• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Fictional NTs

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
J/P You said that big picture thinking was part of P not of N. I disagreed. The Holmes thing is another conversation entirely.

Oh and from the big picture Deduction is down and Induction is up. Pedantry..perhaps but still.

Deduction is carving the features of your snowman from a block of snow.
Induction is adding extra snow to make the features.

Induction builds, deduction destroys.
You mean induction is down the ladder? Yes. From up down.

The big picture is not irrespective of the motive. The thingie Mycroft brought up. Maybe he did not use the word motive. That is what he discussed anyway. What makes the P tick.. tick tick.. what makes the J tick..

And he said the P is not utilitary- in his own words. In for the game.
Hence it is a question of motive.
And the motive is about freedom.
This is why the Ps are often artists.
For Scherlock, the detective thing was an art. He was an artist.
What a good artist he was.

What does the artist do?
He sees the picture. The P thing.

But there are artists who see behind the picture. They are NPs.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I believe that obsession is a J trait.
Given the number of INTJs I know *personally* who have obsessions over ex-partners (g/f, b/f, spouse), I would agree.

Most Js who visit my house become stressed.
I wonder why this is, X.... :thinking:

Most people--type neutral--who come to my house get very relaxed. I am a calming influence on most people. Not a *boring* influence, just calming and relaxing. :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Given the number of INTJs I know *personally* who have obsessions over ex-partners (g/f, b/f, spouse), I would agree.

And chores. And events. And work. And family. And just about anything else. J's are very prone to obsessions...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Hmmm...when I go on the Internet, people sometimes call me a freak -- maybe because I'm obsessed with that which I cannot have? I guess I can be considered a cyberstalker of sorts! ;)

I'm also obsessed with things of my interest, at the expense of everything else.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Just to be clear, NTs use deductive reasoning and NFs use inductive.
Reasoning yes. Logic no.

Reasoning is that idyllic part after having found your answer where you try and convince yourself and others that your not being a screaming child. That's not the same thing as the process used to assemble information though. Intuition is very inductive.
In detective work, for example, you need to use analytic deductive reasoning to come up with new hypothetical understandings -- interpreting meaning from the data brought in by the five senses. So an N, I think, could have just as much attention to detail as the S, the difference being the N's hypothesis.
Huh? An S would be better at picking out the information, an N would be better at assembling a picture from the information. Analysis is more N and deduction is more S. You ideally need both and hence Watson, though his part is played down of course.

My INFP friend put the answer perfectly.
Myself ~ "What type was Sherlock Holmes?"
INFP ~ "Whatever type Conan Doyle needed him to be"
And may I remind you that Sherlock Holmes is known for intellectual prowess -- which includes ability to think abstractly.
Yes that is true and you can assemble some of his thought trains via this. However some are just pure fantasy that he got what turned out to be the right conclusion. There was no evidence noted which would eliminate several glaring possibilities. At this point the man seems to treat his intuition as fact. That's inductive and quite non NT.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
And may I remind you that Sherlock Holmes is known for intellectual prowess -- which includes ability to think abstractly.

This evidences the typical S stands for Stupid prejudice. Abstract thinking is just one subgenre of intellect. It is not the defining trait.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
The functions are interdependent.
It is something you do not take into account, do you?

You are talking about the functions as if they were isolated entities.
The introverted functions:

Ti = ITP

Si = ISJ

Ni = INJ

Fi = IFP

You cannot isolate the functions. They exist in a unison.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Not that anyone will get the reference, since I doubt many here are familiar with French TV, but I think King Arthur from the Kaamelott series is the same type as me.

I think the actor who plays him though, Alexandre Astier, is INTx

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I am having a Prison Break marathon (watched 9 episodes today, and it will be more), and I am thinking Michael Scofield is INTJ. He is a very complicated fictional character though, so I don't think it's a perfect type match. I see the T/F especially as possibly quite complicated. I think it's also quite interesting to speculate in his IQ. Does 160-170 sound good?

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
My INFP friend put the answer perfectly.
Myself ~ "What type was Sherlock Holmes?"
INFP ~ "Whatever type Conan Doyle needed him to be"

This will likely be true for all, or at least most, fictional characters, actually, given how stories are usually written.

Charizmatic

I am having a Prison Break marathon (watched 9 episodes today, and it will be more), and I am thinking Michael Scofield is INTJ. He is a very complicated fictional character though, so I don't think it's a perfect type match. I see the T/F especially as possibly quite complicated. I think it's also quite interesting to speculate in his IQ. Does 160-170 sound good?

I would defo suggest MS is an INTJ, outer confidence, engineer, planner, awkward personal relationships. However, he does seem to be very emotional about his close relationships... not sure if that is an INTJ trait or not.

Last edited:

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
INTPs I've picked out:

Patrice Meursault (The Stranger by Albert Camus)
Lily Briscoe (To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf)
Catherine (Proof by David Auburn)

Usehername

On a mission
I would defo suggest MS is an INTJ, outer confidence, engineer, planner, awkward personal relationships. However, he does seem to be very emotional about his close relationships... not sure if that is an INTJ trait or not.

i think it is. even from my male INTJ friends. (they just may not reveal it until one-on-one)

lastrailway

Anybody has read Douglas Adams' books: "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul" and "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency"?
Dirk Gently stikes me like an XNTP, probably INTP. The first time I read the INTP description it reminded me of Dirk Gently

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Hey, didn't you use to have Monkey as your avatar? What do you think of him being ENTP?

I dunno, I haven't read the book and haven't watched the show for a few years. He could well be a text-book ESTP. If not ESTP, then he'd have to be ENTP.