• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Who is the best match for INTP?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Which types are the best match for INTP? Who can make INTP fall head over heels on first sight? Who make INTP twist and twirl into the stars leaving their mark on the sky forever? Who can make INTP cry?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If that other forum with a penchant for lattes is anything to go by: ENTJs.

If you're asking for what the lit suggests, ExFJs are cited most often.

If you're asking for actual experiences, I'm not qualified to answer the question.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
comic%20my%20girlfriend%20is%20my%20hand%20jared%20hindman.jpg

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Other TPs can match up well. I find that extreme INTPs have conflicting needs in a partner. They need someone to take care of all the external, concrete details of living in a way the SFJs excel at doing, but they also want a mind mate to discuss interesting ideas. They need someone extremely concrete and abstract at the same time. As a result they are sometimes drawn towards NF because they have that caring aspect and try to fulfill the concrete needs, but can also discuss ideas in the abstract in a way a little different from the NT. Sometimes that combination works, but sometimes it fails abysmally. I think the STP can provide a better concrete/abstract dichotomy than the NF as a partner to the INTP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too much variation within the type. Typical is INP, SFJ, other TP, and INFJ. Depends on upbringing and focus within the type (e9? 5w6? 5w4? SX or SP? Etc)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Too much variation within the type. Typical is INP, SFJ, other TP, and INFJ. Depends on upbringing and focus within the type (e9? 5w6? 5w4? SX or SP? Etc)

It really depends on the individuals involved and their needs. I can find NFs appealing, but the reality is that there will be problems once the honeymoon wears off. I like SPs, but I'm not confident in my ability to sustain their interest long term. I think I'm probably best off dating another NT. I've kind of thought that for a long time, but now I have a bit more experience to back that up. To me it seems like non-NT partners inevitably tend to discourage or not appreciate NT strengths, despite initial enthusiasm.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs what do you think of INFPs?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

They are likeable, and often humorous, but in a LTR, I find their demands that I conform entirely to their value system (whether it reflects reality or not) to be oppressive. I respect and admire their desire to change the world, but I wish they would adopt what I consider to be more practical methods. Like, I'm not going to stop listening to classic rock just because they appropriated black music or something; I don't get how that even helps anything. (And me even asking questions about how that actually helps things would not go well at all.)

Duffy

They are likeable, and often humorous, but in a LTR, I find their demands that I conform entirely to their value system (whether it reflects reality or not) to be oppressive. I respect and admire their desire to change the world, but I wish they would adopt what I consider to be more practical methods. Like, I'm not going to stop listening to classic rock just because they appropriated black music or something; I don't get how that even helps anything. (And me even asking questions about why I should stop listening to classic rock would not go well at all.)

This forum confuses me. Is this not Fe? Doesn't Fe seek to harmonize ethics and affect the world (external)? Also, some inferior Fe sensitivities popping here.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This forum confuses me. Is this not Fe? Doesn't Fe seek to harmonize ethics and affect the world (external)? Also, some inferior Fe sensitivities popping here.

I am not turning this thread into a stupid pissing match between Fe and Fi.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Depends on the particular bent of the INFP.

It's unfortunate that with my INP friends, we typically never talk much unless we're in actual proximity, because I really enjoy being with them / talking to them. But one of the few people I really wanted a relationship to work out with was an INFP, I really loved that person and wanted it to work out; and if I had them in proximity, I'd be very close to my INFP friends. We just "get each other" and have a lot in common; they also help me loosen up a little and contribute more warmth to the relationship, while I feel like I can give some stable perspective on things.

Anyway, the rigid INFPs drive me nuts; I tried hanging out in an INFP forum before and that was about as long-lived as my hanging out on INTJ forum. But the ones who focus more on Ne as their interaction style and don't become Fi zealots (much as I haven't become a Ti zealot) -- those ones, I really bond with. It's a really nice "meet in the middle" -- and of course we can communicate really well, "play" alot / have fun, and are both typically very curious and exploratory.

I am not turning this thread into a stupid pissing match between Fe and Fi.

but.... it's a forum tradition!

Do you not respect the Old Ways?

images.jpg

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No one is compatible to you. INTP'S are destined to be forever alone and immersed in their own narcissistic brilliance.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I do not. I have no patience for moronic arguments about which feeling function is the most oppressed.

hey, whatever floats your boat.

No one is compatible to you. INTP'S are destined to be forever alone and immersed in their own narcissistic brilliance.

I'm not alone.
I'll always have me.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me!

Talking about being with yourself. Am I the only one who asks the question "If I made a clone out of myself, would I date/have sexual intercourse with myself?"

I totally fucking would. Just to say I did it. I would take myself out to see the world and I would never have to worry about saying no to myself, or think about how myself feels about certain things. I would be my own partner in crime.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram

The thing about this relationship is that you're leading function is their ignoring one. INFP sees Ti as foreign. Same thing how INTP perceives INFPs introverted feeling. Partners aren't going to care about their personal problems. Paradoxically, they'll connect with each other's other creative function such as Ne. I did see a poll with INTP preferring INFP. I'm a bit surprised by this. If I were writing a fictional story with INFP's love interest, I don't think I would write INFP with INTP. I do like INFP and ESFJ pairing.

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Other TPs can match up well. I find that extreme INTPs have conflicting needs in a partner. They need someone to take care of all the external, concrete details of living in a way the SFJs excel at doing, but they also want a mind mate to discuss interesting ideas. They need someone extremely concrete and abstract at the same time. As a result they are sometimes drawn towards NF because they have that caring aspect and try to fulfill the concrete needs, but can also discuss ideas in the abstract in a way a little different from the NT. Sometimes that combination works, but sometimes it fails abysmally. I think the STP can provide a better concrete/abstract dichotomy than the NF as a partner to the INTP.
NTJs can be a good fit in this respect. Has worked with myself and my SO.