Thread: Small talk?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Acer Scout View Post
    I'm not sure about other ENTP's but I try to find something the other person is interested in, and talk about that. I love learning about other people, am I'm aware that people love talking about themselves.
    I usually avoid talking about myself unless it makes sense to do so. I'd rather relate to something abstract that others can relate to as well. It's one of those cases where some people will start giving you their autobiography of an experience they had full of meaningless names ( to you) because something you said resonated with them. "Well I remember when I ... bla bla bla." Other people will relate it to something neutral and toy with the idea itself " Do you think X makes sense because bla bla bla."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

mood permitting, i find it boring but not painful. guess i'm just used to it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ None

PHP Code:
    Given the fact that you are spending time with someone else ( I.eexternal to youthen it is by definitionan extroverted activitydo similar things with my INFJ and we enjoy it
    I disagree. I think there are various forms of communication and you are using different functions while communicating. Just because you're communicating with anther person, doesn't mean that communication is inherently extroverted.

PHP Code:
    I think you are mistaking Jung's understanding of extroversion with the colloquial pop culture understanding of extroversion. Jung never said AFAIK introversion is just communicating with one person ( outside yourself) and extroversion is more. You're literally making that uplol 
    Yes and so are you. These are opinion after all. Nothing you've stated is a fact or straight from Jung's mouth. I've never claimed my opinions to be facts, just sharing opinions man.

PHP Code:
    I think that has more do with instinctual tendencies described in Enneagram theorySx's tend to like 1 on 1 interaction while So's prefer more that is my crude understanding of it anyway). I don't really like parties and prefer the 1 on 1 interaction with an intelligent person or a small group where I can communicate more effectively. 
    Because these tend to be introverted forms of communication, in my opinion.

PHP Code:
    NopeIntroverted communication is communicating with yourself maybe through art composing musicmeditationetcWhen you involve a source external to yourself then that is an extroverted activityINTJ's have aux Te which motivates you to communicate your Ni thoughts in a structured sort of way. 
    No. That is not exactly what it means. According to Merrium Webster's dictionary, "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life."

Communicating with another person does not inhibit introversion and the two are not exclusive according to this definition. One can communicate in an introverted way.

You may be asking, how does one do such a thing? In order to understand, I believe one has to be an introvert. Unspoken tokens of affection (glances, caresses, etc...), subtleties of meaning in conversations. That Intuitive thing where all intuitive seem to "know" what you are saying without having to actually state it. Implied meaning is a huge part of communication between introverts. This is 90% of what I'm doing when I'm hanging around my boyfriend.

We're not always talking when we are hanging out, we're not always talking about something meaningful. Yet we are communicating just by being around each other.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Felix5 View Post
    PHP Code:
    Given the fact that you are spending time with someone else ( I.eexternal to youthen it is by definitionan extroverted activitydo similar things with my INFJ and we enjoy it
    Why did you put your quotes into PHP code tags instead of standard quote tags?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes fetus liked this post

Not an ENTP, but I have no problem with small talk. It's just a means to an end.

Also, like all forms of communication, there is an art to it. So if you enjoy it for the art, it can be fun.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ None

Why did you put your quotes into PHP code tags instead of standard quote tags?
    I was dead tired after a long day at work and I think I did it accidentally. Too lazy to fix it now lol

I can talk about pretty much everything and anything. I can't not talk. Being comfortable with silence around someone else has been a huge challenge, and there's only a few people I can really do it with.

Enneagram
    e7 sp/sx

Perhaps you are a SX last?

I am probably an SX last too but I am fairly good at small talk, so I can't really relate to my own theory of you being an SX last.

However, when I was younger I had this issue of not having being able to make small talk and recall making a conscious effort to be good at it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexxie View Post
    I can talk about pretty much everything and anything. I can't not talk. Being comfortable with silence around someone else has been a huge challenge, and there's only a few people I can really do it with.
    I talked almost the whole flight home. I met an ENTP woman on the airport. It was crazy how easy philisophical we were getting. She had a dog with her. That helped. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    I talked almost the whole flight home. I met an ENTP woman on the airport. It was crazy how easy philisophical we were getting. She had a dog with her. That helped. <3
    Lol I also make friends with people's pets first.