• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Is This a "In General" NT Problem?

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alright, so I have noticed (at least for me) that many of the people who are either ExTx or maybe even xNTx have problems with expressing emotion the way it's intended externally so instead they mimic the mood and the person they are associating with. This becomes especially prominent in groups of people.

I know for me, when I come across a social environment I am not familiar with, rather than laying low and observing. I might take a few seconds to take in all of whats happening and "jump in" and mimic those around me. This includes the groups social values and norms, even though I dont agree with it, because I am so unfamiliar with the environment. Most of it is unconscious. But now that Im a bit more self aware, I'm trying to stop this habit when appropriate. Am I making sense? I hope so.

Is it because general "NT's" process the external world differently then others (I mean we all do, but I feel like NT's tend to look "past" the present), and rather then taking the time and effort in understanding it, they mimic it, because they feel there are more "pressing matters" to pay attention to?

I might be wrong in my observation. It's open for discussion.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thats kind of more of an Fe trait. The extent in which you are able to do it might say something about its positioning, your fluency with it and whether you have any control over its holistic adaption to certain scenarios, with lower based Fe it is done with less awareness and is used as a crutch more than anything else socially to your other extroverted perception function.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I started doing this at some point in my mid-late teens and I agree with Frosty that it's an Fe<>Ti.

I've always attributed it to having less firm opinions and values of my own which makes adapting to others and blending easier. Only recently have I started to see it as a useful skill in its own right as opposed to an annoying and borderline pathological tick.

I'd only caution against going to far to the other extreme. Mindful interaction or something equally as pithy. Sometimes you learn more by diving in anyway.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I started doing this at some point in my mid-late teens and I agree with Frosty that it's an Fe<>Ti.

I've always attributed it to having less firm opinions and values of my own which makes adapting to others and blending easier. Only recently have I started to see it as a useful skill in its own right as opposed to an annoying and borderline pathological tick.

Yeah, because I'm more open/unsure of specific opinions, I typically keep things "open" by adaptation versus forcing an unnecessary conflict.
I can dig in pretty hard when I do have an opinion and don't care about maintaining peace with particular people, though.

Sure, it's very useful and can be used more consciously to relate / promote cohesion / pave the way towards consensus, get things done, etc.

I don't think either extreme is good, as you note. Find the balance.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do have a certain tendency to adapt as a way to minimize conflict. Conflict is a waste of time. I'll dig my heels in about certain things I consider to be non-negotiable, though.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I could have sworn it had to do with NT and not the fe-ti .
Am I understanding it wrong?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think NTJs will relate even less.

What specifically about this did you relate to the NT mentality?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe it's Ne flavored with Fe? :D Or it's your inner SFJ at work?

It has something to do with the secret "sfj" within, I think. Many NTPs are unaware of these qualities at all, and deny their existence. This is why INTPcentral had INTPs constantly bitching about ESFJs. I'm not convinced that the people they were talking about were even ESFJs to begin with; it was more that they hated these individuals because they reminded them of aspects of themselves that they'd rather not acknowledge.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It has something to do with the secret "sfj" within, I think. Many NTPs are unaware of these qualities at all, and deny their existence. This is why INTPcentral had INTPs constantly bitching about ESFJs. I'm not convinced that the people they were talking about were even ESFJs to begin with; it was more that they hated these individuals because they reminded them of aspects of themselves that they'd rather not acknowledge.

That reminds me of INFPs bitching about ESTJs.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think NTJs will relate even less.

What specifically about this did you relate to the NT mentality?

NT's not understanding social ques of behavior because of inferior sensing. So rather then understanding the social behavior around them, they mimic it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say more Ti-Fe... did that a lot when younger and less curmudgeony

anymore I rarely give enough of a shit to care about fitting in with the emotional tenor of the situation, though I am aware of it enough that if necessary I can exploit it... I prefer not to anymore :shrug:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I really like that word. Curmudgeony. Curmudgeon.

Some words are like water but that one. yes, that one has substance.

Very nice.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No I don't relate to this at all. Maybe I did when I was younger somewhat but now - I don't care enough.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
NT's not understanding social ques of behavior because of inferior sensing. So rather then understanding the social behavior around them, they mimic it.

Hmm...I'm gonna go with [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] said. Sounds more Ti/Fe to me. Mimicking social behavior doesn't sound like an innate preference that TJs have. I think the whole NT narrative involves being disconnected from that kind of stuff overall, so I guess your lack of desire to understand social cues could be NT but I think a lot of types will relate to that.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Alright, so I have noticed (at least for me) that many of the people who are either ExTx or maybe even xNTx have problems with expressing emotion the way it's intended externally so instead they mimic the mood and the person they are associating with. This becomes especially prominent in groups of people.

I know for me, when I come across a social environment I am not familiar with, rather than laying low and observing. I might take a few seconds to take in all of whats happening and "jump in" and mimic those around me. This includes the groups social values and norms, even though I dont agree with it, because I am so unfamiliar with the environment. Most of it is unconscious. But now that Im a bit more self aware, I'm trying to stop this habit when appropriate. Am I making sense? I hope so.

Is it because general "NT's" process the external world differently then others (I mean we all do, but I feel like NT's tend to look "past" the present), and rather then taking the time and effort in understanding it, they mimic it, because they feel there are more "pressing matters" to pay attention to?

I might be wrong in my observation. It's open for discussion.

Yup. I do that. If I like someone. If I don't care I'll just do whatever I want.

anymore I rarely give enough of a shit to care about fitting in with the emotional tenor of the situation, though I am aware of it enough that if necessary I can exploit it... I prefer not to anymore :shrug:

This. Same conclusion/philosophy

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
alright. I guess ill look into Fe-Ti in relation.