• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why INTJs are Boring and INTPs Interesting?

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Alright, so it struck me the other day that whenever I meet an INTP (I suspect this might be a more general NP thing, though), they are invariably interested in music, film, literature etc. They know all the obscure stuff and all the classics, they are passionate about and devoted to their (self-chosen) hobbies and enjoy finding hidden musical gems and "self-improvement" through exploring the stuff they are into (if they aren't naturally into something, that's another thing altogether).

The INTP will constantly ask me "Do you know x?" "Have you heard y?" etc. To which I'll almost always have to say "No...". After a while, it becomes irritating and I start feeling like an undereducated fool. I don't naturally have the urge to get engrossed in such things in the real world...I do not seek them out and most of the fun/interesting things I've come across I haven't found because I was looking for them, but because they were suggested to me or brought into my life by other people (including school). I'm open to everything they suggest and often feel very grateful for what they've added to my life, but I don't purposefully go looking for it, I just pick up what comes my way...possibly because the INTJ's primary function is a perceiving one whereas the INTP's is a judging one. You pick, we accept.

So...then I was thinking...what do I do with my time when I don't really work very hard and don't inherently have the need to do anything *overtly* interesting either? Basically, I daydream and I think. As opposed to Ne which appears to need tangible creative input, Ni is fine sitting in a silent window-less room and running its course like that. The entertainment system lies within and is much less visible to other people, ergo, the INTJ might be seen as boring. Mac was asking me about Star Wars, to which I replied I have Star Wars in my head, but that really does seem to be the case.

Anyways...recognisable? Comments?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think it is quite simple.

We are J and they are Playful.

The more J, INTJ you are the more boring you are to average person.

Our "job" is to be aloof , abstract/rational and boring.

But if you want to go to depth we can be quite interesing.

(I am not saying that INTPs don't go to depth also)

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
I think individiuals of both types can be boring... Intp s are even more in-thought due to IT/ IS combination, while an intj will seem as the aloof person... the problem is both types lack of interest in chitchat and social interaction etc,

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm an intensely private person, so people tend to project onto me how interesting they think I am. It's... interesting.

I think most of the issue is that INTJs 'can't take it with them,' and by this I mean knowledge. Even if an INTJ does do something interesting, when they try to talk about it, they seem to be grasping at straws. Because it's not applicable to the current situation, it's completely inaccessable. The only thing they can do that might be interesting is the way they put together what's in front of them.

INTPs, however, very much so can 'take it with them,' and indeed do. So this usually gives the appearance of an interesting person.

So... *shrug*

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Oh, yes, I defintiely suck at talking about the cool stuff I did. Only works when it's about ideas.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Oh, yes, I defintiely suck at talking about the cool stuff I did. Only works when it's about ideas.

Indeed, I've noticed I sometimes have to wring it out of an INTJ friend. They don't talk about their experiences so easily. I, however, see great conversational value in relating my experiences, so long as I can remember all the details.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Alright, so it struck me the other day that whenever I meet an INTP (I suspect this might be a more general NP thing, though), they are invariably interested in music, film, literature etc. They know all the obscure stuff and all the classics, they are passionate about and devoted to their (self-chosen) hobbies and enjoy finding hidden musical gems and "self-improvement" through exploring the stuff they are into (if they aren't naturally into something, that's another thing altogether).

The INTP will constantly ask me "Do you know x?" "Have you heard y?" etc. To which I'll almost always have to say "No...". After a while, it becomes irritating and I start feeling like an undereducated fool. I don't naturally have the urge to get engrossed in such things in the real world...I do not seek them out and most of the fun/interesting things I've come across I haven't found because I was looking for them, but because they were suggested to me or brought into my life by other people (including school). I'm open to everything they suggest and often feel very grateful for what they've added to my life, but I don't purposefully go looking for it, I just pick up what comes my way...possibly because the INTJ's primary function is a perceiving one whereas the INTP's is a judging one. You pick, we accept.

