• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why are we (INTJ/INTP) so rare?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I vaguely recall seeing a population distribution of MBTI in Australia or somewhere that had INTJs as like 10% of the population.

I don't know what to make of that vague memory. It seemed like a legit stat.

WOW that seems a lot... be itnerested to see if it's true... Victor always says MBTI hasn't travelled far enough into Ozziness to be big... YET!

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Personally I think INTJ's are born, my best friend (INTJ - a resonably social one).... had a wee boy, the MOST stoic child I ever met under 9 months old... he has warmed up a lot since but still terribly serious kid....

His daddy is an ENFP, so likely to soften up the edges, but the wee one's type is really strong

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
because we are so good that only few can be that good

Arkhitekton

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5-3
i think we're rare because part of what we are is how we have a tendency to search and observe things that the majority of people that we're aware of wouldn't notice or understand

you can't easily be part of the majority on a mental level if you spend all your time in places the majority isn't

i think that it is entirely likely that some of us are born the way we are, some of us assimilate to the personalities around us that we like, and some of us rebel, and become one of the most uncommon personality types in our environment

i guess it's a weird thing to analyze, but whatever the cause is, it likely has something to do with human nature, and the necessities of separate types in a community

it is more important to ask yourself why you became the type you did, than to ask why everyone else became what they did

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
food_guide_pyramid.gif

Basically, SJs are like the bread and grains of the earth. They're bland, but you need a lot of them to make the diet work. But INTXs are like fats, oils, and sweets. Use sparingly. They can taste great, but too many of them and the rest of the system doesn't function, and forgets to take care of itself and shower regularly.

NFs are the fruit group.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
And lifes mysteries stand explained. Just needed one pyramid :D

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For an old-time joke-they just have trouble getting laid.

Nah.

Maybe they don't have too many one night stands but that's not the most efficient way to generate offspring and take care of them afterwards.

Fun fact: INTx types only appear rare because they spend most of their time shut in and never actually see each other.

I've met a number of them but actually do think INTJs are pretty rare. INTPs seem much more common.

Because you're all freaks.

Why thank you. I'd much rather be different. Gives one a more unique value proposition to the world.

Personally I think INTJ's are born, my best friend (INTJ - a resonably social one).... had a wee boy, the MOST stoic child I ever met under 9 months old... he has warmed up a lot since but still terribly serious kid....

Personal opinion is this stuff is inborn.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it because having 8 kids isnt practical?:) I am going to create an army of INTJs...start donating to sperm banks worlwide. :devil:

Actually come to think of it, I wonder if introverts, especially Ts have fewer children than extraverts, because of their need for peace and quiet.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you're a T that woman fall on accidentally and get pregnant and have a lot of money to pay for all the kids you can have peace and silence too

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ya, I'm not too sure about the concept of setting up an INT breeding program to spawn little INTlets :thelook:

:banana:

Fun fact: INTx types only appear rare because they spend most of their time shut in and never actually see each other.

:D Come out, come out, wherever you aaaarrrreeeee!

If both of your Parrents happen to be INTJ's, I would figure that due to a form of conditioning (i.e. living with two cold hearted, crackpots, who may or may not hover over your bed with a knife every wednesday night......)you would pick up there traits, after all, most children tend to imitate their parents at a young age...

Neither of my parents are NTs. One is ISFJ and the other is (I suspect) ISTP. My sisters are all NFs. The only one I remotely understand used to be the ISTP, the rest I just enjoy their company because I love them, even though THEY are weird. (Not me!)

Because you're all freaks.

:laugh:

... the wee one's type is really strong

lol... that sounds a bit Yoda-ish. "The NT force is strong in this one..."

Actually come to think of it, I wonder if introverts, especially Ts have fewer children than extraverts, because of their need for peace and quiet.

:yes:

There are a whole lot of NT's where I work... but its a small software company. Seems like good congregation ground. Lots of liberty to think on their own and apply their creations, lots of other INT's lurking around just all wanting to be left alone to do their work in peace... and when one of us breaks loose acting like a nut, the others are happy to join in. We feel such... such comraderie! *sniff* Its like, a big circus of social retards!!

:happy:

I think the breakdown here (in 20 people) is:

INTPs - 4
INTJs - 4 (and one suspected INTJ who is too smart to be tricked into testing)
ISTP - 1
INFJ - 1
INFP - 1
ISTJ - 1
ENFJ - 1

Not sure about the remaining folks.

Loxias

MBTI Type
INxj
Enneagram
4w5
The good thing to do is to have children with an ISFJ or someone of a similar type that will take great pleasure to rearing them so INTx parents can have their quiet.
Then, if one of the kids turns out to be INTx, then the INTx parent can help bring it up.
Otherwise, well, other kids can be good too, and the ISFJ parent will love them anyway.

Of course ideally, the greater the number of INTx, an INTx parent could lead their non INTx child to suicide before having children by being the uncaring person they can easily be.
But I think this kind of cruelty is foreign to all types of humans, even NTs.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ mother, INTJ child.

Is it because having 8 kids isnt practical?:) I am going to create an army of INTJs...start donating to sperm banks worlwide. :devil:

I'd like to buy some INTJ sperm, so that I can shun my child with cold indifference.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
I work in an academic (science) setting, and I (from my personal observation and a few known typings) see a LOT of INTJ/INTPs. Like a good 1/3 of the people I might see today. Actually more INTP than INTJ, or maybe that's sample bias because I hang out with the slackers. There are plenty of sensors in science too, and it's easy to pick them out just because their problems with the way science is done (No one is doing the correct statistics! Who messed up my laser/PCR machine!) is very different from the N's (Everyone does small, meaningless, incremental science!). There is a small proportion of NF as well. But I think in science there are a lot of INT, so that would naturally make them more deficient elsewhere?

Of course I can also answer the basic question by saying we're more evolved - away from the emotion-driven animal brain towards a higher rational brain. But that's just not nice, and I have no proof.

Little_Sticks

The good thing to do is to have children with an ISFJ or someone of a similar type that will take great pleasure to rearing them so INTx parents can have their quiet.
Then, if one of the kids turns out to be INTx, then the INTx parent can help bring it up.
Otherwise, well, other kids can be good too, and the ISFJ parent will love them anyway.

I honestly think this is brilliant, as long as the plan works out that way.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll take care of the rejects if I'm part of the process that makes them. :D

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe some INT's have (a) legit reason(s) for not wanting any children (like me)!

I don't want children - I'm not even sure if I ever want a husband! - b/c I want to live for myself. I don't want to compromise my freedom for anyone. Children (and possibly a husband) will probably get in my way. What if one day I get this random urge to travel around the world (not altogether likely, but this is only hypothetical)?

Oh yeah, I ABHOR house chores (and routines in general) too.

Loxias

MBTI Type
INxj
Enneagram
4w5
Oh yeah, I ABHOR house chores.

Same here, hence why it's good to have a partner to do it in our place (of course you'd have to do some stuff in return, but I am sure there can be compromises). :cheese: