• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] INTP vs. ENTP - Interpersonal Intelligence

MadTeaParty

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
In general, both ENTPs and INTPs don't conform to society's expectations and norms, but it seems to me that they do so for different reasons.
INTPs don't even notice said norms. Other people's emotions are a mystery to them and they take things at face value (socially at least). Usually, they don't care.
ENTPs on the other hand seem to be able to pick up on what others really mean/feel/want, but simply decide not to act on it. They might even do the complete opposite of what's expected, just to spite somebody.
Any thoughts?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
interesting, I pick up on it, but I don't act out on it. I don't care really. Sometimes I take it on face value but wait for more to see what will happen next.

rowan_

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I can always tell exactly what people are feeling/thinking, I just don't particularly care or act on it. People often assume that I don't understand how they feel when I actually I know exactly what is going on in their head, I just don't react to it in the way they expect.
For example, if someone is sad I will know, they won't know that I know though because I don't try and comfort them or anything that people are meant to do when others are sad? I don't know about INTP but I always get the feeling they're not always aware of what others are feeling?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
People often assume that I don't understand how they feel when I actually I know exactly what is going on in their head, I just don't react to it in the way they expect.

This is something I'm noticing more and more.

Hetaira

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
ENTP's are aware of societal demands and norms as well as INTP's....but INTP's are usually way more in their own head and tend to be a bit more resistant to conformity to these social norms.

ENTP's can "play the game" and act like/fit in with the norms...but in their head, they never conform.

Make sense?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTP - Dominant Ti says societal norms may be irrelevant if it conflicts with their logical understanding of the environment.
ENTP- Dominant Ne says the societal norms may be relevant if they can enhance their logical understanding of the environment.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENTP's are aware of societal demands and norms as well as INTP's....but INTP's are usually way more in their own head and tend to be a bit more resistant to conformity to these social norms.

ENTP's can "play the game" and act like/fit in with the norms...but in their head, they never conform.

Make sense?

I buy it. ENTPs probably enjoy playing the game. INTPs only will do so to survive, I think.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can always tell exactly what people are feeling/thinking, I just don't particularly care or act on it. People often assume that I don't understand how they feel when I actually I know exactly what is going on in their head, I just don't react to it in the way they expect.
For example, if someone is sad I will know, they won't know that I know though because I don't try and comfort them or anything that people are meant to do when others are sad? I don't know about INTP but I always get the feeling they're not always aware of what others are feeling?

Coming at things from Ti instinctively means I spent a lot of young life expecting emotions to follow logical patterns, and also making assumptions that people could just ignore/suppress emotions that "didn't rationally follow." It was how I worked; I was annoyed and frustrated that others didn't do that as well.

As I got older, I realized that didn't really work out very well in real life. And after I had spent more time around people, I got a better sense of realistic patterns and emotional responses. There were also some bumps in emotional understanding once I got some personal experiences that allowed me to feel things that weren't necessarily "understandable" -- the emotions just existed. (like falling in love with someone, or having children. Children were a big deal in terms of suddenly having inexplicable feelings for someone else that I couldn't and didn't have to rationalize somehow.)

So I have a pretty good sense now of what people might be feeling, by the obvious current clues + situational awareness of what someone is likely to feel. Plus, just empathy in general.

I guess i'll just harken back to the "map" -- when another process dominates how your process your perceptions, you need time to realize things are happening outside your understanding, you need experience to understand those things, and you need to care enough to invest the time and energy. If someone doesn't have those things, then they just won't get better at it.

I've actually gone full circle now, where I perceive what people are feeling in given circumstances, but my response isn't necessarily based on accommodating it, depending on what it is. It's just one factor among many. I'm more sensitive, but I've moved away from coddling/avoiding conflict in situations where I think people just need to deal or where I think other things need more priority.

(I don't really have that gift that I've seen where someone can be emotionally affirming in every situation somehow, even the ones they don't agree with. I don't know how to do that. I just tend to pull back and focus on something else rather than fight with someone, if there's no need to deal with it.)

I buy it. ENTPs probably enjoy playing the game. INTPs only will do so to survive, I think.

