• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] When an INTJ's Heart gets Ripped Apart

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
It is rare for an INTJ machine to feel crushed and ripped apart the way I do after my 5 year relationship was ended this evening. As a result, I decided to verbalize my feelings and share them with fellow MBTICentralers. The reason I chose to share is that it might be the case that I never feel this way again - even tomorrow may be too late because I will be well into the healing process. In doing this, I am giving MBTICentral the essence of my particular feeling tone. I am giving MBTI the gold.

The world is a cruel place. Those who accept this assumption are labeled cynical. Those who deny it - naive. Even these black-and-white labels are deceptive for various reasons but I digress. The world is not only a cruel place, but one that is made up of actors. These actors have no feelings. They learn to laugh at the right moments and they learn to project an image of deep empathy but it is a facade. Empathy for others remains minimal.

When I say that the world is cruel, we can extend this idea to mean that the world is unrewarding. You can pump your guts and soul into a person, a hobbie, a passion, or even an idea and in the face of such loyalty - a magnificent love that can only take place beyond good and evil - things change in a moment and you become thinned, pale, weary, and shattered. Once broken open, the cruel actors pick and goad you like children do dying animals. The sadists, who all long to see the fall of a prince - who long for the disgrace of a decent man, feel releaved and energized. For too long was your decency and virtue invoking powerlessness in these subhumans. The injustice of it all is sickening.

Everything I've stated so far is so surface-like it makes me cringe. If I had Dostoevsky's brain with my feelings I might get some relief in translating feelings to words and ideas. But the telling I've provided gives no sense of relief. I hate that this can't be fixed, it's not solvable. I hate the unsolvable. Every ad hoc solution only creates a new problem. Nothing can be changed through voluntary action. Powerlessness. Do you resist? Do you resist when all the data and logic indicates that every resistence merely increases the strength of the problem? Add to this all the aforementioned cruel actors who poke at your situation post factum as though they knew it all along. Yes, hindsight is 20-20. Humans love beating each other well their down. A sort of decrepit and vile species that gains satisfaction in this. Like a Mohammed Ali fight - with everyone going to see the undefeated champion lose. But why should they matter? Why assign these people any value what-so-ever?

Why let negativity win? Too often I see the spirit of others around me grow weary by age and habit. Like a flower that ages and begins to die: as it ages and dies the parts shrivle up and become prune-like. With each negative breath a new part of the flower falls off. Eventually, after all the suffering has been disemminated to people of this world there is nothing left of the flower. Why translate my suffering into a negative worldview? Again we are such actors, "I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist" - a way of cloaking one's beliefs. Indeed, everything profound loves the mask, a first-rate hiding-place.

Why does it spread so fast? Is it true that negative energy can be neither created nor destroyed? Does the logic parallel to the law of thermodynamics? Why then does negative energy travel so much faster and further than positive energy. What is the cure for this cancer?

Can this negative energy be channeled into creating something of magnificent aesthetic value? Deny the cancer? Then I am only lying to myself like the other pseudo-optimists.

Is the collision of consciousness ever-existing? Does it take good to know bad and vice versa? For every bit of good is there also a corresponding bad, for every piece of creation - one of destruction? Are these two forces eternally recurring right down to the simplest yes and no?

Why am I fronting? I know these questions are still shallow. I don't know what's deeper - I don't know what I feel deep down. Today, everything I have been making for years was shattered. I built a life, I altered course, I got 4.0 GPAs, I decided I want to go to law school and maybe even be Prime Minister one day, I gave the world everything I could and got kicked in the teeth.

Now everyone will begin to ask questions because we were together for so long. If I put up a shield they will pick and pry it apart to take it down because - didn't you know - people after breakups are supposed to feel a certain way. Now the judging starts. No, the judging was always there but now they have a pretext to make it known. To publish their venom. Their "I knew she wasn't for you" or "I saw that one coming". Fuck it. Even those who don't say it think it. They will hint with their eyes or body language. Torment. There is no escaping such cruelty. Mankind needs to ascribe order to things. Nothing can be random. Everyone knows the cause. Now all the pseudo-analysts have a pretext to come out and judge like gods.

It was a perfect breakup - I will give her that. Having not seen her for two months while she was working away, I picked her up from the airport with flowers and coffee, and would go on to have a nice feast with the family. Then, by my suggestion, we decided to take a walk. Partway through she brought "us" up and eventially dropped the b-bomb. Then, crushed and torn apart while walking, she asked for my input. ha.

Again, there is no single problem. My reductionist approach is insufficient. Love isn't like a machine where if the parts (the springs, nuts and bolts) fall apart they can be put back together and restored. Love doesn't work like a clockwork. There is no single problem and there is no single solution. Love is magnificent albeit irrational. It is beyond intellectual comprehension. It is a feeling - a worldview - a sort of dedication to a person, object, or ideal. Love is an oceanic feeling.

