• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and spelling

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
The comma thing inside quotes irks me. If something is in quotes, to me it should be part of the word or phrase. If it's not (i.e., if it's punctuation), it should go outside.

But the US seems backwards that way. I had to work very hard to accustom myself to that rule.
There is a name for this, and it is the standard in most of the English-speaking world to put them inside, while among a certain subset of writers (computer people and technical writers, primarily) the reverse is true. It's a similar thing to the capitalization rules being bent for variable names (Java has naming conventions that try to reduce this, curiously-enough, which have been adopted in many modern OO languages). Your normal method is taking the world by storm and has all-but consumed the rest of the English-speaking world at this point.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
the most anal I have observed are ISTJs.

Oh yeah. My husband has cancelled subscriptions to five newspapers (a local one he's cancelled twice) because of typos, paragraphs that end on one page never to be continued and misspelled names - proper names of the people the articles are about.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Brytysh and Amerikan?

The comma thing inside quotes irks me. If something is in quotes, to me it should be part of the word or phrase. If it's not (i.e., if it's punctuation), it should go outside.

But the US seems backwards that way. I had to work very hard to accustom myself to that rule.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I decided that rule was nonsensical, so I punctuate like you do in this case. As a precise pedant, I guess I'm violating my own ethic, but in this case I really do think we know better :)

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I decided that rule was nonsensical, so I punctuate like you do in this case. As a precise pedant, I guess I'm violating my own ethic, but in this case I really do think we know better :)

Fi strikes again?

ygolo

My termites win
:soapbox:

Grammar and spelling are arbitrary things meant to make people waste time. I will change the rules when I see fit. I will not care about mistakes.

That is all.

:harhar: :peepwall: :run:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Fi strikes again?

I really have to look up "Fi", "Fe", "Te" and all these other things that look more at home coming out of Julie Andrews' mouth in "The Sound Of Music". I will know what is going on here a lot more :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I really have to look up "Fi", "Fe", "Te" and all these other things that look more at home coming out of Julie Andrews' mouth in "The Sound Of Music". I will know what is going on here a lot more :)

Back when I first started coming to the sister site that this site grew out of (INTP Central, which partially explains why our cup runneth over with NTs here), I would always think of Jack & the Beanstalk when the Fe Fi Ne Ni stuff came up. :)

Extraverted Sensing

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

It's going to be difficult to find them if you don't already know, so here:

Ni = Introverted Intuition

Ne = Extraverted Intuition

Ti = Introverted Thinking

Te = Extraverted Thinking

Fi = Introverted Feeling

Fe = Extraverted Feeling

Si = Introverted Sensing

Se = Extraverted Sensing

Definitions of the 8 functions vary. The main three that you should look at are the "Gifts Differing" descriptions, the cognitiveprocesses.com descriptions, and perhaps even the original Jungian descriptions. Most people identify themselves with one set, and reject the others, because each definition of the functions is noticeably different, and no one has managed to resolve the ambiguity.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yeah, I'm an ISTJ, and I used to be so bad about that stuff as a kid that my mom and sister used to call me "Mrs. Correct-All". It still bothers me, but I've learned to try to just silently chuckle at these people's lack of (especially) spelling skills to myself rather than calling them out for it.... It works... sometimes....

Ms. M

MBTI Type
INTJ
My grandfather enjoyed bugging me with this as a child. I remember one particular time, around the holidays, when they had decorative "Merry Christmas" wooden blocks on display. He had rearranged the letters to spell "Christmas" incorrectly, and laughed when it took about 30 seconds for me to realize the error and rearrange the blocks.