• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] ENFP seeking input from INTJs

Raspberry_rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, I'm new here so I hope this is the right forum! I'm confused about my long time INTJ best friend who I have feelings for , he's being really confusing so I'd love to get some input from INTJs as to how you think about relationships.
1. Do you have standards that a potential partner MUST meet and if so what are they?
2. Can your feelings for someone change as they mature or as you get to know them more?
3. Are any of you NOT into ENFPs? (Objectively because I know type isn't everything)
4. For guys specifically, how can a girl steal your heart? ( Don't say I shouldn't want to, because I do. You're cuddly teddy bears whether you like it or not)
5. How do you show attraction?
6. Does it typically take you a long time to make up your mind about your feelings for someone?
Answer any or all of those questions, all input is appreciated :)
Other types that have dealt with INTJ relationships are welcome to share too.

aanule

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hey [MENTION=9331]freeeekyyy[/MENTION]... Is this your girl?? :D

This is a well debated topic here, so look around a bit and do some reading. enfp/intj relationships are the most common to end up in counseling, if that gives any indication. It seems to be a love/hate thing.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey [MENTION=9331]freeeekyyy[/MENTION]... Is this your girl?? :D

This is a well debated topic here, so look around a bit and do some reading. enfp/intj relationships are the most common to end up in counseling, if that gives any indication. It seems to be a love/hate thing.
Haha. I guess there's a LOT of similarities between various INTJ/ENFP pairings...

Raspberry_rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe it, gahh love/hate pretty much sums up my history with him lol.

Raspberry_rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Care to help a confused ENFP out with some insight on your situation? :)

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Care to help a confused ENFP with some insight from your situation?
In as much as I can, sure. In my case, it's me, the INTJ, who's in love. I'm pretty certain she loves me too, since she's said so before, but she's kind of fearful, in some ways. And honestly, she doesn't have the best relationship with her dad, and I think as a result, she's subconsciously seeking a man who fills his role, but is of course unaware of it.

Anyway, guess I'm rambling and getting off track. The things that attracted me to her are not things she's done, but just who she is. She's sweet, charming, intelligent, full of creative energy, beautiful inside and out, and great with people. These are all important traits, and creativity, intelligence and warmth seem to be traits ENFPs have a lot of. I can't tell you what it is that your INTJ believes you are missing, but I can tell you to not worry about it. Maybe it's even just something he hadn't thought of, to look at you romantically, and changing perceptions can take time, but anybody can do it. Stick at it. Some people need to be slowly chipped away at for a long period of time, but I think it's worth it. Everything in life worth doing takes work.

Any advice you can give to an INTJ in love?

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, I'm new here so I hope this is the right forum! I'm confused about my long time INTJ best friend who I have feelings for , he's being really confusing so I'd love to get some input from INTJs as to how you think about relationships.
1. Do you have standards that a potential partner MUST meet and if so what are they?
2. Can your feelings for someone change as they mature or as you get to know them more?
3. Are any of you NOT into ENFPs? (Objectively because I know type isn't everything)
4. For guys specifically, how can a girl steal your heart? ( Don't say I shouldn't want to, because I do. You're cuddly teddy bears whether you like it or not)
6. Does it typically take you a long time to make up your mind about your feelings for someone?
Answer any or all of those questions, all input is appreciated :)
Other types that have dealt with INTJ relationships are welcome to share too.

Hi, experienced INTJ here. Bear with me while I get my feet more comfortably into my mouth.

(shifts posture).

OK, that's better. The questions will be repeated in bold, followed by my answer.

Honesty and "genuineness" are key. Intellect is a must.
Generally, our partner's core values, or their life goals, must be a decent fit with ours (e.g. a backpacking outdoorsy ENFP would likely not last long with a chess-playing, tanned-only-by-the-computer-monitor INTJ; atheist INTJs will not put up with religious women; and similar).
We need our alone time to recharge. Not a want, but a literal need. If you insist on dragging us out to "meet your circle" be sure to have us back home by 11 PM so we can dive into a book or a computer and recover properly. ;)

Tricky question, depends on how you mean it.
INTJs are famous for leading with their Ni -- which, together with Te, causes us to take in situations or people at a glance and categorize them.
Experienced INTJs can be good at this, immature ones can be a royal pain, because they insist they're right, even after being proven wrong...
So your INTJ, *if* he reciprocates your interest, and is pursuing you, has likely plumbed your depths emotionally or socially or values-wise, to make sure you are up to snuff, and he does not foresee any deal-breakers, or anything that is likely to turn *into* a deal-breaker, either.

