User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Small talk?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I'm welcome to any kind of talk-- small, large, whatever it may be, as long as it's intellectually stimulating.

But in general, I don't have a problem with small talk lol

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w9 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Funny you mention it, I love people - as long as they're nice lol - but conversations and social interaction tends to be quite difficult for me. :P
    Maybe it's just hard to find anybody that's actually able and willing to talk about things that I like, or vice versa.
    INFP 1w9-6w5-4w3 so/sp | Neutral Good | Melancholic-Phlegmatic

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Funny you mention it, I love people - as long as they're nice lol - but conversations and social interaction tends to be quite difficult for me. :P
    Maybe it's just hard to find anybody that's actually able and willing to talk about things that I like, or vice versa.
    This is what renders most conversations an exercise in frustration, barring some specific utilitarian purpose.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Small talk is fine as long as it doesn't last too long. Though if stories count as small talk which they could under the google definition, then yeah it's fine. It really just means polite and uncontroversial conversation.

johari
    nohari

I'm easily bored by it, I really am not a verbal person in general. I only say what I want and only wanna hear what others wanna say. But give me a glass of wine or whatever and I'd be happy to share things that aren't at all important to me. :P

MBTI
    ESFJ

I would say I'm pretty okay with small talk for short stretches, but otherwise I have to turn it into a game/performance/experiment to stay engaged. Like if I go to a party and the people are boring me with small talk, I'll just throw a question out like: Who is the physically strongest man in this room? And while I don't actually care about the answer, it's so interesting to sit back and watch.

If I can manage to get people off the weather, I really enjoy walking people step-by-step through their bizarre logic and seeing if they even notice how crazy they sound. I don't argue with them because I want them to truly reveal themselves (plus it can cause a lot of fuss). I usually try to draw them out through feigning naïve curiosity. Sometimes you learn a lot from them, but it's usually quite an unintentional lesson on their part. It's really funny because so many people are sure they themselves have THE ANSWER, and the other 6 billion people are idiots.

I listened to some dude explain how the Old Testament, if you decode the numbered passages, predicted 9/11. He did so with a feverish intensity, his bald head purpling, his jowls moist with sweat. I couldn't help but wonder why this was so important to him, and why he didn't really seem to think too critically about how much of a reach it all was. What was gripping him so? Do I have a personal equivalent to this guy's obsession?

My mom genuinely likes small talk, and so she gets disgusted watching me toy with very sincere people. My argument is that if I'm not hurting them, they enjoy my company, and they don't even notice, how is it wrong? They are essentially using me by inconsiderately spraying me in the face with all their obsessions, why do I just have to sit back and not get anything out of the interaction? Is it wrong to study animals in the wild? Then why is it wrong to study beliefs in the wild?