• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Is this INTP into me, or just being friendly?

Elektralite

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm an INFP who sometimes types as an INTP - my Fi is strong, though, and I think my age and profession (academic) have fine-tuned my logical side. I'm interested in an INTP, and I think he's interested in me, but I'd appreciate an INTP take on his behaviour before I attempt to take it any further. If we remain friends, that's fine, because I enjoy his company and the way his mind works, and he's also a great professional contact. But I would also enjoy exploring a more intimate relationship with him, if he were so inclined.

There is a not-insignificant age gap between us - he's probably 15 or 20 years older than me. Our relationship is further complicated by the fact that he was my PhD supervisor. I was pretty crazy about him then, but I knew nothing could happen because a teacher/student relationship would have been a breach of his professional ethics. He was always extremely kind and supportive, and generous with his time and feedback.

After I submitted my dissertation and passed, he asked me out to cocktails and dinner - but I was under the impression at the time that this was something he did for all his PhD students. Now - five years later! - I'm wondering whether that was *strictly* the truth (at least, the cocktails side of it. I can't imagine him plying any of the middle-aged male candidates he had at the time with whisky sours). At the time, I was involved in a relationship and so again, nothing could have happened between me and Dr. INTP.

Five years on, I work at a different university and have been very happily single for several years. A few weeks back, on a whim, I dropped in to see if he might be in his office, and to say hi. He was there, and very happy to see me, but in the middle of uploading final grades, so I suggested we have coffee to catch up and he enthusiastically agreed.

Since July 1st we've had coffee once and lunch three times, each time lasting about two hours. He seems to enjoy himself? I figure he wouldn't keep suggesting or agreeing to meet again if he didn't. He goes out of his way to make me laugh, teases me, and usually insists on paying, or at least doesn't want me to pay for him. He picks up on my moods - for example, "You seem much more relaxed than last time I saw you." This was true. The time before I'd been (irrationally) worried that he'd never want to see me again. He seemed pleased that he had picked that up. I am very reserved and internally-focused so it can be difficult for others to discern my mood (thanks Fi!).

Other stuff he's said that made me wonder, because they seem like the kind of details he might not usually notice. And he always sounds faintly surprised when he says them:
"That's a nice dress - the colours suit you."
"That's a nice handbag."
"I remember you as a redhead, but you're naturally a brunette, aren't you?"

At times he goes into long monologues about his latest passion, which is fine by me, because I always learn something new when I'm with him. Once when he fell into one of these monologues, he was a little embarrassed and said, "If we're going to continue these lunches, you'll have to stop me from lecturing you on my obscure interests." I told him that in fact I liked it, which was true. Last time we had lunch he used the phrase, "If we're going to pursue this friendship, you might have to put up with my complaints about insomnia." So I'm not sure if he sees it as only a friendship.

Last time he walked me all the way back to my car with an umbrella in case it rained (it was a grey day and I was unprepared).

He kisses me on the cheek every time we say goodbye.

Soooooooo, I just want to know if I'm reading too much into this, or if it sounds like he might be into me.

Thanks in advance, and sorry that this is so long.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sounds like he is into you. But if you want something long term, think whether or not you want to have a 70 year old husband other leg in the grave already when you are only 50..

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It sounds like he's interested in you, so if you're interested in turn, continue to see where things progress and reciprocate with small things that can signal your interest in turn (or larger things if he fails to pick up on the smaller things).

But sure, look at all the practical issues involved in a relationship as it progresses throughout life, when you decide what you want to do, as well as evaluate what attracts you to him / why you are interested. For example, when you first met, there was an imbalance of power in the relationship; how does a more mutual relationship change things, if any? Still, Maybe since you're both older (late 30's and mid/late 50's), you're both more aware of what you want, have been content being single [so you're not trying to rush into a relationship], and would only come together out of mutual interest. So maybe it's not that much of an issue.

There are many other general factors to consider. Age is one. It can work (for example, the celebrity Celine Dion, whose husband is much older than her), it just presents some things that have to be accepted or worked through. Does the generation difference create any difficulties? (For example, I'm Gen X or younger in mindset and find more conflict with Boomer males.)

Elektralite

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks to both of you for your thoughts!

When I look at the long term implications of this relationship, they don't include marriage. I never intend to marry or cohabitate again. It doesn't work for me. I own my own house now anyway, and I wouldn't give that up or be able to tolerate anyone else in my space for too long.

