• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Small talk?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not sure about other ENTP's but I try to find something the other person is interested in, and talk about that. I love learning about other people, am I'm aware that people love talking about themselves.

I usually avoid talking about myself unless it makes sense to do so. I'd rather relate to something abstract that others can relate to as well. It's one of those cases where some people will start giving you their autobiography of an experience they had full of meaningless names ( to you) because something you said resonated with them. "Well I remember when I ... bla bla bla." Other people will relate it to something neutral and toy with the idea itself " Do you think X makes sense because bla bla bla."

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
mood permitting, i find it boring but not painful. guess i'm just used to it.

Felix5

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
PHP:
Given the fact that you are spending time with someone else ( I.e. external to you) then it is , by definition, an extroverted activity. I do similar things with my INFJ and we enjoy it.

I disagree. I think there are various forms of communication and you are using different functions while communicating. Just because you're communicating with anther person, doesn't mean that communication is inherently extroverted.

PHP:
I think you are mistaking Jung's understanding of extroversion with the colloquial pop culture understanding of extroversion. Jung never said AFAIK introversion is just communicating with one person ( outside yourself) and extroversion is more. You're literally making that up. lol

Yes and so are you. These are opinion after all. Nothing you've stated is a fact or straight from Jung's mouth. I've never claimed my opinions to be facts, just sharing opinions man.

PHP:
I think that has more do with instinctual tendencies described in Enneagram theory. Sx's tend to like 1 on 1 interaction while So's prefer more ( that is my crude understanding of it anyway). I don't really like parties and prefer the 1 on 1 interaction with an intelligent person or a small group where I can communicate more effectively.

Because these tend to be introverted forms of communication, in my opinion.

PHP:
Nope. Introverted communication is communicating with yourself maybe through art , composing music, meditation, etc. When you involve a source external to yourself then that is an extroverted activity. INTJ's have aux Te which motivates you to communicate your Ni thoughts in a structured sort of way.

No. That is not exactly what it means. According to Merrium Webster's dictionary, "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life."

Communicating with another person does not inhibit introversion and the two are not exclusive according to this definition. One can communicate in an introverted way.

You may be asking, how does one do such a thing? In order to understand, I believe one has to be an introvert. Unspoken tokens of affection (glances, caresses, etc...), subtleties of meaning in conversations. That Intuitive thing where all intuitive seem to "know" what you are saying without having to actually state it. Implied meaning is a huge part of communication between introverts. This is 90% of what I'm doing when I'm hanging around my boyfriend.

We're not always talking when we are hanging out, we're not always talking about something meaningful. Yet we are communicating just by being around each other.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
PHP:
Given the fact that you are spending time with someone else ( I.e. external to you) then it is , by definition, an extroverted activity. I do similar things with my INFJ and we enjoy it.
Why did you put your quotes into PHP code tags instead of standard quote tags?

Sil

This is a test.
Not an ENTP, but I have no problem with small talk. It's just a means to an end.

Also, like all forms of communication, there is an art to it. So if you enjoy it for the art, it can be fun.

Felix5

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Why did you put your quotes into PHP code tags instead of standard quote tags?

I was dead tired after a long day at work and I think I did it accidentally. Too lazy to fix it now lol

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I can talk about pretty much everything and anything. I can't not talk. Being comfortable with silence around someone else has been a huge challenge, and there's only a few people I can really do it with.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Perhaps you are a SX last?

I am probably an SX last too but I am fairly good at small talk, so I can't really relate to my own theory of you being an SX last.

However, when I was younger I had this issue of not having being able to make small talk and recall making a conscious effort to be good at it.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can talk about pretty much everything and anything. I can't not talk. Being comfortable with silence around someone else has been a huge challenge, and there's only a few people I can really do it with.

I talked almost the whole flight home. :laugh: I met an ENTP woman on the airport. It was crazy how easy philisophical we were getting. She had a dog with her. That helped. <3

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I talked almost the whole flight home. :laugh: I met an ENTP woman on the airport. It was crazy how easy philisophical we were getting. She had a dog with her. That helped. <3
Lol I also make friends with people's pets first.

michellleemybell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm welcome to any kind of talk-- small, large, whatever it may be, as long as it's intellectually stimulating.

But in general, I don't have a problem with small talk lol

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Funny you mention it, I love people - as long as they're nice lol - but conversations and social interaction tends to be quite difficult for me. :p
Maybe it's just hard to find anybody that's actually able and willing to talk about things that I like, or vice versa.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Funny you mention it, I love people - as long as they're nice lol - but conversations and social interaction tends to be quite difficult for me. :p
Maybe it's just hard to find anybody that's actually able and willing to talk about things that I like, or vice versa.
This is what renders most conversations an exercise in frustration, barring some specific utilitarian purpose.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Small talk is fine as long as it doesn't last too long. Though if stories count as small talk which they could under the google definition, then yeah it's fine. It really just means polite and uncontroversial conversation.

Enneagram
9w1
I'm easily bored by it, I really am not a verbal person in general. I only say what I want and only wanna hear what others wanna say. But give me a glass of wine or whatever and I'd be happy to share things that aren't at all important to me. :p

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I would say I'm pretty okay with small talk for short stretches, but otherwise I have to turn it into a game/performance/experiment to stay engaged. Like if I go to a party and the people are boring me with small talk, I'll just throw a question out like: Who is the physically strongest man in this room? And while I don't actually care about the answer, it's so interesting to sit back and watch.

If I can manage to get people off the weather, I really enjoy walking people step-by-step through their bizarre logic and seeing if they even notice how crazy they sound. I don't argue with them because I want them to truly reveal themselves (plus it can cause a lot of fuss). I usually try to draw them out through feigning naïve curiosity. Sometimes you learn a lot from them, but it's usually quite an unintentional lesson on their part. It's really funny because so many people are sure they themselves have THE ANSWER, and the other 6 billion people are idiots.

I listened to some dude explain how the Old Testament, if you decode the numbered passages, predicted 9/11. He did so with a feverish intensity, his bald head purpling, his jowls moist with sweat. I couldn't help but wonder why this was so important to him, and why he didn't really seem to think too critically about how much of a reach it all was. What was gripping him so? Do I have a personal equivalent to this guy's obsession?

My mom genuinely likes small talk, and so she gets disgusted watching me toy with very sincere people. My argument is that if I'm not hurting them, they enjoy my company, and they don't even notice, how is it wrong? They are essentially using me by inconsiderately spraying me in the face with all their obsessions, why do I just have to sit back and not get anything out of the interaction? Is it wrong to study animals in the wild? Then why is it wrong to study beliefs in the wild?