• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and Appearance

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems that most people would agree that INTPs don't care very much about their appearance. Does the fact that I do very much possibly debunk the validity of my INTP-ness? If I am actually and ENTP, would that change anything in this regard?

Edit: My bad, this should be moved to the NT-specific section.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thread so moved. :)

Also, I don't think attention to one's own appearance has much to do with type. I know some INTPs who don't give a crap about their appearance, and others, like my brother, who take pride in looking respectable and put-together.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

But mine extends as far as to an aspect most will probably consider Fi-related. I want to dress to how I believe I should look, and how I want to be perceived of. I intentionally try to fit my appearance to be as eclectic as I think that I am.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Meh, I probably don't pay enough attention to my appearance.

baccheion

Caring (to an extreme) about your appearance isn't a typical INTP thing. I somewhat care about my appearance and how I look and I'm an INTP, so I suppose it could happen, but my concern with such things isn't to an extreme. It's about average when compared to how concerned others are, but it stands out as the typical INTP would normally not be that concerned.

The picture on your profile page has a feminine, emo, Fi look, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're an INFP.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't care as much as most people seem to but I do care to some level. I want to look presentable. I care about my hygiene. I guess I do want to look somewhat attractive but I don't want to spend a whole of time on it when there's more interesting things in life. So I tend to avoid optional things like make-up and manicures and style my hair so it requires a minimum of maintenance.

Sunny Ghost

I knew one INTP who was a great dresser. That man had style. Understated. Classy. Offbeat.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think that is a trait of only INTPs. Not looking after appearance can be a sign of an emotionally unhealthy person, but with MBTI I guess any of the intuitive types will be prone to not paying attention to appearances, especially Si/Se inferior types. It really depends on any individual though. Everyone's personality traits and habits are subjective, if you know what I mean.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Caring (to an extreme) about your appearance isn't a typical INTP thing. I somewhat care about my appearance and how I look and I'm an INTP, so I suppose it could happen, but my concern with such things isn't to an extreme. It's about average when compared to how concerned others are, but it stands out as the typical INTP would normally not be that concerned.

The picture on your profile page has a feminine, emo, Fi look, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're an INFP.

I mean, I do like that look. I think mentally I'm very masculine but I want to be physically balanced and not disgusting, essentially. I do also rank highly for developed Fi on many functions tests, but ultimately far prefer thinking to feeling for decisions. Would my use of Fi be considered unhealthy as an INTP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't care to an extreme level, although I do care somewhat. I use clothes and items and appearance as a form of identity branding and hate being told what to wear and/or having to wear some kind of standardized outfit. (I'm 5w4, strong 4.) I like picking up items that express who I am or that are unique in some way. I tend to hate stuff that everyone else is into (like Coach purses -- i just don't get it, I think they're ugly).

I also like the idea of makeup and have experimented with it, but I'm just so damned P, I give up after ten minutes and/or just don't care enough about my appearance to put in more than that much time getting made up in the morning. I don't understand women who spend 30-45 minutes getting ready and focusing on that level of detail.

If I was younger and didn't have to look professional, I'd probably be messing around with more piercings and brightly colored hair and the like, just to experiment.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's reassuring [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], thanks. So you think it's compltely possible to be INTP and 5w4 then. What about 4w5, or even 4w3 as many suggest that I am? Too farfetched? 4w3 is often associated with ENTPs as far as I have seen.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's reassuring [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], thanks. So you think it's compltely possible to be INTP and 5w4 then. What about 4w5, or even 4w3 as many suggest that I am? Too farfetched? 4w3 is often associated with ENTPs as far as I have seen.

INTPs commonly are 5w4 or 5w6, at least as far as I have seen online. So it's not just possible, it's a "thing."

But I don't see very many INT's label themselves a 4. usually that's INFx territory.

I see ENTPs listed most as 7's, to be honest, although I guess 3 is another possibility. (And then I Googled and found this image immediately.)

MBTI-Enneagram-Correlation2.jpg

So why did you pick the name RobinSkye as your userid, as opposed to other options?

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs commonly are 5w4 or 5w6, at least as far as I have seen online. So it's not just possible, it's a "thing."

But I don't see very many INT's label themselves a 4. usually that's INFx territory.

I see ENTPs listed most as 7's, to be honest, although I guess 3 is another possibility. (And then I Googled and found this image immediately.)

So why did you pick the name RobinSkye as your userid, as opposed to other options?

Ohh, it was ENTP 3w4 that people said was likely. Well, RobinSkye are my first and middle names. I like my names, and probably plan on going by them in the media industry too. For my regular job, I guess it would be my first and last names, primarily. Another name I often go by online is "Myztyrio."

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't care to an extreme level, although I do care somewhat. I use clothes and items and appearance as a form of identity branding and hate being told what to wear and/or having to wear some kind of standardized outfit. (I'm 5w4, strong 4.) I like picking up items that express who I am or that are unique in some way. I tend to hate stuff that everyone else is into (like Coach purses -- i just don't get it, I think they're ugly).

I also like the idea of makeup and have experimented with it, but I'm just so damned P, I give up after ten minutes and/or just don't care enough about my appearance to put in more than that much time getting made up in the morning. I don't understand women who spend 30-45 minutes getting ready and focusing on that level of detail.

If I was younger and didn't have to look professional, I'd probably be messing around with more piercings and brightly colored hair and the like, just to experiment.

I do have a couple Coach bags, the classic messenger bags. They're so well made, I think they are worth the money. The Vera Bradley bags are the ones I don't get. They're horrible looking.

I don't know that the rest is type related. Believe me, there are days I can't be bothered to do much of anything. This may partially stem from working from home, I was overjoyed to no longer need to wear office attire every day. Most of the time, when I head out, I look presentable. I can look really good when I want to. It depends on what I'm doing and how motivated I am.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Actually, I think it's likely I could be considered a 7. Wing, I don't know. But the fact that many of my test results centered around 4, scoring highly in 3 and 5 as well, lead me to believe I must be a 4wX. 7 is possible, but just seemed less likely since I never scored particularly highly with 6 or 8, but did so with 7.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

However, I think we have (or have had) at least a few INTJ 4s on the forum.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, I think it's likely I could be considered a 7. Wing, I don't know. But the fact that many of my test results centered around 4, scoring highly in 3 and 5 as well, lead me to believe I must be a 4wX. 7 is possible, but just seemed less likely since I never scored particularly highly with 6 or 8, but did so with 7.

Maybe you're a 6 with a strong 5 wing. Or 5w6.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am not sure how I understand how appearance could really have much to do with type personality. But it there are supposedly commonalities. Whatever I be, I happen to like and take value in dressing a certain way (my way), which is usually a bit eclectic and dark. I find style as a part of oneself, at least in my case so I take attention to it. It's on days I'm not doing much that I tend to neglect and suddenly not care. . But maybe that's just the 5w4 that makes all the difference.