However, I have had some concerns about the generation gap, which is one reason I'm taking it so slow. That's definitely something for me to think through. We share similar views, but his interests are much more focused than mine. Whether or not it matters to me that he shares many of my interests, or only some, is something I've been pondering.

Thanks again. Your objective views are very much appreciated.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think he likes you ;). Whenever I think of Fi, I don't think of kissing someone on the cheek for absolutely no reason or randomly being all like, "you look so nice today!" and even more so elaborating on it. From what you've said it sounds like he really cares a lot about how you're doing and pays plenty of attention to details and will remember anything about you pretty fondly.

But about the age thing, you could, once you feel like things are starting to pick up and you're very open with each other if you're not already, ask him what he thinks about that, or what his thoughts are of not only his generation but other ones, like yours, millennials, etc.

Even if you think you know what the answer will wind up being, it never hurts to bring it up and have a discussion about it.

Elektralite

MBTI Type
INFP
I am definitely going to address the age thing next time it comes up. :) Actually, we both teach Millenials, so that gives me an easy way in to the topic.

I'll be interested to hear his views. He's quite bohemian, so I suspect it'll the age difference will be less of a concern for him than it might be for some people. But you're right - it never hurts to discuss it.

Sunny Ghost

Sounds like he's into you. You could try being bold and ask him if you're still uncertain. An INTP I knew loved when women acted more boldly in that way.

Elektralite

MBTI Type
INFP
I feel like we're both skirting round the issue and probably won't stop until 2038 at this rate, sooo. I might just have to ask!

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
tumblr_mfxettg6X61rkzn2ao1_400.jpg

You only live once.

Sunny Ghost

I feel like we're both skirting round the issue and probably won't stop until 2038 at this rate, sooo. I might just have to ask!

Or you could just tell him how you feel. I get the impression he wouldn't judge you even if he didn't reciprocate the same sentiments.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Perhaps it would be nice if you decided what you wanted from a potential relationship and took steps to shape it to your vision of that. Meaning, do you want to be with him? See where it goes? If so, why not take the first step, ask him out on a date, tell him you like him and are interested? No guy is going to have lunch with you three times and not be interested. You already know he is, so why not go for it?

kaboom

MBTI Type
INTP
Definitely into you, and probably looking for some clear indication that it's ok to proceed. I know, I would NEVER kiss someone on the cheek just for purpose of friendship. He could be hesitant because of the age differences.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Definitely fond of you.

In the wake of all these responses, especially Jennifer's, and the generational gap related ones, there's little for me to add. I had just one point, which was the amount of time each meetup lasted which to me seems to border on the lower end. That could though have been the case because of other time constraints. OTOH, if he's being cautious, which is likely, it could be because of one or more of the reasons people have pointed out, &/or because of how reserved you might've been.

Elektralite

MBTI Type
INFP
In the interests of finishing the story: Yeah, he's into me. I didn't even get a chance to ask! He just blurted out his feelings last time I saw him and then asked me out to dinner.

:)

I said yes, so we'll see where it goes from there.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the interests of finishing the story: Yeah, he's into me. I didn't even get a chance to ask! He just blurted out his feelings last time I saw him and then asked me out to dinner.

I bet he's lurking on this forum! j/k

.... anyway, glad to hear he felt comfortable enough to put his cards on the table.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
His calm and cool outward demeanor belies that he probably feels butterflies in his stomach when he sees you.

rmrf

Wrote all of this without seeing the update that he ended up making the move. Even though it's moot now, seemed like a waste to delete it. Maybe it might help someone else in a similar situation?

I'm an INTP myself and I can say with close to total certainty that he is definitely in to you. INTPs usually don't communicate their internal intimacies directly, instead going for hints and signs. In this case, it seems like he's trying to make as many hints as he can; practically screaming it at you. INTPs don't go out out for lunch with everyone and they certainly wouldn't kiss someone goodbye unless they had intimate feelings for them.

The question is: Are you into him? If you want it to happen, just ask. Don't overthink it or overcomplicate it. Just be direct, "I'm in to you".

The longer you leave it, the more cognitive dissonance he's going to have. Eventually the confusing elephant in the room is going to tire him out. The fact he's kept it going for so long means he has a lot of feelings for you.

There's obviously an elephant in the room situation going on here, if you want it to happen, make the move. I think both of you are interpreting it as waiting for the other person to make the first move. INTPs are prone to cognitive dissonance because they don't trust what their Fe is telling them. He knows you're into him, but he's stuck in the "What if I'm reading this all wrong". If you feel it, say it, otherwise you're leaving him in limbo.