Going by this, I am more of an INTP than INTJ... I give my friends way too many music and film tips, and I find basically everything myself. I feel I annoy people and my friends with all my tips and that I overwhelm them, but I just want to share all my fantastic discoveries and to have someone to discuss them with... :p And yeah, I ask often if people have seen or heard this or that... Of late I actually have been a bit uncertain about whether I am J or P, but I really can't imagine Ti being my primary function, since I associate that with precise thought, and my head is rather messy, not bothering with what I see as details in the logic... Also I identify quite a lot with the pragmatism of Te, and I greatly value especially innovative and unbiased effectiveness.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah I don't see this as a type thing. I'm quite passionate about the arts and will get out there to discover new and exciting stuff on my own *shrug*

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah I don't see this as a type thing. I'm quite passionate about the arts and will get out there to discover new and exciting stuff on my own *shrug*

It's not a matter of doing it, it's a matter of if one's able to talk about it later...

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's not a matter of doing it, it's a matter of if one's able to talk about it later...

Well, the one thing INTJs enjoy talking about are their passions, and if one of the passions of an INTJ was the arts, wouldn't that INTJ most likely enjoy talking about his field of interest, in this case the arts?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I'll talk about it and stear friends towards my discoveries as I'll want others to enjoy them too.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't say that INTJs are boring or INTPs are interesting. Both have the potential to be quite interesting; they just have to stop thinking the rest of us are too retarded to understand what they are trying to say. I mean some of my friends are NTs, and we have the greatest discussions.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Well, the one thing INTJs enjoy talking about are their passions, and if one of the passions of an INTJ was the arts, wouldn't that INTJ most likely enjoy talking about his field of interest, in this case the arts?

I do like to talk about it, I just often feel like it wouldn't be interesting to the other person or I cannot adequately convey what's in my head...as a result, it becomes a half-hearted attempt that is not convincing at all. I have a hard time talking about myself in general. You have to really give me some time to gather my thoughts and make me feel like you're genuinely interested, otherwise, I just give up.

I never give other people tips...it doesn't occur to me, I guess it would feel a bit like imposing stuff on the other person.

Perhaps this is because I am very inward-focussed (Ni is huge Te is way behind). People have commented on how little I share of myself...perhaps I need to force myself onto other people more. :p

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I never give other people tips...it doesn't occur to me, I guess it would feel a bit like imposing stuff on the other person.

Part of it for me, is that I love guessing what my friends will like. It's a way for me to getting to know them better, a way for me to refine my mental models of them. A tip that is well-received is for me much like getting a hypothesis confirmed for a scientist, very satisfying, and if it's not well-received, I learn something about the person then too...

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Part of it for me, is that I love guessing what my friends will like. It's a way for me to getting to know them better, a way for me to refine my mental models of them. A tip that is well-received is for me much like getting a hypothesis confirmed for a scientist, very satisfying, and if it's not well-received, I learn something about the person then too...

Hmm...I have the same thing with gifts, but not with N stuff per se...I don't expect any of my friends to like what I like...maybe I'm surrounded by the wrong kind of peoplez.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hmm...I have the same thing with gifts, but not with N stuff per se...I don't expect any of my friends to like what I like...maybe I'm surrounded by the wrong kind of peoplez.

Haha, yeah, I have pretty intellectual and very intelligent friends (<3), and a very broad film taste, and I am developing a pretty broad music taste as well. All that helps, but if you like rather narrow and specific things, then I guess you are doomed to bore most people by such things... :p

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
From my experience of iNTp and iNTj , I must tell, I havent found an iNTp that actually did something intresting, besides lamenting. And that is mainly the reason why I dont think iNTp's to be intresting.

May I be proven wrong...

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Haha, yeah, I have pretty intellectual and very intelligent friends (<3), and a very broad film taste, and I am developing a pretty broad music taste as well. All that helps, but if you like rather narrow and specific things, then I guess you are doomed to bore most people by such things... :p

But, but, but, really...the postmodern condition and the status of madness and its representation in culture are interesting. :cry:

I want a hug from entropie now.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
But, but, but, really...the postmodern condition and the status of madness and its representation in culture are interesting. :cry:

I want a hug from entropie now.

I wont say it is postmodern. Madness and its representation in culture is controlled more nowadays. In darker times, it was much much harder to live, I can imagine.

*hugs Uytuun* :hug:

No madness to be afraid of as long as you have "guns" :)