• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and spelling

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Before Shakespeare and James the vernacular was free.
Not so. Under Henry V, the written language was standardized.

This sounds very convenient in a one world/I'm okay, you're okay/60s halcyon sense.
Which is uncharacteristic, as Wildcat is punctilious about cognitive functions.

Tonks

MBTI Type
INTP
I hate bad spelling/typos too and I'm a P (at least I think I am).

Zhash

Do misspelled words and bad grammar tick you off? Do you have to fight the urge to correct? Or is it really Just Me :blush: I *think* it's a J thing - wanting things done a certain way.

Oh my God, I freak out when I misspell. Honestly, I beat myself up. Half the edits I have in this forum are due to misspellings. Most people could give a you-know-what but not me. I'll beat myself up and I can't be still until I correct it.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
I found a lot of NT's to be quite poor at spelling (Esp those in the IT industry).

Basically its a function of 1) That spelling isn't important to the grand scheme of things to covey information (Priority on information gathering as opposed to conformance). 2) And a theory of mine that if you are "intuitive" and tend for your mind to recollect and attach on an associative basis, then its really hard to spell correctly as words don't connect, they are discrete points of information and soak up too much memory... and you can only short term recollect so much information (They can't soak into your long term memory as they are not connective to any other associated knowledge).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know if this is helpful, but I not only obsess over spelling and punctuation, I obsess over definition as well. In other words, if I'm not sure that I know exactly what a word means, I look it up first. I've even gone back and edited my posts on numerous occasions just because I thought of a better way to word something after posting. I also felt very sick to my stomach when a history teacher spoke of the the Imperial diet (pronounced dee-et), but mispronounced it as diet (dye-it). However, I didn't correct her because she was the teacher, and I felt that I didn't have the authority to do so.

In a similar vein, I once felt irritated when a friend of mine sent me a private message referring to a previous private message as an e-mail. So irritated in fact that I actually typed a description of how the forum's private messages worked, and how e-mail worked, and carefully explained why they weren't synonymous. But then I decided not to send it for fear of eliciting offense. (Although later on when I found out they weren't easily offended by such things, I went ahead and sent it.)

So, I'm probably the worst about this, for what it's worth.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I corrected a teacher on her spelling a couple of times infront of the rest of the class, needless to say she was not impressed with me. :blush:

I'm not bothered so much by bad spelling, especially in a forum, as sometimes it's more of a typo, and not that they just can't spell.

What I hate is text speak, I absolutely detest watching language bastardized to such an extent, I may use the LOL one, but I can;t do that whole "4eva" "2day" crap that I see being used by so many of the younger crowd.

I fear that just as English evolved from Olde English, it may evolve into text speak too. :cry:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What I hate is text speak, I absolutely detest watching language bastardized to such an extent, I may use the LOL one, but I can;t do that whole "4eva" "2day" crap that I see being used by so many of the younger crowd.

Sahara, you accidentally used a semicolon instead of an apostrophe in the word "can't." Just pointing that out. ;)

I fear that just as English evolved from Olde English, it may evolve into text speak too. :cry:

I share your concern. That's part of why every time someone asks me, "What's up?," I tell them that it's the opposite of down.

(Was I right to include a comma inside the quotation marks after the question mark in American English? I think I did it right, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know? It's driving me insane.)

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Sahara, you accidentally used a semicolon instead of an apostrophe in the word "can't". Just pointing that out. ;)

I do that all the time if you notice, it's when I am trying to touch type, my little finger on the right hand hits the wrong key all the time. :)

(Was I right to include a comma inside the quotation marks after the question mark? I think I did it right, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?)

I think the comma comes after the quotation marks, but don't quote me on that, my spelling is better than my punctuation.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think the comma comes after the quotation marks, but don't quote me on that, my spelling is better than my punctuation.

Actually, that's right in your case. You're British, and in Britain they place the terminating punctuation outside the quotation marks. (Which I actually think is more logical.) In America, they have rules about when you should place it inside, and when you should place it outside the quotation marks. (Confusing, isn't it?)