Yeah, I can't say it's been "fun." It was more of a survival / self-improvement strategy.

INTP - Dominant Ti says societal norms may be irrelevant if it conflicts with their logical understanding of the environment.
ENTP- Dominant Ne says the societal norms may be relevant if they can enhance their logical understanding of the environment.

That's an interesting definition because I feel like (from an observational POV) my behavior has gotten closer to ENTP over time. I tend to focus on Ne concerns more than I used to and place less emphasis on Ti concerns, I'm more open and exploratory.

And the shift you describe here also is essentially what happened with me -- I went from dismissing norms I considered irrelevant to exploring how they could be relevant if I could place them in the proper context.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's an interesting definition because I feel like (from an observational POV) my behavior has gotten closer to ENTP over time. I tend to focus on Ne concerns more than I used to and place less emphasis on Ti concerns, I'm more open and exploratory.

And the shift you describe here also is essentially what happened with me -- I went from dismissing norms I considered irrelevant to exploring how they could be relevant if I could place them in the proper context.

Hmm, time and development do seem to balance people out more. It seems this is part of aging too. For an ENTP Ne's desire to explore more (often new or modified) information outweighs Ti's desire to form conclusions about that information. I think what your saying makes sense though. For an INTP, their desire over time to accumulate more perceptions becomes apparent just like an ENTP might be a little more decisive.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People often assume that I don't understand how they feel when I actually I know exactly what is going on in their head, I just don't react to it in the way they expect.
For example, if someone is sad I will know, they won't know that I know though because I don't try and comfort them or anything that people are meant to do when others are sad?

Bingo. This is often true of my experience. I can't speak for others, however.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Children were a big deal in terms of suddenly have inexplicable feelings for someone else that I couldn't and didn't have to rationalize somehow.

This was also true of my experience. It was completely different than falling in love and getting married, where even now I think I am continually analyzing and rationalizing (or trying to, at least) the situation and any associated feelings.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Watching those two types discuss is hilarious. An INTP and ENTP I know talked for at least an hour about different types of mustard.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bet you didn't know there were so many types. (Currently I'm a fan of Jack Daniels honey mustard, but sometimes a regular old French cuts through everything else on a grilled frank.)

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ not gunna lie, that sounds like an intresting as fuck convo to have for an hour, I never realized how many different mustards there arr until you pointed it out.

BRO dont get me started on the diffrent sauses that have mustard as a base. Holly shit.

I reaaaallly love Dijon mustard.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually add mustard to various foods I make, including casseroles (depending on the type). A little French goes a long way but unfortunately can add an unappealing yellow tint as well; the Dijon gives more full richness to things while still providing a good zing and blends in better visually.

I noticed some new brands at the super last night; now I want to go back and check them out. :doh:

Maybe mustard would take its deserved prominence if they stepped up more Grey Poupon style commercials.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally, I like the stone ground german style mustard with the big visible seeds. My wife usually sticks a container of Inglehoffer in my stocking at XMAS

It's great on a roast beef sandwich.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have to say im not a big fan of the sweet mustards. Honey mustard is the worst. I like the bitter tart kind. Anyone Know the mustard that has a thich creamy texture with maybe seeds and vegetables in the mix?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ah yes, the classic 2nd page topic Houdini. Good job, NPs. Very nice.

I am attentive to social norms. I don't mind going along with them when it's convient to do so. When it becomes inconvient or I don't understand the whys or I just don't like them and no one is taking my questions seriously (on the rare times they actually are serious) then I will dig my heels in and become "rebellious".

I don't see them as inherently bad or something to look down on though. More like a convenient skeleton to reference and build off of when needed. I get a little ruffled when compliance is expected though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
conv38.jpg

has a clue about

mustard.jpg.opt185x185o0,0s185x185.jpg

...I don't see them as inherently bad or something to look down on though. More like a convenient skeleton to reference and build off of when needed. I get a little ruffled when compliance is expected though.

yes... they're essentially a framework to ease difficulties in communication or to provide some kind of truss towards it. But if the rules become law, it's stultifying.