• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Do INTPs enjoy messing with people?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
And seeing their reactions? This is one of the main things for me, I love doing this. I love arguing with people and debating with them. But at the same time I believe I am an introvert. The ISTP profile didn't really fit because the last thing I do is live in the moment, and I think that I have Si. So my question is, is it common for INTPs to want to argue in the real world in real time?

laurapants08

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't ever want to argue, yet I've been told I like to argue, which normally turns into an arguement.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
And seeing their reactions? This is one of the main things for me, I love doing this. I love arguing with people and debating with them. But at the same time I believe I am an introvert. The ISTP profile didn't really fit because the last thing I do is live in the moment, and I think that I have Si. So my question is, is it common for INTPs to want to argue in the real world in real time?

That's an ENTP trait.

For me, and this pretty much explains my indecisiveness, I argue internally. Sometimes I'll fall out with myself.

laurapants08

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
That's an ENTP trait

For me, and this pretty much explains my indecisiveness, I argue internally. Sometimes I'll fall out with myself.

Internal arguement.... Ahhhhh I under looked the question.

Now internal arguements I'm guilty of, all jokes aside

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really like real interpersonal conflict much, but I will lob some balls into a discussion just to see HOW someone responds... not just the content, but how the content is delivered, what their assumptions are, etc. (It's kind of like testing the boundaries of the argument for weaknesses, tap-tapping away.) So I guess I am guilty in that regard. Test, test, test... I want to know where someone is coming from, but often they don't reveal that until you change up the conversation or come at them from an unexpected angle.

I think for Ti people there's a focus directly on the ideas (versus all the interpersonal stuff, until you've been bitten in the butt by it enough and are aware of it and realize the impact... some choose to not care anyway, some choose to avoid going there to save themselves grief), so they can come off as "argumentative" because they're just "testing the ideas" whereas for others, they are more focused on all the other aspects of the conversation and what is appropriate or considerate versus not.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Seems like it would depend on the INTP. The INTPs I know like playing devil's advocate, but that's not "messing with people" necessarily.

My INTP roommate told me the other day that she has literally made herself cry, during hypothetical arguments in her own head.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My INTP roommate told me the other day that she has literally made herself cry, during hypothetical arguments in her own head.

Breaking up [with oneself] is hard to do.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't ever want to argue, yet I've been told I like to argue, which normally turns into an arguement.

The initial "C" in my nick stands for Contentious. Contentious Jeopardy Woolf is one of my names my wife calls me. 'Nuff said.

Breaking up [with oneself] is hard to do.

Some people would be better off if if they did!

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah I tend to tear myself apart with internal arguments, but I also tear other people up with external arguments. I am hard on other people in my real life, but I would never be harder on them than I am on myself. Is it possible to be an introverted ENTP... I know not really but still...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really like real interpersonal conflict much, but I will lob some balls into a discussion just to see HOW someone responds... not just the content, but how the content is delivered, what their assumptions are, etc. (It's kind of like testing the boundaries of the argument for weaknesses, tap-tapping away.) So I guess I am guilty in that regard. Test, test, test... I want to know where someone is coming from, but often they don't reveal that until you change up the conversation or come at them from an unexpected angle.

I think for Ti people there's a focus directly on the ideas (versus all the interpersonal stuff, until you've been bitten in the butt by it enough and are aware of it and realize the impact... some choose to not care anyway, some choose to avoid going there to save themselves grief), so they can come off as "argumentative" because they're just "testing the ideas" whereas for others, they are more focused on all the other aspects of the conversation and what is appropriate or considerate versus not.

I would say that I don't seek out conflict in most cases, but I am loathe to filter myself, and this is what causes problems for me. I understand that it's expected to keep silent, and yet, I consider that to be almost immoral, so I find it difficult to do. I have learned to do this for expediency in work environments, but in other contexts, I am reluctant to hold things back. Perhaps that's a failing, but I feel that I'm not doing family members a service by shielding them from the root of their problems. For instance, if someone is complaining incessantly about how helpless they are because of back pain, but they were ignoring advice by their physical therapist to do exercise, I'm going to tell them to listen to their therapist. Coddling them won't help them feel any better in the long run.

Sometimes, I suppose, I do get confrontational with people if I can see that they are full of shit, and everyone else seems to be taken in by the illusion. I truly have a hard time seeing why I should just let that go in a social setting. I'll shut my mouth to keep my job, but in social environments, that's a different matter. I almost consider it distasteful to pretend as though the way someone is acting isn't bothering me immensely.

When I see someone that I think is full of shit, I will test them, to see if my suspicions are right. If this is confirmed, then it's hard for me to just let things slide, especially if they're flinging their garbage in my direction (which is usually the case).

I suppose I also get into trouble because if I am accused of something, I'm not going to accept someone's accusations if they don't make any sense. If I am guilty, you should be able to tell me what I am guilty of. If it's "not about morality" then you should be able to explain what problems I've been causing and how I can prevent them. Expecting me to just "figure it out" through contemplation isn't going to work. You have to articulate yourself; I am not perfect, but not all criticisms have merit. I am not going to feel guilty or penitent over baseless bullshit. This is something that, I suppose, can be seen as argumentative, because it's not respectful of "authoritah."

