• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Is This a "In General" NT Problem?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah... I don't mimic. Or mirror. At all. I might be somewhat affected by the moods of other people around me, but I don't mimic their emotions. I can't really be anyone but myself, no matter who I'm with.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So far it looks like only NTPs have replied. NTJ perspectives can only help clarify.
I don't make an attempt to "mimic the mood" in social situations. I almost cannot do it: it is too inauthentic. This is part of why many social situations are uncomfortable. I can tell the mood does not match my own and I cannot express what I don't feel. The best I can do is maintain a neutral mood or expression, which is often close to the truth anyway. This way at least I am not injecting a contrary mood to the event (e.g. laughing and happy at a funeral).

What I am willing to do in the interests of getting along is to mimic actions. If everyone is talking quietly, I will make sure not to raise my voice. If someone is going around making introductions, I will allow myself to be introduced to people. If everyone is wearing a party hat, I will accept a hat and wear it, etc.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
mmm the divide is almost too clean to be real. sample size considered.

though the more i read about the temperaments i still don't fully understand why NTs are paired the way they are.

aside from superficial things, we really don't seem to have much in common.

á´…eparted

passages
mmm the divide is almost too clean to be real. sample size considered.

though the more i read about the temperaments i still don't fully understand why NTs are paired the way they are.

Most here don't really regard keirsey temperment sorting. At most only when that grouping fits and makes sense.

Jaguar

i still don't fully understand why NTs are paired the way they are.

This NT understands:

digesthisickness said:
The reason it seems to be NT types the most often has nothing to do with them thinking they're smarter or anything like that. It's because of their drive for truth and knowledge. It's right there in the description and it's seriously true about them. We want and hunger for truth no matter what it is.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Despite the fact that I can sometimes be chameleon-like, there are certain things I won't mimic.

INTPs often seem to have a few things they won't budge on.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This NT understands:
The reason it seems to be NT types the most often has nothing to do with them thinking they're smarter or anything like that. It's because of their drive for truth and knowledge. It's right there in the description and it's seriously true about them. We want and hunger for truth no matter what it is.

Makes one wonder about The Secret Life of NT Relativists at the very least. Also non-NT intellectuals. Non-intellectual NTs?

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Makes one wonder about The Secret Life of NT Relativists at the very least. Also non-NT intellectuals. Non-intellectual NTs?

Im an NT and I'm not intellectual. I just find patterns that seem brilliant but in reality they come out of my ass last minute.

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
In social interactions, I just try to be at my best behaviour. Try to be funny to an extent. My main difficulty is with communication, I don't understand when people imply certain emotions or thoughts in their speech. If I ask my girlfriend if she's ok and she's crying like her mother died in a car crash but she answers "yes, I'm ok", I would assume she's ok and proceed with my day normally. Sometimes people say things just joking but I take them seriously. I think that's that. I'm a bit to honest, too. Once I was going out with a girl. This girl took herself some 30 minutes to put on a really expensive outfit. When she asked how I thought she looked, I said something like "the dress is ridiculous and your earings don't go with the purse".

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Alright, so I have noticed (at least for me) that many of the people who are either ExTx or maybe even xNTx have problems with expressing emotion the way it's intended externally so instead they mimic the mood and the person they are associating with. This becomes especially prominent in groups of people.

I know for me, when I come across a social environment I am not familiar with, rather than laying low and observing. I might take a few seconds to take in all of whats happening and "jump in" and mimic those around me. This includes the groups social values and norms, even though I dont agree with it, because I am so unfamiliar with the environment. Most of it is unconscious. But now that Im a bit more self aware, I'm trying to stop this habit when appropriate. Am I making sense? I hope so.
I found this video in this forum but it's fairly applicable here:

I'm pretty aware of people's emotions and can pick up on their moods quite readily, but I don't usually get too affected by it (whereas my feeler friends are waaaaay more influenced by them than I could ever be). Because I'm quite detached emotionally but very easy to relate to, people come to me with their problems, and I've often been referred to as 'the counselor' of my friend group - not because I know what they're feeling, but because I do a good job of mimicking the feeling others want me to feel, and I can still remain objective in my interactions.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know that I have trouble externalized my deepest darkest emotions. I don't want to burden others with them and only touch upon them if I really trust someone. There are things that I just don't tell anyone period.. They only come out when they've been bottled up for a long period of time then they spill over the surface. When I'm in a group, I do want to match the mood and it doesn't come naturally to me to express something that goes against the tide of the group.

