• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Typing this person: NT or SJ?

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm not sure how to type this friend of mine. He's an IXTJ I'm pretty sure, just not positive if that X should be an N or an S.

His hobbies seem NT-ish on the whole: computer games, pen and paper RPGs, paintball, fencing, Star Wars, reading science fiction of all kinds. He's also into car tuning and racing. Professionally, he's a computer programmer. Sounds like an NT, right?

On the other hand, abstract kinds of ideas don't appear to engross him nearly as much as they do me. I mean things like psychology, philosophy, MBTI, discussing random hypothetical situations, etc. He'll talk about these kinds of things when I bring them up, but his mind seems to pull more towards the concrete, while I'll continue in an abstract vein indefinitely. Does this sound more like an SJ?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
His hobbies seem NT-ish on the whole: computer games, pen and paper RPGs, paintball, fencing, Star Wars, reading science fiction of all kinds. He's also into car tuning and racing. Professionally, he's a computer programmer. Sounds like an NT, right?
No. Could easily be NT, as well as INFP, ISTP, ISTJ.

Based on your entire post, I'd put money on ISTP or ISTJ, can't tell which.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Typing other people is hard.

I was having a conversation with my friend last night (IRL), and I recall thinking, "He has no way to tell that I'm Fi dom," because my extraverted functions (Ne, Te) are typically most apparent in the presence of most others.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJ males often are into the stuff you attributed to NT. They just tend to approach the topics a little different in how they evaluate/indulge.

He sounds more ISTJ to me, but honestly, there's not a lot of data here to triangulate with.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
ISTJ males often are into the stuff you attributed to NT. They just tend to approach the topics a little different in how they evaluate/indulge.

He sounds more ISTJ to me, but honestly, there's not a lot of data here to triangulate with.

What kind of data is more relevant?

I'm just curious. It doesn't really matter that I know which type he is.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could go either way. The real kicker, IMO, is how he handles strategy. Ask him about his games and why he plays them and what he gets out of them.

The only "NT-ish" item in the list IMO is the science fiction. I can see any IxTx type doing the rest of them, although even sci-fi I've seen capture the attention of at least one ISTP. They might not be as interested in the theoretical situations and alternate realities posed by sci-fi material though.

Usehername

On a mission
Not enough info for us to determine, but another thing to consider is that he's an InTJ with very low N and is not as abstract-interested as you are.

I always try to see what motivates people more with the temperament sorter. Does he get more stressed when perceived as not competent at something, or when he has to buck protocol for a reason that isn't perfectly clear etc. etc.?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What kind of data is more relevant?

I'm just curious. It doesn't really matter that I know which type he is.

okay. Just to answer your question, though, when you say something like this:
On the other hand, abstract kinds of ideas don't appear to engross him nearly as much as they do me. I mean things like psychology, philosophy, MBTI, discussing random hypothetical situations, etc. He'll talk about these kinds of things when I bring them up, but his mind seems to pull more towards the concrete, while I'll continue in an abstract vein indefinitely. Does this sound more like an SJ?

You sort of consolidated the data and answered your own question. (i.e., "He seems more interested in the concrete. Do you think he is an SJ?") How can anyone add to your assessment? We can't.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
You sort of consolidated the data and answered your own question. (i.e., "He seems more interested in the concrete. Do you think he is an SJ?") How can anyone add to your assessment? We can't.
She naturally had what she saw as NT in one hand and what she saw as SJ in the other. Since the NT hand wasn't specifically NT, I hope the SJ hand feels heavier now.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Could go either way. The real kicker, IMO, is how he handles strategy.

I would say has a very strategic, orderly, logical kind of mind. He is quick to spot fallacies in arguments and good at condensing and summarizing my long winded speeches :D. In assessing situations (concrete ones mostly, but also abstract) he keeps all kinds of possibilities in view-- open minded in that sense.

Not enough info for us to determine, but another thing to consider is that he's an InTJ with very low N and is not as abstract-interested as you are.
Yeah, I had thought of this. It could well be.

She naturally had what she saw as NT in one hand and what she saw as SJ in the other. Since the NT hand wasn't specifically NT, I hope the SJ hand feels heavier now.
Pretty much. I had this notion that computer science major = NT. :) So my SJ hand is more specifically SJ than my NT hand is NT?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It's S, and you said you were pretty sure about J.

Why don't you secretly video record a conversation with him, that would make it easy. Or look at known samples and compare (Famous people if you're new to this).

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ

lol, I guess I did do that. I'm just not sure what specifically would be pertinent data to provide.

Perseus

MBTI Type
INTP
Really? I wouldn't have thought extrovert for sure. He's pretty quiet and reserved, in general.

Is he a dogmatic ISTJ (pretending to be open-minded) or a XSTJ ? Computer programmers can be tactical rather than strategic.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure how to type this friend of mine. He's an IXTJ I'm pretty sure, just not positive if that X should be an N or an S.

He sounds like an ISTJ to me. I've known plenty of S's that are into computers, sci-fi, and stuff like that. If he is turned off by the hypothetical then I doubt he's INTJ.

Also INTJ's often seem like they are plotting something. Even if they are not malevolent in the slightest, I think people sometimes mistrust them because of the compulsive planning and trying to anticipate the future. If this doesn't sound like your friend then I doubt he's INTJ. From your post he sounds like a bright ISTJ.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
It sounds more like SJ.

I enjoy philosophy, "random hypothetical situations" and other NT-ish stuff - but not discussing them aloud. I prefer to ponder them in my head. I tend to systematize and internalize different viewpoints rather than argue them out loud like a INTJ does. I tend to incorporate hypothetical ideas into my worldview, think about them for awhile, and then form an opinion. I usually give my only opinion when asked (unless I know you really well - then you can't shut me up). So if he doesn't engage your ideas like another NT would, I'm guessing he's an SJ. Sounds a lot like me.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
It sounds more like SJ.

He sounds like an ISTJ to me.

Well, this appears to be the general consensus. :) ISTJ. Interesting. Thanks everyone for your help! If more people read this and have other questions or ideas, I shall continue to read with interest. :)

Is he a dogmatic ISTJ (pretending to be open-minded) or a XSTJ ?
Umm, I don't know that I'd be able to tell (or even understand) the difference between pretending to be open minded and actually being so. :thinking: For one thing, "open mindedness" is such a vague, highly subjective thing to measure, and for another, pretending to have a particular trait means that at least you see the value in using it and you do so-- is there such a big difference between this and "really" having said trait?

But I digress. Not trying to nit pick here, but this is something I have wondered about recently.

Wrath Mania

MBTI Type
ENTP
To me there are two common forms of ISTJs. One is an ISTJ who is moderately introverted and comes off as a traditional, um, traditionalist. The other appears to be a much stronger Introvert (In function mechanics they'd probably have strong Introverted Sensing) to a point where they almost seem to extravert intuition. George Lucas, for instance, fits this profile. Someone who seems very creative and brilliant with technical wizardry, but in many ways seems more like an engineer than a visionary.

So I'd say ISTJ.