• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Dyslexia & N types?

entpr

MBTI Type
ENTP
Wondering if dyslexia is related to being high in N type. I'm a strong N type & used to have severe dyslexia since birth. I still have difficulties reading long sentences. My theory is that N factor & may be P factor contributes to visual thinking which may cause dyslexia. Anybody, any thoughts?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a form of it myself, only with processing numbers. Both my sisters have to greater or lesser extent. I'm eNFJ, and my sisters are ISTJ and ENFP.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hates it! I hates it! Good bookses all hurts my head, I HATES IT!

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I won't say I have dyslexia but I think way way way faster then I can write/type, and that causes oddities similar to dyslexia.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have extremely mild dyslexia, that really doesn't affect me much anymore, but it made it very difficult when I was learning to read, and still affects writing and learning foreign languages. My friend, however, is severely dyslexic, and I think that she is an ISTP (very very introverted).

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
Wondering if dyslexia is related to being high in N type. I'm a strong N type & used to have severe dyslexia since birth. I still have difficulties reading long sentences. My theory is that N factor & may be P factor contributes to visual thinking which may cause dyslexia. Anybody, any thoughts?

Not especially in my own experience with dyslexic patients, being a speech pathologist myself. Not type related, at all. I see dyslexic kids and adults every day 50% of the day, 4 days a week and I spend my time when I am with them to analyse their cognitive processes and their psychology. I think, I would have seen. Maybe a little more "SJ" than anything in visual dyslexia for example (mostly perfectionnist kids, drawn to details and who not see the big picture).
I correct dyslexic kids, being N and P my self! I always loved linguistic, words, spelling, reading, writing, as far as I can remember.

Please, don't think every thing is type related. There's not just one type of glasses to see the whole world...

My theory is that N factor & may be P factor contributes to visual thinking which may cause dyslexia.

Beside, this is totally anti-logical! If it contributes to visual thinking, this also means, you are able to imagine visually the words, to find out creative ways to learn spelling with your own visual inner processes and to think visually over the words, notice their differences and how to write them down. So, why would it bring dyslexia? If you are strong visually, it's one of your core processes. And dyslexia is not only a visual issue. They are many type of different dyslexia!
I even think, NFP, NFJ, ENT are especially good verbally to formulate their thoughts and even write them down.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius tends to agree with Cality that there is most probably no link between dyslexia and MBTI types.

For what it's worth, Falcarius most probably has dysgraphia or some sort of learning disability as he explained here.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm dyslexic and an S type, so yeah. Ner. ;)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I could be just talking crap here, but you may be onto something.

A while ago, I read studies that show that we do not read ALL the letters of a word. We read maybe two or three and the mind fills the rest in. So it could be that a strong N might see multiple possibilities or something (does that sound like crap?!)

For example, I always have a problem with quiet, quite, quit. Weird, huh?

Also have problems with numbers.

Or words like discreet, discrete...

But I would not call that dyslexia. So I am not entirely sure. :huh:

On the other hand, this ability allows me to play a wicked game of scrabble.

tbu i tnod owkn fi uoy owkn tahw i nema.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
A while ago, I read studies that show that we do not read ALL the letters of a word. We read maybe two or three and the mind fills the rest in. .
Of course, we don't! Otherwise, reading were too long ( Do you imagine reading every letters of the words all the time? How long to read a book?) We either read a few letters or just recognise the global visual form of the word. That's the mark of good readers. Not bad ones! So nothing to do with intuitive's ability to drop details.
Some bad ones often just spend their times to read the word entirely and do not memorise the global form of the word (visual memory). That's one type of dyslexia among others!

Your type of pbl might rather show words visual memory issues... Or since the word spell differently but also are phonetically different here, do you also have issues to relate letters/sound? See? This is much more complicated than this.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
quite the opposite in my experience... myself and my ENTP daughter both learned to read and write at very precociously early ages, as well as my ENFP brother - so far this could just be a family trait, but I can say that the only dyslexic N i've ever met is my sister the ENFJ and I'm not even sure that's dyslexia since she didn't go to school or get much education.

I think I read somewhere that NP's are the types that pick up languages the most quickly and easily, and master foreign spelling rules with the least effort. That would bear out my experience but I wish I could remember where I read it... *thinks*

The strong visual thinking I find actually helps me with literacy. I read a word once and then when I say it or think it I see it spellt just as I read it.