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually, that's right in your case. You're British, and in Britain they place the terminating punctuation outside the quotation marks. (Which I actually think is more logical.) In America, they have rules about when you should place it inside, and when you should place it outside the quotation marks. (Confusing, isn't it?)

It is, I didn't realise that even punctuation differed in America, it took me my suprise when I first found out that they spelled things differently too.

Color-Colour
Potato-Potatoe

When I was younger I just assumed Americans were richer British people. :blush:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It is, I didn't realise that even punctuation differed in America, it took me my suprise when I first found out that they spelled things differently too.

Color-Colour
Potato-Potatoe

That sort of took me by surprise as well. (I'll bet you'd all hate to have me as an English teacher, wouldn't you?)

What's even worse, I think the Canadians actually mix the British and American grammars. :eek:

I once graded another student's essay while I was in a really petty mood, and I was so exacting that I was nicknamed "The grammarian from Hades." (Guess why?)

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
That surprised me too. (I'll bet you'd all hate to have me as an English teacher, wouldn't you?)

What's even worse, I think the Canadians actually mix the British and American grammar. :eek:

I once graded another student's essay while I was in a really petty mood, and I was so exacting that I was nicknamed "The grammarian from Hades." (Guess why?)

:blush: Haha, I blame my new keyboard for all my numerous spelling mistakes around the forum lol.

I would have liked to have you as a teacher actually, I always liked the stricter ones, they got more out of me.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX

Color-Colour
Potato-Potatoe

Before I went over to Europe, I believed Europeans were like the British, just spoke different languages.

Well, Europeans are as different as their languages.

In terms of American's, they're somewhere between the two, half of America I'd say is of British descent and the other half Europeans. (Well, not exactly including all the other nationalities that arrived by force or otherwise after the initial migration!).

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
but I can;t do that whole "4eva" "2day" crap that I see being used by so many of the younger crowd.

Don't think so, it might become recognized as a minority language on the list with all the others at the social welfare collection centre. :D

We are more likely to see English roll out into Eastern Europe and in so doing a number of their words becoming incorporated into our language. However, given the huge interconnection between English speaking countries (Via the net, news and so forth) any new words will get passed around.

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
I hate making spelling and grammatical mistakes. Unfortunately, I find errors in my language quite often.

I also hate seeing them in other people's work, but usually I'll refrain from commenting on it.

I love my dictionaries and dictionary.com. I will often use one, then verify with the other. I enjoy leafing through dictionaries, both in English and in my native tongue.

I work as a receptionist at a newspaper a few hours a week to pay the bills (I'm a student) and I'm always amazed at all the errors in press releases and other assorted e-mails. Sometimes I'll find myself poised over a newspaper with a red pen, correcting as I read. When I'm alone, I'll correct the newsreader on tv and I'll get upset over typos in books.

And this is coming from a P :smile:

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ

Color-Colour
Potato-Potatoe

Try living in a country where they're not sure if they want to use British spelling or American spelling. Oy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Try living in a country where they're not sure if they want to use British spelling or American spelling. Oy.

Brytysh and Amerikan?

The comma thing inside quotes irks me. If something is in quotes, to me it should be part of the word or phrase. If it's not (i.e., if it's punctuation), it should go outside.

But the US seems backwards that way. I had to work very hard to accustom myself to that rule.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Jen, it's not at all black and white. Very gray grey. Very annoying.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
Besides being initially poor at spelling (Because of associative issues I've mentioned earlier) I am absolutely rubbish at remembering people’s names.

How can I sit beside people for months and can't recollect their names? It’s the same as spelling, I'm trying to draw that word from my mind.... and can I find it?...Nup.

Also, I get introduced to people... and their names get junked in my mind instantaneously... It’s like "boring" and binned immediately.. My brain is engaged in some other more important thought process. :D or perhaps more likely I can only retain a small amount of discrete unconnected information, names and spellings are just too much.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
This seems like one of those things MBTI would only weakly associate with, more important would be upbringing, job, etc.
Agreed. However there is a difference in misspelling and misusage of a word. As for the question, Joe Butts from typelogic.com says
Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.
From that standpoint, J/P has nothing to do with it, although the most anal I have observed are ISTJs.