But -- if something comes up which was unforeseen, and it is, you know, *that* important, they may fade out (if they are tender hearted) or pull one of their infamous INTJ doorslams. (Sorry!)

I had a couple of them flirt with me online, I guess, but I'm not a good INTJ to ask, since I'm already married.

First -- be cute.

Second -- be intellectually engaging, or interesting.

(sigh) Sorry, you might not like this, but Imma spell it out.
The way to an INTJ man's heart is through his brain. There are two ways to do this.

One is to be a brainiac yourself: if you are an expert on something the INTJ does not know, but still respects, you are granted "honorary human" status. :dry:

Another way is *sincere* interest in something the INTJ knows about -- INTJs have great BS detectors and can tell if you're faking it.
If you don't know about his topic, sure, go ahead and ask: but ask *intelligent* open ended questions, showing that you are trying to build your own take on things even while he's busy explaining to you.

The other way -- and this is by far the best for initial attraction -- is to use Ne to do seemingly-random subject changes -- think of one of those pieces of origami where the paper is folded into impossible shapes, each part of the shape is connected to the next by sharing an edge along a fold of the paper.

Your subjects should be like that -- something where you have to take a step back and look at the big picture, or the abstract, or word-puns, to see the jump to the next topic. INTJs will follow this around like a cat chasing a laser pointer -- your fellow NFPs, that is, the INFPs, tend to excel at this.

Loyalty is key too: the INTJ likes their alone time, but they can be like a cat sulking: just because your INTJ has stalked off into a corner and is busy kneading the sofa cushions with his hands (err, typing on a computer, that is...), that DOESN'T mean he doesn't want to see or hear from you.
He wants to know you're still thinking of him, he just doesn't want to have his train of thought interrupted for too long while you tell him. :wtf:

INTJs usually show attraction through (think love languages) "acts of service".

If an INTJ has the hots for you, you will find that they love to find ways to make your life easier...but if you're not already dating them, your INTJ will go to great lengths, to *disguise* his acts of service for you, either by doing the same thing for everyone within 12 square miles of you, but making yours just a *little* nicer, or by saying "it was something they were doing anyway, and they happened to notice that you...would you be able to use this?"

Seemingly forever, while we're in data-gathering mode about you. But once we've decided you're a possible romantic options...
well, INTJs are notorious pessimists. We're scared of confirming our worst fears by asking you out.
So it's not unusual for an INTJ to carry a torch for a girl for up to two or three years, but never make a move.

BUT -- should the unthinkable happen, and you somehow begin dating?

The INTJ can make up their mind about "LTR-->scope for marriage" in just a couple of months.
(Good luck peeling them off if you don't like them: they tend to be like superglue. Unfortunately, the only way to drive off an infatuated INTJ is to hurt them: by being obvious that you are permanently with someone else, and that the INTJ doesn't have a prayer even if they are the last man on earth.

If you *do* try this approach, be sure to avoid all the haunts the INTJ hangs out at -- or be prepared to face remorseful, sad-angry robot eyes capable of burning a hole through the door of a bank vault, locked on you for up to six months after the breakup.)

The best way to approach an INTJ is to establish yourself as a friendly presence; if they turn around and talk to you when they're on the computer, you are at *least* tolerated, likely a friend; possibly a romantic interest. (That last is confirmed if they randomly saunter by where you hang out, and attempt sarcastic conversations, or offer food, drink, or help.)

After they INTJ is used to you, and you have confirmed positive vibes from them, either a direct question "Would you hypothetically be open to the possibility of going on a date with me?"

The INTJ will give you a surprised "Yes" or go all thoughtful. Thoughtful *might* be the INTJ figuring out how to let you down gently, or it might be the INTJ panicking, as an actual girl asking *him* out is clearly too good to be true, there must be some mistake. :thinking:

If he hems and haws, like he's embarrassed, or thinks it can't really be happening, light physical contact (touch on the arm, or lean over and kiss his nose) and saying, "So it's a date, then, meet you at XXX place at YYY o'clock" ought to seal the deal. Be prepared for at least one questioning text between the kiss and the time of the meet-up. :cheese:

Good luck!

Raspberry_rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In as much as I can, sure. In my case, it's me, the INTJ, who's in love. I'm pretty certain she loves me too, since she's said so before, but she's kind of fearful, in some ways. And honestly, she doesn't have the best relationship with her dad, and I think as a result, she's subconsciously seeking a man who fills his role, but is of course unaware of it.

