• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Do INTPs enjoy messing with people?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yep, but if you are able to give a proper rationale, then it depends on the other persons level of intelligence whether or not it turns into a debate.

But then what will you do if i do this: "Chocolate ice cream tastes the best" and then give you this proof; "chocolate is the way to go as over one-quarter (28%) say it is one of their two favorite ice cream flavors followed by vanilla (26%) and cookie dough/cookies and cream (22%). These are some of the results of The Harris Poll of 2,183 adults surveyed online between July 11 and 18, 2011 by Harris Interactive." ? :D

There's the counterargument that "they must have not surveyed the right people/right amount of people. If they did they'd find out mint chip is the most popular" etc :D people say anything to try and counter evidence...

Occam's Chainsaw

I bitched at a waiter once that no coke was not acceptable, I asked for a pepsi and the customer is always right. She was not amused. Not that proud of that one though, it was kind of obvious and not that inspired.

"Coke, please"
"Will Pepsi do, sir?"
"That depends: Can I pay with monopoly money?"

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's the counterargument that "they must have not surveyed the right people/right amount of people. If they did they'd find out mint chip is the most popular" etc :D people say anything to try and counter evidence...

It doesent disprove the argument, it just puts the evidence into question. However im sure that there is more evidence supporting the fact that chocolate is the best, also there is no evidence supporting your hypothesis that they did not survey enough or right people. Now what if i would come up with more evidence of this?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It doesent disprove the argument, it just puts the evidence into question. However im sure that there is more evidence supporting the fact that chocolate is the best, also there is no evidence supporting your hypothesis that they did not survey enough or right people. Now what if i would come up with more evidence of this?

You would probably need to do a census of everybody and document their favorite flavor of icecream. If you play your cards right you may be able to analyze statistics provided in a sample and then estimate a proportion of a parameter of the popularion against your sample. But if you want a real definative answer you would probably have to resont to a census of the earths population, even with this you would probably come into problems with people comparing results against cultures, ages, timeframe ect.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You would probably need to do a census of everybody and document their favorite flavor of icecream. If you play your cards right you may be able to analyze statistics provided in a sample and then estimate a proportion of a parameter of the popularion against your sample. But if you want a real definative answer you would probably have to resont to a census of the earths population, even with this you would probably come into problems with people comparing results against cultures, ages, timeframe ect.

Muah, the answer to my argument is that it depends on the person which flavour tastes the best. Statistical analysis cannot be applied here to determine which flavour tastes the best, as taste is a personal thing. However the statistical analysis can tell you which flavour sells the best or which flavour is most liked by average.

Not nice to see INTPs fail at arguing against this sort of so obviously flawed argument :(

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Muah, the answer to my argument is that it depends on the person which flavour tastes the best. Statistical analysis cannot be applied here to determine which flavour tastes the best, as taste is a personal thing. However the statistical analysis can tell you which flavour sells the best or which flavour is most liked by average.

Not nice to see INTPs fail at arguing against this sort of so obviously flawed argument :(

Hmm well, I suppose that everyone is going to have preferences. What needs to be done is to extrapolate the reasons why someone prefers a certain flavor of icecream. After they have given you their argument or opinion you then counter it by dragging out information either learned, researched, or intuited and presenting it in an objective fashion. If the person still has objections, use the socratic method to break them down and reintroduce the idea that vanilla ice cream is the best.

Alternatively, you could just listen to their reasoning for their choice. Data thrown at a subjective, personal, opinion, generally is not trying to understand though, it would be used to change the opinion instead. Opinions stated as facts are what need to be dessimated, not generally opinions for the sake of opinions.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And seeing their reactions? This is one of the main things for me, I love doing this. I love arguing with people and debating with them. But at the same time I believe I am an introvert. The ISTP profile didn't really fit because the last thing I do is live in the moment, and I think that I have Si. So my question is, is it common for INTPs to want to argue in the real world in real time?

Please define 'messing'

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm well, I suppose that everyone is going to have preferences. What needs to be done is to extrapolate the reasons why someone prefers a certain flavor of icecream. After they have given you their argument or opinion you then counter it by dragging out information either learned, researched, or intuited and presenting it in an objective fashion. If the person still has objections, use the socratic method to break them down and reintroduce the idea that vanilla ice cream is the best.

Alternatively, you could just listen to their reasoning for their choice. Data thrown at a subjective, personal, opinion, generally is not trying to understand though, it would be used to change the opinion instead. Opinions stated as facts are what need to be dessimated, not generally opinions for the sake of opinions.

No. The only argument needed is that there are different preferences, reasons for these preferences are irrelevant, since the same data i posted earlier contained the proof that there are preferences ;)