• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why INTJs are Boring and INTPs Interesting?

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
My INTJ husband is very playful and funny. He uses his INTJness to have fun, whenever he can, provided he is not working full tilt on a goal or p*ssed off! He seems particularly good at using INTJ "action empathy" to do impersonations of others.

I do sometimes wish he would be more open minded about movies and books. I had a hard time getting him to watch Les Miserables with me. But after he watched it, he really liked it.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i didn't read everything, but simply but, J's just like asking "what's the point". INTJ's don't like entertaining things without a clear end, INTP's do. therefore, INTP's become interested in more things.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
Going by this, I am more of an INTP than INTJ... I give my friends way too many music and film tips, and I find basically everything myself. I feel I annoy people and my friends with all my tips and that I overwhelm them, but I just want to share all my fantastic discoveries and to have someone to discuss them with... :p And yeah, I ask often if people have seen or heard this or that... Of late I actually have been a bit uncertain about whether I am J or P, but I really can't imagine Ti being my primary function, since I associate that with precise thought, and my head is rather messy, not bothering with what I see as details in the logic... Also I identify quite a lot with the pragmatism of Te, and I greatly value especially innovative and unbiased effectiveness.

Agreed, this description makes me more INTP, but I usually score very high on J (though at times I wonder why cause I feel like a P yet definetly have the mental characteristics of an INTJ).

I would say it depends on a lot of things beyond being INTP and INTJ for what the OP is describing. I see myself as being a renaissance man at times, trying to master and know as many things as I can. Small details I don't care about though, only the big picture. And I'm always on the pursuit of new things to add to this personal thought process. I like poetry, I like art, I love music, I like museums. And I schedule all these hobbies efficiently as I can and never spend a concentrated time on them unless I feel like I'm lacking (or someone comes along who shows strong interest in the subject and would allow me to discuss ideas and analyze their opinions/thoughts/principles over the subject at hand).

My INTJ husband is very playful and funny. He uses his INTJness to have fun, whenever he can, provided he is not working full tilt on a goal or p*ssed off! He seems particularly good at using INTJ "action empathy" to do impersonations of others.

I do sometimes wish he would be more open minded about movies and books. I had a hard time getting him to watch Les Miserables with me. But after he watched it, he really liked it.

Kiersey would say: Well developed INTJ husband you have there!

YAH! I, and I'm sure other INTJ's, can relate here.:bananallama:

i didn't read everything, but simply but, J's just like asking "what's the point". INTJ's don't like entertaining things without a clear end, INTP's do. therefore, INTP's become interested in more things.

While some of your views on what INTJ's want, i.e. "clear end", are correct, I would completely argue against us not being interested in things like that. In fact I think it creates the opposite as we want to find ways to apply everything to life. Just when we think we are satisfied we move on to the next challenge. We are problem solving, challenge driven, NUTS. This will include art, poetry, music, etc... However, once we have a clear end, of some point, we don't forget it, and are VERY interesting it talking about our "solutions", even though they may seem crazy.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually find the two INTJs in my life quite interesting to talk to. They may not talk all the time, but neither do I.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
This discussion made it to the INTJforums. I wonder if torches are being lit.

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Based on personal experiences as an INTP....

If either xNTP or xNTJ tend to be shy, they won't come out as someone interesting. Take note, the sensors don't really have that much a clear line of distinction in distinguising one rational from the other.

However given an outspoken xNTP versus an outspoken xNTJ, I'll give a bit of an edge to the xNTP.

In my personal observation, the only time a xNTJ becomes really glaringly interesting is when he suffers from a bit of personal insecurity that he needs to jack up his J funtion in an outspoken manner to prove that he's right, often times creating a persona of being an intellectual ass.

Not that xNTP doesn't suffer from the same thing. Actually, any NT can really make anyone look stupid.

The reason why xNTP can have an edge is because of the P function, defined by the Ne/Ti axis.

Ne/Ti is rare, even among the geek realm.

You can have that many rationals having a strong Si because that's what they're socially conditioned to have. And you can have so many rationals having a strong Te, because that's the 'academic' way of thinking.

In this sense, we can imagine an xNTJ as an evolved xSTJ because it's like a progression from being the soldierboy to the commander-in-chief.

But xNTP is a rarity. It's hardly socially conditioned. Ti can hardly be 100% objectified (that's what Te is trying to do, but it realistically represent Ti).

And when Ne plays with Ti, it comes out as something mystical. Not only it is rare, but is also hardly defineable.

