• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and Appearance

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@Mademoiselle as well, but I think she has since changed that in her profile.

I admit, rightly or wrongly, being suspicious of IINTs who think of themselves as 4s. Perhaps I'm being judgmental, but the ones on the INTP forums struck me as so alien in their thought processes that they had to be another type. My guess is that they are usually INFPs or INFJs trying to take on some image they think is more desirable.

I could be off with regards to that, though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I admit, rightly or wrongly, being suspicious of IINTs who think of themselves as 4s. Perhaps I'm being judgmental, but the ones on the INTP forums struck me as so alien in their thought processes that they had to be another type. My guess is that they are usually INFPs or INFJs trying to take on some image they think is more desirable.

Hey, it's a theory.

I cannot confirm or deny those allegations without the signature of my superior typology officer... or a bill larger than a $20 slipped to me through covert channels.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What about 9s? I've seen arguments made that no Thinkers could possibly be 9s. I disagree, obviously.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about 9s? I've seen arguments made that no Thinkers could possibly be 9s. I disagree, obviously.

I don't see an issue with Thinkers being 9's. Typically 9's seem to be Introverts.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hey, it's a theory.

I cannot confirm or deny those allegations without the signature of my superior typology officer... or a bill larger than a $20 slipped to me through covert channels.

Oooh, I love bribing people. Does it have to be cash, though? Can I bribe you in hot dogs?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can't you go exchange them for other currency elsewhere? There has to be a meat exchanger somewhere near where you live.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can't you go exchange them for other currency elsewhere? There has to be a meat exchanger somewhere near where you live.

Would I be able to get some frankfurters or wieners in exchange?

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am not sure how I understand how appearance could really have much to do with type personality. But it there are supposedly commonalities. Whatever I be, I happen to like and take value in dressing a certain way (my way), which is usually a bit eclectic and dark. I find style as a part of oneself, at least in my case so I take attention to it. It's on days I'm not doing much that I tend to neglect and suddenly not care. . But maybe that's just the 5w4 that makes all the difference.

Same.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=22782]Mademoiselle[/MENTION] as well, but I think she has since changed that in her profile.

Hello.

What's up?

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know of other people who identify with INTP who also identify as 4w5. But they also probably tend to have high levels of Fi use as a result.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do kind of care about my appearance, but it only goes so far. I want to look decent but I don't go crazy or anything, and don't wear makeup unless for a special occasion. I'll wear a few pieces of jewelry here and there. I have poofy/wavyish hair and I have a lot of it so it takes a while to keep it kempt and decent looking. I've been putting more effort into it since I got a new job, but go easier on it when I get my days off/on weekends where I don't go out.

If I don't have to be anywhere, I'll take the minimalist approach. ^^; I take care of my appearance when going out or going to work, but I was never a fashionista or anything and don't particularly like clothes shopping. Nonwork days are just T shirt days.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've started wearing product in my hair. Honestly, I should have been doing that and shaving regularly a long time ago.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
As an INTP, I do care about my appearance, yet the desire to be clean and put-together is more internally motivated than externally; I wear what I want and what I like, and couldn't care less if others find it appealing or fashionable. I don't follow or care what the trends are, and thus prefer to make and be my own trend.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It seems that most people would agree that INTPs don't care very much about their appearance. Does the fact that I do very much possibly debunk the validity of my INTP-ness? If I am actually and ENTP, would that change anything in this regard?

Edit: My bad, this should be moved to the NT-specific section.

No? I mean, stereotypically speaking, I'd imagine that's probably very common but there's so many factors that can affect such a thing. Upbringing, gender, the list goes on. I know that I in particular fit that stereotype very well, as I am often yelled out to attend more to my physical appearance (outside of general hygiene and cleanliness and what sort of lies in the domain of comfort, in which case I tend to pay attention heavily to that), but I don't think that's a real "deal breaker" for type.

And with personal appearance, as someone with pretty bad social anxiety, I tend to be really attentive to how I come across to others.