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=HOWABOUTWEADDSOMEFLYINGPENGUINSTOTHECONCEPTOFOREN-SICPSYCHOLOGY%3F%21]#HOWABOUTWEADDSOMEFLYINGPENGUINSTOTHECONCEPTOFOREN-SICPSYCHOLOGY?! [/URL]

Sometimes+i+ve+been+clubbing+by+myself+and+pretend+to+be+_d5c3f7deba24b0440a65681a1196a695.gif

And I'm like:

emma-stone-no-no-no-no-no-gif-bgod.gif

And then they're all like:

tumblr_mcgqgjWmYQ1qaq1cr.gif

And I finish off with:

023e5961b01a9135f055c2360bbe59e7.jpg

tumblr_muzwyariU71ql5yr7o1_250.gif

In short, heavy Ne users are:
10ffeffbc8df95a4a06acd0de8ff964d.jpg

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ah yes, Sisko's version of the facepalm maneuver. A lesser known hit but a classic in its own right.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=23098]Captain_Invincible[/MENTION] but what if the flying Penguins were the missing piece all along?!?!

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ooh perfect thread to study up. :):reading::bookish::hardatwork:

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
me and my enfp friend can bounce ideas off eachother literally for hours! (until his wife cut us off:mad:)....once we created a talk show (while texting) called "the hot tub" (literally the whole show-about 20 episodes- takes place in a hot tub)...another time we got so caught up in our conversation he had to stop and say, "do you realize we have 3 topics going on at the same time?"

I am far too aware of this phenomenon, and it happens often to me too haha