Anyway, guess I'm rambling and getting off track. The things that attracted me to her are not things she's done, but just who she is. She's sweet, charming, intelligent, full of creative energy, beautiful inside and out, and great with people. These are all important traits, and creativity, intelligence and warmth seem to be traits ENFPs have a lot of. I can't tell you what it is that your INTJ believes you are missing, but I can tell you to not worry about it. Maybe it's even just something he hadn't thought of, to look at you romantically, and changing perceptions can take time, but anybody can do it. Stick at it. Some people need to be slowly chipped away at for a long period of time, but I think it's worth it. Everything in life worth doing takes work.

Any advice you can give to an INTJ in love?

Thank you for the encouragement, it's reassuring coming from an INTJ! As far as your situation, I hope it all works out for you :) Some things I can recommend as an ENFP (somewhat fearful myself where relationships are concerned) would be to make sure she knows she can trust you. ENFPs are like wild animals backed into a corner when we don't think we can trust someone. We panic and if she already has fear issues because of her past that panic will be even stronger, it's nothing personal. The best thing for you to do is show her that you genuinely care about her as a person (which it seems you definitely do) by being patient with her fears, be straightforward about your feelings but don't pressure her into a relationship. Enjoy your friendship with her and let her know you aren't going anywhere regardless of her readiness for a relationship. Loyalty and understanding will get you everywhere, especially if she already loves you.

Raspberry_rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi, experienced INTJ here. Bear with me while I get my feet more comfortably into my mouth.

(shifts posture).

OK, that's better. The questions will be repeated in bold, followed by my answer.

Honesty and "genuineness" are key. Intellect is a must.
Generally, our partner's core values, or their life goals, must be a decent fit with ours (e.g. a backpacking outdoorsy ENFP would likely not last long with a chess-playing, tanned-only-by-the-computer-monitor INTJ; atheist INTJs will not put up with religious women; and similar).
We need our alone time to recharge. Not a want, but a literal need. If you insist on dragging us out to "meet your circle" be sure to have us back home by 11 PM so we can dive into a book or a computer and recover properly. ;)

Tricky question, depends on how you mean it.
INTJs are famous for leading with their Ni -- which, together with Te, causes us to take in situations or people at a glance and categorize them.
Experienced INTJs can be good at this, immature ones can be a royal pain, because they insist they're right, even after being proven wrong...
So your INTJ, *if* he reciprocates your interest, and is pursuing you, has likely plumbed your depths emotionally or socially or values-wise, to make sure you are up to snuff, and he does not foresee any deal-breakers, or anything that is likely to turn *into* a deal-breaker, either.

But -- if something comes up which was unforeseen, and it is, you know, *that* important, they may fade out (if they are tender hearted) or pull one of their infamous INTJ doorslams. (Sorry!)

I had a couple of them flirt with me online, I guess, but I'm not a good INTJ to ask, since I'm already married.

First -- be cute.

The way to an INTJ man's heart is through his brain. There are two ways to do this.

One is to be a brainiac yourself: if you are an expert on something the INTJ does not know, but still respects, you are granted "honorary human" status. :dry:

Another way is *sincere* interest in something the INTJ knows about -- INTJs have great BS detectors and can tell if you're faking it.
If you don't know about his topic, sure, go ahead and ask: but ask *intelligent* open ended questions, showing that you are trying to build your own take on things even while he's busy explaining to you.

The other way -- and this is by far the best for initial attraction -- is to use Ne to do seemingly-random subject changes -- think of one of those pieces of origami where the paper is folded into impossible shapes, each part of the shape is connected to the next by sharing an edge along a fold of the paper.

Your subjects should be like that -- something where you have to take a step back and look at the big picture, or the abstract, or word-puns, to see the jump to the next topic. INTJs will follow this around like a cat chasing a laser pointer -- your fellow NFPs, that is, the INFPs, tend to excel at this.

Loyalty is key too: the INTJ likes their alone time, but they can be like a cat sulking: just because your INTJ has stalked off into a corner and is busy kneading the sofa cushions with his hands (err, typing on a computer, that is...), that DOESN'T mean he doesn't want to see or hear from you.
He wants to know you're still thinking of him, he just doesn't want to have his train of thought interrupted for too long while you tell him. :wtf:

INTJs usually show attraction through (think love languages) "acts of service".

If an INTJ has the hots for you, you will find that they love to find ways to make your life easier...but if you're not already dating them, your INTJ will go to great lengths, to *disguise* his acts of service for you, either by doing the same thing for everyone within 12 square miles of you, but making yours just a *little* nicer, or by saying "it was something they were doing anyway, and they happened to notice that you...would you be able to use this?"

Seemingly forever, while we're in data-gathering mode about you. But once we've decided you're a possible romantic options...
well, INTJs are notorious pessimists. We're scared of confirming our worst fears by asking you out.
So it's not unusual for an INTJ to carry a torch for a girl for up to two or three years, but never make a move.

