• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP - The Critic?

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I've seen many web articles describing the INTP as the 'Architect'. Sometimes, the 'Thinker'.

I find 'Architect' to be inaccurate. If that meant a literal Architect, then that doesn't make a good fit. Too much sensory skills needed, and the thinking function that's required is more Te than Ti.

Do you think Critic is more accurate?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Nah. I haven't in a while, but I used to draw schematics for fun, designing structures and objects.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The socionics INTp is referred to as "The Critic." But socionics INTp is correlated with INTJ.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Architect implies building.. which seems more Ti.

Critiquing/Cricticising is more Te.. working with what already exists.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The socionics INTp is referred to as "The Critic." But socionics INTp is correlated with INTJ.
Well I'm INTP and INTp (Though as far as their descriptions go, half INTp half INTj), and last I checked they called INTp "Observers."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ti is the internal analysis of ideas or data.

Te is the active structuring and controlling of the external world.

Well I'm INTP and INTp (Though as far as their descriptions go, half INTp half INTj), and last I checked they called INTp "Observers."

Oh damn, you are right. Yes, the INTj is either called "The Critic" or "The Analyst" and the INTp is "The Observer."

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've seen many web articles describing the INTP as the 'Architect'. Sometimes, the 'Thinker'.

I find 'Architect' to be inaccurate. If that meant a literal Architect, then that doesn't make a good fit. Too much sensory skills needed, and the thinking function that's required is more Te than Ti.

Do you think Critic is more accurate?

Ti is the nitpicking function. Yes, definitely.

I think architect was meant in the sense of systems rather than real things, and it isn't that good a description, because they don't so much "build" systems as uncover systems through critical analysis, if I understand Ti correctly (which I may not).

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
INTP - The Layabout/Genius.

Seriously speaking, INTPs are exceptional with any kind of architecture (technical, systems, data, etcetera).

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
My father told me that INTP is the 'definer'.

If you look at most "arguements" with INTPs involved it's a common habit to try to define things correctly. Sort of ensuring the basis for conversation is correct before engaging in the actual subject being discussed.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

All people sense, intuitors included, and Te and Ti are the same mechanism.

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Hmmm....

In my opinion:

Analysis - Ti (deconstructor). Yeah, the nitpicking function.

Synthesis - Te

In my opinion, INTPs could be better critics than the TJ because of the former's flexible P function which needs to be adaptive in criticizing various forms of art (film, etc.) or system. Not everything should be judged the same.

TJs tend to apply a universal objective elaborate guideline to everything.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
INTP - The Pigeon Breeder

As supposed to "the nice guy from next door with that twitching eyebrow"

xDD

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm gonna point out that Ti is certainly about precision, but it's also about The Truth in the largest sense of the word. The pursuit of this Truth generally involves the intellectual building of complex models and algorithms to encompass and express said vast idea. Indeed, the model needed to complete the logical processing and honing can (and usually does) end up being more complicated than the idea itself. Ti Ne used appropriately is about distilling concepts out of the ether, purifying and testing them intellectually, then deriving more knowledge from them. It can be used as a knife, slicing up flawed arguments and propositions, but is primarily used in creation and (where critique comes in) distillation.

MBTI Type
INxJ
INTP - The Pigeon Breeder

As supposed to "the nice guy from next door with that twitching eyebrow"

xDD

ha ha ha

One of my closest friends is an INTP. Sometimes, we do a group chat with some of our mutual friends and she picks on their grammar. I notice, but don't bother saying anything because it's not something the people being corrected will realistically change. Why bother? My friend doesn't care though. Wrong is wrong, to her.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm gonna point out that Ti is certainly about precision, but it's also about The Truth in the largest sense of the word. The pursuit of this Truth generally involves the intellectual building of complex models and algorithms to encompass and express said vast idea. Indeed, the model needed to complete the logical processing and honing can (and usually does) end up being more complicated than the idea itself. Ti Ne used appropriately is about distilling concepts out of the ether, purifying and testing them intellectually, then deriving more knowledge from them. It can be used as a knife, slicing up flawed arguments and propositions, but is primarily used in creation and (where critique comes in) distillation.
Nice definition... *cough*