• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Some examples of NT behavior

snegledmaca

I found these statements to be good examples of the "insensitivity" often attributed to NT-s. They're examples of a Fe PoLR of ILI-s from this topic.

All by Britain's Prince Philip, the queen's husband:

Speaking to a driving instructor in Scotland, he asked: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?"

When visiting China in 1986, he told a group of British students, "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed".

After accepting a gift from a Kenyan citizen he replied, "You are a woman, aren't you?"

"If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an aeroplane, or swims and is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."

In 1966 he remarked that "British women can't cook."

To a British student in Papua New Guinea: "You managed not to get eaten then?"

Angering local residents in Lockerbie when on a visit to the town in 1993, the Prince said to a man who lived in a road where eleven people had been killed by wreckage from the Pan Am jumbo jet: "People usually say that after a fire it is water damage that is the worst. We are still trying to dry out Windsor Castle."

On a visit to the new National Assembly for Wales in Cardiff, he told a group of deaf children standing next to a Jamaican steel drum band, "Deaf? If you are near there, no wonder you are deaf."

He asked an Indigenous Australian, "Still throwing spears?" (2002)

Said to a Briton in Budapest, Hungary, "You can't have been here that long – you haven't got a pot belly." (1993)

Seeing a shoddily installed fuse box in a high-tech Edinburgh factory, HRH remarked that it looked "like it was put in by an Indian".

During a Royal visit to China in 1986 he described Beijing as "ghastly".

"Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (in 1994, to an islander in the Cayman Islands)

At the height of the recession in 1981 he said: "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."

Upon presenting a Duke of Edinburgh Award to a student, when informed that the young man was going to help out in Romania for six months, he asked if the student was going to help the Romanian orphans; upon being informed he was not, it was claimed the 85-year-old duke added: "Ah good, there's so many over there you feel they breed them just to put in orphanages."

At the University of Salford, he told a 13-year-old aspiring astronaut: "You could do with losing a bit of weight."

In 1997, the Duke of Edinburgh, participating in an already controversial British visit to the Jallianwala Bagh massacre (Amritsar Massacre) Monument, provoked outrage in India and in the UK with an offhand comment. Having observed a plaque claiming 2,000 casualties, Prince Philip observed, "That's not right. The number is less."

During a Royal visit to a Tamil Hindu temple in London , he asked a Hindu priest if he was related to the terrorist Tamil Tigers.

He once attributed a badly finished carpentry job to one having been done by an Indian.

In 1988 he said that "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation."

In 1996 he drew sharp criticism when he said a gun was no more dangerous than a cricket bat in the hands of a madman. The comment came in the wake of the massacre of 16 children and their teacher by a gun-toting psychopath in Dunblane, Scotland.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
These quotes always make me giggle.

Can someone please explain what "Fe PoLR of ILI-s" means?

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
In 1988 he said that "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation."

That's my new life motto, although death motto I suppose would be more accurate, I wonder if I can get it on a T-shirt.

snegledmaca

Here's another example of poor F skills displayed by NT-s, but this time of a Fi PoLR of ILE-s from this topic. I like the response one person gave to this

very human. I can relate, not to what he said, but in how he got disproportionately angry, said something he didn't mean, then became visibly defeated, all in such a short time span.
and I like this explanation (Ignore the socionics stuff) of the event

It's Fi PoLR because he totally misread the situation, thinking that the what he was saying was somehow appropriate and wouldn't offend anyone. Fi types would generally be far less likely to make this mistake in that situation.

...And then it was too late.

I think ENTps may tend to get high on the attention and positive reactions from the crowd, and they want more and more and fail to see the plateau until they say something offensive. I think if the crowd had laughed instead of gotten quiet Richards would have kept going, not thinking anything of it.

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
Oh, it's socionics. Just ignore it in the context of MBTI. Actually, think of it like enneagram references.
Stop using the terms if you're not willing to offer up at least a cursory link.

I hate socionics. I swear, if a type urinates, socionics has a specialized term for it (in the case of ESTps, it's called 'phenoodling,' since the ESTp's personal experience of peeing-- facilitated by their primary extraverted sensing-- completely seperates it out from the process of "wangdinging," which is, of course, tertiary introverted sensing, and thus peeing is a more primal, better understood, yet less mystical personal experience. It also shouldn't be confused with "flandoodling," blah blah blah....) in order to make it sound complex and meaningful to every aspect of one's life.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I found these statements to be good examples of the "insensitivity" often attributed to NT-s. They're examples of a Fe PoLR of ILI-s from this

"In 1988 he said that "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation."

That's great, my opinion of the Royal Family just increased immeasurably.

-Geoff

Hermione

MBTI Type
intp
Teh tahnk you for pointing out whot it is that you think I'm doing poorly.

I will be sure to remember it someday when I care.

i.e. The rest of the world is simply vapidly insensitive to my lack of sensitivity needs. Oh, and they were some fairly fine examples , too.

Langrenus

I don't think this has anything to do with Myers-Briggs. It's just proof of why generations of inbreeding are not a good idea.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think this has anything to do with Myers-Briggs. It's just proof of why generations of inbreeding are not a good idea.
+1

None of the NTs I respect would say things like this, although a couple I can't stand would. There's a difference between being tactless and being ignorant.

R

RDF

All by Britain's Prince Philip, the queen's husband:

Speaking to a driving instructor in Scotland, he asked: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?"

When visiting China in 1986, he told a group of British students, "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed" [...etc.]

The quotes cracked me up. He sounds charmingly old-school. ;)

Langrenus

On a very closely related note, I strongly advise everyone to read this article.

It reminds me slightly of the cargo cult phenomenon (phenomena?). Although I must say that the flag looks a little too new to me.