I've never really analyzed it, but all my life I've had no end of comments (and was put in special sections at school etc because of it) about my 'gift' with literacy and language generally. I mean I'm not quite like that woman on Star Trek: Enterprise that learns an alien's language in two hours completely, but I'm good enough, and without trying much either, that I've often been jokingly compared to her. I've just always put it down to Ne, and never considered myself that gifted. I think anyone could do what I do if they just learned how, and I think for most people it's confidence that holds them back rather than ability. I'm not sure why I've never really thought about it personally in detail, but people have talked about it all my life and I've been subjected to all sorts of tests... bleh.

Anyway, this is as much as to say that if there were a correlation between N and dyslexia, I'd be very surprised.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
quite the opposite in my experience... myself and my ENTP daughter both learned to read and write at very precociously early ages, as well as my ENFP brother - so far this could just be a family trait, but I can say that the only dyslexic N i've ever met is my sister the ENFJ and I'm not even sure that's dyslexia since she didn't go to school or get much education.

I think I read somewhere that NP's are the types that pick up languages the most quickly and easily, and master foreign spelling rules with the least effort. That would bear out my experience but I wish I could remember where I read it... *thinks*

The strong visual thinking I find actually helps me with literacy. I read a word once and then when I say it or think it I see it spellt just as I read it.

I've never really analyzed it, but all my life I've had no end of comments (and was put in special sections at school etc because of it) about my 'gift' with literacy and language generally. I mean I'm not quite like that woman on Star Trek: Enterprise that learns an alien's language in two hours completely, but I'm good enough, and without trying much either, that I've often been jokingly compared to her. I've just always put it down to Ne, and never considered myself that gifted. I think anyone could do what I do if they just learned how, and I think for most people it's confidence that holds them back rather than ability. I'm not sure why I've never really thought about it personally in detail, but people have talked about it all my life and I've been subjected to all sorts of tests... bleh.

Anyway, this is as much as to say that if there were a correlation between N and dyslexia, I'd be very surprised.

I completly agree with your analysis!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read voraciously as a child as well. And of course - no one reads individual letters or even individual words. I was just proposing that as a reason why some people might have trouble...

It's late, and I'm tired - I'll post more later when my brain starts functioning again after a good night's sleep. :blush:

btw, I find verbal skills quite simple and I love foreign languages.

I had problems with certain words until I was 10-12.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm dyslexic. I don't really care if it's 'cause of N or S, but I have an anecdote here:

I didn't notice I was driving on the wrong side of the double yellow 'til my non-dyslexic friend asked me if I was joking or if I was crazy.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I suffer from dyscalculia, which is rather different come to think of it. I think the worst episode was when I somehow calculated this idea in my head:

2nd period is at 10:50AM - Ergo, I should get 11:25AM train.

I can't remember how I worked that out. Either way, the whole class erupted into synchronized laughter as I burst into the classroom at 11:45 - when the lesson was about to end - and said, "Sorry, am I a bit late?"

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm dyslexic. I don't really care if it's 'cause of N or S, but I have an anecdote here:

I didn't notice I was driving on the wrong side of the double yellow 'til my non-dyslexic friend asked me if I was joking or if I was crazy.

Ah, the classic N obliviousness to surroundings! Yeah I get that one too. And the curious flipping of images too - I often read my watch as though it were in mirror image. Sometimes it's immediately obvious that I've done it because the amount of light tells me it can't possibly be that time. But sometimes when it's not so obvious, like when it's 10 past 1 and I read it as 10 to 11, quarter past 12 and I read it as quarter to... haha... and I can never tell left from right without thinking about it.

But no, never any problems at all with literacy despite that.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I used to have problems writting some of my letters backwards, especially b/d, s, z and N. I got sent a special ed class to practice letter writing.

I am also pretty bad at spelling. I tend to spell words phoenetically. I can remember the basic rules of spelling, but not the things that require you to memorize individual spellings. Things like week/weak, there/their.

I am very good with reading though.

I think that Si may help with spelling and writing letters, since that is the trait most associated with remembering details. Since that is my lowest (8th) trait, it makes sense I am bad at this.

Ilah