That's why an outspoken xNTP comes out really interesting, at least in my case. Not necessarily likeable, but then again, it's a rarity.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
i didn't read everything, but simply but, J's just like asking "what's the point". INTJ's don't like entertaining things without a clear end, INTP's do.

I am an INTJ and say this is fairly spot on. I actually attempt to engage people (at times) socially. Its strange that most people dont ask what I do or inquire about any personal information. To me, I could have this type of conversation with a chair in my house. I get bored pretty quickly trying to invent a line of dialogue. I am the one usually asking questions.,,,and being frustrated by the (lack of) answers. We definitely need a muse/conduit to keep our interest...or the "whats the point" will kick in. We then retire back to our thoughts.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn

If either xNTP or xNTJ tend to be shy, they won't come out as someone interesting. Take note, the sensors don't really have that much a clear line of distinction in distinguising one rational from the other.

However given an outspoken xNTP versus an outspoken xNTJ, I'll give a bit of an edge to the xNTP.

In my personal observation, the only time a xNTJ becomes really glaringly interesting is when he suffers from a bit of personal insecurity that he needs to jack up his J funtion in an outspoken manner to prove that he's right, often times creating a persona of being an intellectual ass.

Not that xNTP doesn't suffer from the same thing. Actually, any NT can really make anyone look stupid.

The reason why xNTP can have an edge is because of the P function, defined by the Ne/Ti axis.

You can have that many rationals having a strong Si because that's what they're socially conditioned to have. And you can have so many rationals having a strong Te, because that's the 'academic' way of thinking.

In this sense, we can imagine an xNTJ as an evolved xSTJ because it's like a progression from being the soldierboy to the commander-in-chief.

But xNTP is a rarity. It's hardly socially conditioned. Ti can hardly be 100% objectified (that's what Te is trying to do, but it realistically represent Ti).

And when Ne plays with Ti, it comes out as something mystical. Not only it is rare, but is also hardly defineable.

That's why an outspoken xNTP comes out really interesting, at least in my case. Not necessarily likeable, but then again, it's a rarity.

No need to prove you can be jesters at times.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am an INTJ and say this is a fairly spot on. I actually attempt to engage people (at times) socially. Its strange that most people dont ask what I do or inquire about any personal information. To me, I could have this type of conversation with a chair in my house. I get bored pretty quickly trying to invent a line of dialogue. I am the one usually asking questions.,,,and being frustrated by the (lack of) answers. We definitely need a muse/conduit to keep our interest...or the "whats the point" will kick in. We then retire back to our thoughts.

This I agree with. I want to engage in interesting conversations of any fashion, but lack of "feedback" causes my interest to go down in flames. I don't like digging.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ

As someone else said....what?

I don't follow your logic on INTJ's here at all, even masking it as xNTJ. Also like to point out INTJ is more rare then every other type save INFJ which is about equal.

Analyze Ni/Te and there is some food for thought for interesting "outcomes".

Anyways....yeah...think I'm done here.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This I agree with. I want to engage in interesting conversations of any fashion, but lack of "feedback" causes my interest to go down in flames. I don't like digging.

I actually find myself in this position a lot too, it is the reason why I find myself too often trying to create distance from most people. I want to be engaged, but my peers seem few and far between.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj

Well, I can say this wasnt written by an INTJ.:doh: We dont "create a persona" in order to appear correct...we ARE correct/have an educated vantage or dont bother to comment. There is no arrogance involved/intended.....just pragmatic reduction others misconstrue as arrogance. This is why we are the most misunderstood type...we just want shit to make sense. I would venture to say INTJs enjoy/embrace being wrong more than any other type. Just doesnt happen very often.......:devil:

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
this is very interesting information about INTJ's guys. someone who loves an interesting conversation but doesn't like digging for them. sounds like the perfect match for an ENFP! if anything, i'm known to some of my friends as being smothering. i love discussion too, especially about new, difficult theories that just blow my mind. INTJ's may get bored of my small talk though, but i guess it's different when you're close. INTJ's can be fiercely loyal and loving to those who are close and ENFP's put in effort to make a relationship work. o INTJ's why must you be so rare?

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
this is very interesting information about INTJ's guys. someone who loves an interesting conversation but doesn't like digging for them. sounds like the perfect match for an ENFP! if anything, i'm known to some of my friends as being smothering. i love discussion too, especially about new, difficult theories that just blow my mind. INTJ's may get bored of my small talk though, but i guess it's different when you're close. INTJ's can be fiercely loyal and loving to those who are close and ENFP's put in effort to make a relationship work. o INTJ's why must you be so rare?

Cause we kick ass...the world's that is. It couldn't handle to many of us:devil:

World domination!