BUT -- should the unthinkable happen, and you somehow begin dating?

The INTJ can make up their mind about "LTR-->scope for marriage" in just a couple of months.
(Good luck peeling them off if you don't like them: they tend to be like superglue. Unfortunately, the only way to drive off an infatuated INTJ is to hurt them: by being obvious that you are permanently with someone else, and that the INTJ doesn't have a prayer even if they are the last man on earth.

If you *do* try this approach, be sure to avoid all the haunts the INTJ hangs out at -- or be prepared to face remorseful, sad-angry robot eyes capable of burning a hole through the door of a bank vault, locked on you for up to six months after the breakup.)

The best way to approach an INTJ is to establish yourself as a friendly presence; if they turn around and talk to you when they're on the computer, you are at *least* tolerated, likely a friend; possibly a romantic interest. (That last is confirmed if they randomly saunter by where you hang out, and attempt sarcastic conversations, or offer food, drink, or help.)

After they INTJ is used to you, and you have confirmed positive vibes from them, either a direct question "Would you hypothetically be open to the possibility of going on a date with me?"

The INTJ will give you a surprised "Yes" or go all thoughtful. Thoughtful *might* be the INTJ figuring out how to let you down gently, or it might be the INTJ panicking, as an actual girl asking *him* out is clearly too good to be true, there must be some mistake. :thinking:

If he hems and haws, like he's embarrassed, or thinks it can't really be happening, light physical contact (touch on the arm, or lean over and kiss his nose) and saying, "So it's a date, then, meet you at XXX place at YYY o'clock" ought to seal the deal. Be prepared for at least one questioning text between the kiss and the time of the meet-up. :cheese:

Good luck!

Thank you soooo so much! This was incredibly insightful and helpful! What personality type is your wife out of curiosity?

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you soooo so much! This was incredibly insightful and helpful! What personality type is your wife out of curiosity?

ISFJ. Life is quite unexpected, the way it turns out, sometimes. :shock:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't tell you what it is that your INTJ believes you are missing, but I can tell you to not worry about it. Maybe it's even just something he hadn't thought of, to look at you romantically, and changing perceptions can take time, but anybody can do it. Stick at it. Some people need to be slowly chipped away at for a long period of time, but I think it's worth it. Everything in life worth doing takes work.
I suspect the "missing thing" is something the INTJ lacks rather than Raspberry, he just doesn't realize it. Something like his readiness to take the next step in a relationship, or his willingness to give her that extra bit of trust. He will find it before long if they continue as they are.

Grey_beard's advice is good. I will add a few more comments.

Yes, compatible values are a must, but compatible lifestyle also. This covers social life, where and how you live, how you would manage a family if you had one, etc. Also, a partner must be able and willing to reason through situations, even if it takes a bit of prodding or handholding now and then and is not their natural or first reaction.

Yes. Some of my best (platonic) friends are people I initially took a dislike to, and my longtime SO is someone I regarded as boring and of little interest for the first couple of years we knew each other. I long ago learned not to trust my first impressions, or at least to look beyond them.

I have no experience of them as romantic partners. As friends they have been fun, exciting, stimulating, and unfortunately unreliable in the extreme.

Applies to all INTJs.

Acts of service, often, but also quality time. I won't spend any of my free time on someone if I don't care about them.

Not always, but it takes me a very long time to trust those feelings and to be willing to act on them.

A corollary to this is that all of my romantic partners have started off as friends or classmates/coworkers first. I always had a chance to get to know them in a "natural" setting where dating wasn't the object.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

The ENFP must not be autodestructive is number one. They must accept that I am very thicked person (even by INTJ standards), that we need to share interests and have a similar vision how things should work. Everything else are basically details.

I would say yes. (but I would not place any bets on this)

I seem to have obvious Te-Fi conflict with ENFPs and that makes it hard to build something since too much energy is required. (that is how it seems)

It never happned so it is a specualtion, but I would say "Just be nice and don't make drama".
This would be enough for me feel desired since women tend not do give me even that.

Asking questions. Personal or not so personal.
Once communication flows I will suggest what should we do next.

Define long ?
I dare to say that if the person is normal that after a few hours I can be pretty sure where this should lead.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Here's a novel idea. That nice list you made in the OP, just re-frame it and actually ask your INTJ friend what he wants. Be upfront and honest. That simple. Because asking people on here isn't going to clarify things for you. Each person wants different things. So asking one individual their opinion is going to give you their conception of what's appropriate, and will not get you any closer to the thought process of your friend.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Just grab him and kiss him. Tired of this romance crap, just kiss him and be done with it. Do something spontaneous and knock his socks off lol...