Well folks, I have poured my heart and soul into this post. Take from it what you will. I have given you insight into what is going through my head right now. Hopefully, you can extract some value from it. Thanks for listening to me MBTIers.

Peace

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That's what emotional intimacy does to some of us, I guess. I've been there.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Are you upset because your plan shattered or because of her?

A shattered plan and a period of uncertainty can be quite refreshing or growth-provoking.

Nevertheless: :hug: . Good luck.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Well look at it from the bright side.

At least you have proven to people around you that you are human being after all.

You sound like that they give you hard time for that to.

edit: There is an old saying .
It is better to love and lose then not loving at all.

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
You haven't described an un-INTJ behavior.

Just because people *think* we lack feelings doesn't mean that they aren't there. The feelings exist, just a little better hidden than most. (Okay, a lot better hidden than most. Sometimes to the point that we don't even recognize feelings for what they are... like the Vulcan emotional repression thing.)

It sucks, but it will pass.

Frank

I had an eleven year relationship end suddenly a year and a half ago. It was the worst time of my life but also the best. The growth and personal discovery that ensued was at mach speed. I also learned to embrace my feelings and to better understand the feelings of others. If you open yourself up to the grief this could be one of the most enlightening periods of your life thus far. March on soldier.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It always feels that way when it falls apart. Surprisingly I'm still maintaining the hope the next one won't, hopefully you will too. :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
What an amazing and beautiful post, provoker. I am so grateful that you've chosen to share it with us.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
We are all actors..on a stage we didnt ask for. As INTJs, we tend to think we can fix anything...even something as complex as another human being. This is the fatal flaw of our type. We ignore signals that in any other instance, would be used to make correct decisions. Snakes have rattles on their tails. When you hear them, you change your path. We tend to throw our peripheral gifts in the garbage as we know love is a rare commodity. Anything that resembles it can be manipulated into becoming it. It is the one place we allow ourselves to be bitten. I dont blame my failed relationships on anyone but myself these days. When the warning shots are fired, I listen and seek cover. My days of petting cobras are over.....I still admire their beauty albeit from the other side of the glass. Good luck.

sleepless

MBTI Type
INFJ
Provoker,

that was an incredible post. I so recognize myself in it, and, for what it's worth, you have at least my empathy.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I like how genuine your post is provoker, although I probably can't understand since I've never experienced a break-up so far I hope you "recover" soon.

Snail

MBTI Type
INFP
I just broke up with my long-term boyfriend, an INTP, and it might as well have been an actual divorce after we were inseparable for so long. We were together romantically for about six years. Re-orienting afterward might be hard because of all of your shared experience, although an INTJ like you might have an easier time of it. That's the biggest problem I'm having, because when I listen to any of the music I like, I think about times when I listened to it with him, and the feeling of loss returns, even though I'm the one who decided on the breakup. We were together for so long that I can't even remember what it was like before I was with him. Most of my adult life has been spent with him, so I feel that everything I worked to build was in vain. He didn't want to break up even though we were clearly incompatible and we had struggled much too hard to hang onto something that wasn't worth the pain and effort, so I wrote a letter while away. The absence made it easier to know what I wanted to do, because when I wasn't around him, my tension went away. I had been using cigarettes to deal with the anxiety of our constant conflict, and as soon as I left for my vacation, I had no need to smoke. I quit cold turkey without even consciously trying. I wasn't really addicted to cigarettes, I was just self-medicating for stress to treat my panic attacks, and since I've been away from him, I haven't been having as much trouble with my anxiety. That's how much emotionally healthier I feel without him, but there is still a pang of loss for the familiarity of my old life. I didn't just lose the long-term boyfriend, but by deciding to leave town, I essentially broke up with all of my friends, too, leaving me with no support group to help me deal with the loss except for my online friends. Anyhow, I'm just letting you know that you aren't alone. Love isn't a machine that can be repaired by re-assembling the pieces, or I would have just tinkered until I fixed it instead of throwing it away. I can fully relate to what you are describing. Don't let it affect your worldview or make you so bitter and cynical that you miss out on the beauty of your new experiences and opportunities, because it's probably better to be alone than to be with someone who doesn't want to keep you anymore. Thank you for having the courage to challenge the stereotype about INTJs being robotic by opening up to us emotionally and showing that you are human sometimes. Your post was beautifully written and offers a unique perspective. I can see, now, that you hurt like anyone else.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I completely empathize with you as I went through something similar. You will become much, much stronger a person when you are done. Just keep close to your family and "true" friends. Word of advice from something I learned during my recovery and get out of depression phase (which I will add had more things then just breaking up going on, I was a wreck). Do not take advice from anyone about a new relationship for awhile. You will make mistakes you may regret. Heal up first (which for an INTJ may take a long time to stop thinking about it).