While I certainly have my own interests, I have trouble pinpointing where I stand on things and I want others to accept me into the group. I am easily influenced in situations like this but I do try to maintain my true self, even if my instincts have tendencies such as this. It doesn't come naturally to me so there are behaviors that had to be learned. Little things do slip through the cracks but when people call it to attention, I try to beat about the bush or pull the focus off of myself, I don't want to be an attentionhog or anything. When I'm unfamiliar with the people involved, I may observe quietly from a distance but once I am included in the group, I go about it by trying to match the energy, trying to understand those around me.

rav3n

Yup, this sounds like a Fe social harmony perspective. I don't emulate others. Can't remember if my mbti type is in my profile so I'll state or restate it. ENTJ.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Alright, so I have noticed (at least for me) that many of the people who are either ExTx or maybe even xNTx have problems with expressing emotion the way it's intended externally so instead they mimic the mood and the person they are associating with. This becomes especially prominent in groups of people.

I know for me, when I come across a social environment I am not familiar with, rather than laying low and observing. I might take a few seconds to take in all of whats happening and "jump in" and mimic those around me. This includes the groups social values and norms, even though I dont agree with it, because I am so unfamiliar with the environment. Most of it is unconscious. But now that Im a bit more self aware, I'm trying to stop this habit when appropriate. Am I making sense? I hope so.

Is it because general "NT's" process the external world differently then others (I mean we all do, but I feel like NT's tend to look "past" the present), and rather then taking the time and effort in understanding it, they mimic it, because they feel there are more "pressing matters" to pay attention to?

I might be wrong in my observation. It's open for discussion.

Yes....I often act as a social chameleon to minimize conflict and (subconsciously) due to my fear of being rejected. I became more self aware once I got into typology and associated with people in which the personality gap was large.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I know that I have trouble externalized my deepest darkest emotions. I don't want to burden others with them and only touch upon them if I really trust someone. There are things that I just don't tell anyone period.. They only come out when they've been bottled up for a long period of time then they spill over the surface. When I'm in a group, I do want to match the mood and it doesn't come naturally to me to express something that goes against the tide of the group.

While I certainly have my own interests, I have trouble pinpointing where I stand on things and I want others to accept me into the group. I am easily influenced in situations like this but I do try to maintain my true self, even if my instincts have tendencies such as this. It doesn't come naturally to me so there are behaviors that had to be learned. Little things do slip through the cracks but when people call it to attention, I try to beat about the bush or pull the focus off of myself, I don't want to be an attentionhog or anything. When I'm unfamiliar with the people involved, I may observe quietly from a distance but once I am included in the group, I go about it by trying to match the energy, trying to understand those around me.

Actually instead of finding a complex emotional system you should think how to fix it .
i don't think a human being have the life spam to reach a solution from that point of view.

I'm far from perfect i am just an stupid intp but i have found self-esteem trought music and getting out from my confort zone( work , talking to other about "normal "things , Doing excersises), Tho i find that intuitive types need some Mind/body concept to follow to be physical active.

Fe greatest weakness is what hurley said : I often act as a social chameleon to minimize conflict and (subconsciously) due to my fear of being rejected.
The solution is not finding a theory behind that , instead learning other stuff that make you break those limitations.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I struggle with emotional expression, but I do intentionally learn from others to express emotion. Not exactly mimicry, but I cherry pick what I think is useful and test it out. Though more often than not, they do not work very well in real life. I think its because people can tell you are not into it. So I instead just be myself, but slowly add in some behaviors that make me seem more approachable. The internet makes this really easy, with things like reaction images and emotes.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I struggle with emotional expression, but I do intentionally learn from others to express emotion. Not exactly mimicry, but I cherry pick what I think is useful and test it out. Though more often than not, they do not work very well in real life. I think its because people can tell you are not into it. So I instead just be myself, but slowly add in some behaviors that make me seem more approachable. The internet makes this really easy, with things like reaction images and emotes.
What is your goal in doing these things?

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah this definitely sounds on the Fe-Ti end of things, not to repeat what's already been repeated. I've seen this sort of behavior among most low Fe users and on occasion Fe aux. It'd probably be more common among 3 fixers than 4 fixers as well.

TJs on the hand (unless they're 3 core) typically respond to this kind of behavior with eye rolls lol. There's is when the Fi pops out and this sort of behavior becomes viewed as unnecessary or inauthentic.

Personally, I'm not sure if what I do is mimicry. I keep a more neutral mode of expression in most situations and I find that works a bit better than mirroring most of the time since mirroring can be rather exhausting if used excessively. I only really force myself if the situation requires me to be significantly more expressive than I feel (ie. There's something I should be really excited about or if my empathy is misplaced/lower than it should be in a specific situation, ect).

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is your goal in doing these things?

Networking, simply put.

Plenty of advantages can come from being able to socialize efficiently. Not everyone responds to my normal behavior favorably. So learning to communicate with more types of people makes it easier to understand how people work, and how I can respond so we both benefit. Instead of only acting one way, and not caring if other people do not understand you/like you. It may seem pointless, or difficult. But I wouldn't do it if it didn't work.