I don't set out to make uncomfortable or do it just for the sport. On rare occasions where I do so deliberately, it's because I perceive (and I've gotten better at perceiving this correctly) that someone's being screwing with me. This may or may not be the proper way to go about things. The other times I've been "argumentative" have either come from a place of trying to provide people with advice so that they can stop wallowing in despair, or because I don't accept the proposition that all ideas and criticisms have merit.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on type profiles and various interactions with INTPs, there is an underlying motivation of the INTP to engage in games. For some this can translate into interpersonal games as easily as video games. The logic of strategy can hold interest for the INTP, so that can be their interface socially.

Conflict avoidance is typically another INTP trait based on descriptions and specific individuals that come to mind. These traits apply differently in various INTP contexts. I suspect that the more socially conflict oriented INTPs are so internally detached that it doesn't feel like conflict in the same way it does to others. It's still a game to them, but can appear like aggression externally.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah I sometimes deliberately set out to mess with people, not really sure whats wrong with me and I probably shouldn't, but for some reason it gives me great joy to see someone squirm. That sounds evil... But eh what can I say its the truth.

But yeah I will be especially beligerant if the person who I am talking to is full of shit. Well no, if I judge them to be not all that bright or just really niave, then usually I will leave them alone. If they think that they are right without considering any other possibilities, and especially if they are in a position of authority, then I can get quite stubborn in proving them an idiot. I try not to mess with people who are weaker, I usually pick on someone my own size or stronger.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Frosty6226 said:
But yeah I will be especially beligerant if the person who I am talking to is full of shit. Well no, if I judge them to be not all that bright or just really niave, then usually I will leave them alone. If they think that they are right without considering any other possibilities, and especially if they are in a position of authority, then I can get quite stubborn in proving them an idiot. I try not to mess with people who are weaker, I usually pick on someone my own size or stronger.

How do you know that you are the one who is correct? What if they're right, and you're wrong? Do you have a method for determining that?

I test them. I see if they make attempts to hold themselves to the same standard they are holding everyone else to, or try to reconcile their inconsistencies. (Actually, I'm content with them merely being honest about their inconsistencies.) Can they withstand the scrutiny they are constantly bestowing upon others? Or are they trying to hide themselves; do they resent the mere act of inquiry as an egregious offense? Do they accept good faith efforts to engage with them, or do they reject them? Are they taking others to task for something they've been guilty of in the past and don't want to face up to? Are they projecting their own anxieties about their situation on to others as an excuse for not dealing with it more directly?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well it usually is just when someone makes up a stupid rule or something. Like I had a teacher tell me that because I was criticising female circumcision I was being close-minded and ethnocentric. I argued back that just mirroring back what he expected me to was more closed- minded than anything. Anyways I more disagree not with any one idea, but more with when someone presents their idea as the only reasonable or moral possibility.

I generally argue for four reasons

1) Im bored

2) I legitimately disagree with the person

3) Everyone else is taking someones claim at face value, and I feel obligated to represent the opposing side

4) to further my own understanding of a topic, see the opposing sides argument more clearly.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well it usually is just when someone makes up a stupid rule or something. Like I had a teacher tell me that because I was criticising female circumcision I was being close-minded and ethnocentric. I argued back that just mirroring back what he expected me to was more closed- minded than anything. Anyways I more disagree not with any one idea, but more with when someone presents their idea as the only reasonable or moral possibility.

I generally argue for four reasons

1) Im bored

2) I legitimately disagree with the person

3) Everyone else is taking someones claim at face value, and I feel obligated to represent the opposing side

4) to further my own understanding of a topic, see the opposing sides argument more clearly.

Ha, I'd say that I agree with 2, 3, and 4, although I wouldn't call that argumentative. I'd be careful with 1, though. You can make enemies doing all of them, but if you're going to make enemies, one should have a good reason.

You should ask your teacher if he thinks that some Christians are right to oppose the teaching of evolution. After all, with moral relativism, who are we to judge?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I think you may be ENTP instead of INTP. However, INTP's aren't likely to mess around with people. I guess it depends on the individual. My cognitive function aren't suited for doing behavior like ENTP does.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hes annoying as all hell, but I see him today so I probably will end up arguing with him, there is something about him that just sets me off. So I'll make that part of my argument today.

And yeah, arguing for fun has gotten me into trouble before, but it pretty much a compulsion. Now I try to argue with people Ill never see again, or people who know me enough to know that nothing I say is personally directed at them.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't go out of my way to cause conflict, but when someone is obviously spouting bullshit to get a reaction/spread lies, I do like to mess with them. You may have seen a bit of that from me already towards some people I couldn't care to mention right now.

I used to blog my views on a range of stuff to start debates etc but nobody wanted to play with me... :(

BluRoses

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I am not an INTP, but I think that this is generally something that INTP's are certainly perceived by others as doing. They are very analytical and exact in their discussions with others and I think to people who are not used to this, it can seem like they are argumentative.

This is something that I love and is also a source of annoyance for me with my INTP. I playfully call him "Mr. Smug" and "Smart Ass," because he is always right and wins 99% of our discussions.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
In my case, yes.

I grow bored of the common perception and the lack of thinking. I relate it to an extrovert needing someone to talk to, I need someone to think with. Sometimes this means starting an argument.

As for "messing with people", lots of energy has been spent trying to lay out some of my thinking in ways which convinces the other person that my thinking is worth considering to no avail. That was my younger man tactic, full of energy and fervour. These days I appreciate more the approach of goading someone into revealing some weakness in their thinking and then showing it to them so that they may reconsider their thoughts. Even if they still disagree with me at least they're thinking and who knows, maybe they discover something that I can consider too.