Emotions may not be easily seen in us, but we are full of them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Why let negativity win? Too often I see the spirit of others around me grow weary by age and habit. Like a flower that ages and begins to die: as it ages and dies the parts shrivle up and become prune-like. With each negative breath a new part of the flower falls off. Eventually, after all the suffering has been disemminated to people of this world there is nothing left of the flower. Why translate my suffering into a negative worldview? Again we are such actors, "I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist" - a way of cloaking one's beliefs. Indeed, everything profound loves the mask, a first-rate hiding-place.

There you got your answer. Aslong as some people of us live negativity will never win .

I am sorry about what happend to you through your girlfriend.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

dude i'm so sad to hear that. don't worry, keep looking and she'll come to you one day. :hug:

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

dude i'm so sad to hear that. don't worry, keep looking and she'll come to you one day. :hug:

I sometimes wonder if the harder you look, the more likely this will not happen...

Just tonight something of this nature happened. Not saying I found someone, but someone is definitely trying to get my interest locally. Sorta surprised me as I had NO idea until maybe a week ago I saw a hint(I was actually recommending some friends to ask this girl out), and am trying to think if I want to move on it or not (I'm an INTJ, give me a break). She is a damn good looking girl though.

Anyways. She will come one day my male friends.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I sometimes wonder if the harder you look, the more likely this will not happen...

Just tonight something of this nature happened. Not saying I found someone, but someone is definitely trying to get my interest locally. Sorta surprised me as I had NO idea until maybe a week ago I saw a hint(I was actually recommending some friends to ask this girl out), and am trying to think if I want to move on it or not (I'm an INTJ, give me a break). She is a damn good looking girl though.

i think you might be right. i scare all my targets away :D. the people who are attracted to me are the people i was friends with first. it's hard for me not to act differently when i'm around someone i'm hoping to get with, friends though, i'm being myself. guess it's good advice to take it easy :blush:. o the cruel fates :doh:

Pavilion

MBTI Type
INTP

Yeah, I've always found the idea of making an effort to find someone to fall in love with as pretty ridiculous. Obviously you're going to need to put yourself out there and socialize in order for it to happen, but if your intentions are to find someone then it just seems to taint the whole process. I mean, if I'm going to fall in love with this hypothetical girl then I should be able to fall in love with her without putting in any effort. If you love someone then you love someone and if you don't then you don't, that's all there is to it in my eyes.

Maybe I'm just speaking from one bad experience though, where I dated a girl I had no interest in and it ended in disaster. Maybe it is possible to fall for someone after the relationship begins. I don't know, and I won't know until it happens, but if it isn't possible then I'm never going to find find out even if I "try". So what to do when a girl I'm not interested in shows interest?

This whole love thing is very irritating.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
1)
Can this negative energy be channeled into creating something of magnificent aesthetic value?
I found your words of magnificent aesthetic value. Particularly this:
Gorgeous.

2)
Why am I fronting? I know these questions are still shallow. I don't know what's deeper - I don't know what I feel deep down. Today, everything I have been making for years was shattered. I built a life, I altered course, I got 4.0 GPAs, I decided I want to go to law school and maybe even be Prime Minister one day, I gave the world everything I could and got kicked in the teeth.
Minor point... but in all the things you mentioned, zero seem to involve her. You are you with or without her. It's just your seam has been ripped and is bleeding. It will heal, and the scar will fade. Ah, but you've probably figured this out already.

3)
Again, there is no single problem. My reductionist approach is insufficient. Love isn't like a machine where if the parts (the springs, nuts and bolts) fall apart they can be put back together and restored. Love doesn't work like a clockwork. There is no single problem and there is no single solution. Love is magnificent albeit irrational. It is beyond intellectual comprehension. It is a feeling - a worldview - a sort of dedication to a person, object, or ideal. Love is an oceanic feeling.
I still don't understand this (the intellectual comprehension part). Is it possible to "love" someone in a way that defies analysis? That scares me. I'm gonna suck at love when it happens.

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed the concentrated sincerity and wandering tone of your thoughts.

heart

heart on fire
Love isn't a machine that can be repaired by re-assembling the pieces, or I would have just tinkered until I fixed it instead of throwing it away.

This comment isn't about your particular situation because only you know what went on there and I'm sorry to hear about your pain but it is not accurate to say that when something goes wrong in a relationship that it absolutely cannot be taken apart and looked at to see what items can be worked on and communication improved. This is what couple's therapy is all about and it really does work for some people.