• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What type digs romantic comedies.........

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
romantic comedies are guilty pleasures. sometimes i wish i had a girlfriend to share them with but in good time. trying not to rush these things.

but yeah guys can enjoy them too.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I'll second the nomination for Love Actually, despite Murkow's terse review :D In fact, the film's writer/director, Richard Curtis, may be as close as we have to an "auteur" for romantic comedies. He also wrote Four Weddings And A Funeral, which is stellar, and Notting Hill, which is pretty good. He and Hugh Grant (a criminally underrated actor) seem to bring out the best in each other. For better or for worse, Curtis was also a writer for the Mr. Bean and Black Adder TV series.

I found neither heart nor humour in "Love Actually". And it didn't really feel very solid. ('though I loved the gospel choir at the beginning).

I still think Curtis is brilliant. He won the nation's hearts with The Vicar of Dibley, which I prefer to Blackadder and Bean.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my bad. Enfj's.

You know, I've heard that we're impossible romantics, but frankly aside from the idealism and living out the elaborate fantasies we make up, the candy-flowers-cardboard cut-out love thing just strikes me as boring and unoriginal. In fact, it may kill my attraction. I got a supercharger core from an ISTP which I loved, and a Valentine from an ENTP that was Neruda's sheep standing over a lamb chop. Morbid AND sweet! Got me right in the heart parts.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I found neither heart nor humour in "Love Actually". And it didn't really feel very solid.

I still think Curtis is brilliant, though. He won the nation's hearts with The Vicar of Dibley, which I prefer to Blackadder and Bean.

Oh my goodness. "Sausages in scarlet pimpernel sauce! Pimpernels in scarlet sausage sauce! etc" lol too funny.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like them.

27 Dresses was good. So was 50 First Dates.

They're unrealistic, but a light and funny escape from real life. No guy in real life is ever as romantic as they come in Rom-Coms.

Constantly? No. Can some beat moments? Don't see why not? Problem is most guys forget this after the honeymoon period and don't maintain their relationship the write way. Hint guys: After you marry, you shouldn't stop dating your wife (twice a month w/o kids, once a month with kids minimum is a good). Ok, I'm derailing this thread with the INTJ "fix the relationship to be perfect" side. Ciao.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
You know, I've heard that we're impossible romantics, but frankly aside from the idealism and living out the elaborate fantasies we make up, the candy-flowers-cardboard cut-out love thing just strikes me as boring and unoriginal. In fact, it may kill my attraction. I got a supercharger core from an ISTP which I loved, and a Valentine from an ENTP that was Neruda's sheep standing over a lamb chop. Morbid AND sweet! Got me right in the heart parts.

i think when the writer talked about candy and stuff, it was more of a metaphor for romance than anything. N types want creativity, so yeah, i agree that flowers etc. get cliche. i'm an NF myself, so i think i know where you're coming from (that's what she said :shock:).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

I tend to agree, the one eNFj girl I know, just is too old to still have time for romance :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
I found neither heart nor humour in "Love Actually". And it didn't really feel very solid. ('though I loved the gospel choir at the beginning).

I still think Curtis is brilliant. He won the nation's hearts with The Vicar of Dibley, which I prefer to Blackadder and Bean.

I thought the storylines in Love Actually varied from bad (the guy voyaging to America) to charming (the movie stand-ins) to romantic (Hugh Grant and the delicious dish playing his underling) to sublime (Colin Firth and the Portugese girl) to laugh out loud funny (Bill Nighy as the aging rocker). Yeah, it's uneven, but it's so good natured and the best parts are brilliant. I also have a weakness for Christmas-themed movies.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Sorry to dent Christmas fuzzies. I can overlook things if Christmas fuzzies are being gotten.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
romantic comedies are guilty pleasures.

Yup, most of the time (especially with the really soppy ones), it's not even something I'd like for myself, but it's still nice to get carried away by the film and live the emotions.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
this has been sort of bugging me. for the record entropie, all NF's are romantic in general. i don't know how that kinda slipped my mind. i was looking for a specific quote on ENFJ's so i was a bit sidetracked/confused.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I don't know what was worse: having watched Love Actually or having to suppress a tirade when the hordes around me start praising the shitty thing.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know what was worse: having watched Love Actually or having to suppress a tirade when the hordes around me start praising the shitty thing.

We will see them as broken husks.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Hmmmmm.... I've not watched many Brit rom-coms... any suggestions?

I'm surprised you haven't found any Hollywood ones to your liking... there are so many good ones... my favorite American rom-com has to be "You've Got Mail"...

Oops, forgot about this thread. I think it's more of a cultural thing with sense of humour. 'You've Got Mail' is not my thing - I didn't find it funny at all (not helped by the fact I really don't like Meg Ryan in any of her roles) and I gave up halfway through.

I really liked 'Four Weddings & a Funeral', 'Love Actually', 'Much Ado About Nothing', 'Shirley Valentine' and 'Bridget Jones Diary (1 & 2)'. Er, I can't remember any more.

Actually, there is one American romantic comedy I enjoyed - '10 Things I Hate About You'. I've even watched it twice. :ninja: