• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] can an intp use introverted intuition?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ni.. this is an unconscious long range knowing of people and events unfolding, Intentions etc
Ni as a first process lets you see very deeply into people.. immediately liking/disliking without being able to describe exactly why.
Over time, able to get right to the heart of it bluntly.

Ne... is a conscious in the moment process people places and things, connecting circumstances in the moment
Ne as a first process connects in the moment and can determine authenticity,
Describing bluntly exactly why, Objectively

My best friend is ENFP.. she operates first through Ne

I am INFJ.. I operate first through Ni

No.. Ne is unconscious also(MBTI 101), rest isnt right either.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
wait are you telling me than an np or intp or entp can actualy use ni?????

- - - Updated - - -

that an intp could actualy use ni side by side with your main function like it is a dominant function?

Some systems that define functions(and pretty much the whole psyche) differently like socionics and beebean 8 function model says this, but not according to MBTI.

chado

MBTI Type
infp
im confused???how does the shadow functions works??

ok lets take an intp how does shadow functions emerge? this is what wikipedia says ''Later personality researchers (notably Linda V. Berens)[18] added four additional functions to the descending hierarchy, the so-called "shadow" functions to which the individual is not naturally inclined but which can emerge when the person is under stress. For the INTP these shadow functions are (in order):te ni se fi
now what does this mean?if an intp is under stress would he/she be using ni as a dominant function?to what degree would he be using ni if he is under stress thanks?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good summation. Only part I take issue with (for a summation) is Pi as introspection and Ji as making decisions alone. The Ti and Fi doms I know spend long periods mulling over . . . something . . . it isn't maybe quite the same as Ni or Si, whose introspection I can understand better, but I do think Ji does a lot of introspecting. INTPs are some of the most introspective types out there . . .

Perhaps you are defining introspection in a 'fuzzy' Pi way as opposed to a more rational and conscious Ji way?

Also curious about why you associate N and creativity; I tend to do that as well, although my empirical experience doesn't bear it out.
Let me think about that.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Why is this labelled as INFJ and in the NF section??

And I'm not too clear on shadow functions myself but the first place I had a read on them was here.

Essentially we all have the 8 functions, just in diff orders and to different strengths.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
ok lets take an intp how does shadow functions emerge? this is what wikipedia says ''Later personality researchers (notably Linda V. Berens)[18] added four additional functions to the descending hierarchy, the so-called "shadow" functions to which the individual is not naturally inclined but which can emerge when the person is under stress. For the INTP these shadow functions are (in order):te ni se fi
now what does this mean?if an intp is under stress would he/she be using ni as a dominant function?to what degree would he be using ni if he is under stress thanks?

there are a lot of different views on the shadow.
there are so many we could fill 10,000 books literally. If you want to know more about how shadow and typology play out you might want to read Carl Jung's works. Don't take it all literally, be independent in your thought, but it's a good place to start.

Also realize there are no rules set in stone here. We might come to find out that our shadow is actually a series of other things and the word shadow is just used to describe the phenomenology initially of some amorphous experience we lack the words for.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
They dont work, they are just some theoretical new view on type that pretty much disregards much in older models to simplify things. Really that "Fi" in INTP for example is Ti trying to take over analysis that belongs to Fe(due to Ti being overrepresented by the ego and Fe being too unconscious to be used properly), which results in introverted processing of contents of Fe, but that processing is really based on principle of logic. The shadow function theory disregards this sort of thing and just calls it Fi. By doing so, it also drastically changes the whole definition of the functions.

This is something that happens constantly with functions that are not developed to be directed consciously, in other words are undifferentiated:

http://www.nyaap.org/jung-lexicon/d/ said:
Differentiation

The separation of parts from a whole, necessary for conscious access to the psychological functions.

"So long as a function is still so fused with one or more other functions-thinking with feeling, feeling with sensation, etc.-that it is unable to operate on its own, it is in an archaic condition, i.e., not differentiated, not separated from the whole as a special part and existing by itself. Undifferentiated thinking is incapable of thinking apart from other functions; it is continually mixed up with sensations, feelings, intuitions, just as undifferentiated feeling is mixed up with sensations and fantasies."["Definitions," CW 6, par. 705.]

An undifferentiated function is characterized by ambivalence (every position entails its own negative), which leads to characteristic inhibitions in its use.

"Differentiation consists in the separation of the function from other functions, and in the separation of its individual parts from each other. Without differentiation direction is impossible, since the direction of a function towards a goal depends on the elimination of anything irrelevant. Fusion with the irrelevant precludes direction; only a differentiated function is capable of being directed."[ Ibid., par. 705.]

KitchenFly

im confused???how does the shadow functions works??

I hope some one takes the time to explain there understanding about the subject,

Good question.

Last edited:

KitchenFly

can someone tell me whats the difference between ni and ne?????

N is creativity,

F is emotion, and F types tend toward keeping emotional harmony with ___ (Fe, Fi).
T is logic and truth-seeking, disregarding emotion and morals (Te, Ti).

Doesn't get much harder than that.

I disagree I do not believe the F function is feeling in the larger mechanical order of how thinks work,,all is emotion E motion / energy motion.

I believe F function is a value orientated function that works , operates ,in conjunction with the instincts at the instinctual primary level of minds structure. The value relates to three instinctual functions sense think and feel. Likened to a relay.
The F function could be viewed though the sense instinct lens of a lens that has three filters and is stacked in a way that favours what ever is the fevered or dominant of the three. In this example with in an order sense being the dominant bis , it could be the instinctual component of feel or think as the dominant bias.
All three utilised together with out bis helps manifest intuitions of a spiritual order, this is Gurdjieff's,. Law of three in action.

T I believe is an impersonal critical thinking like logical orientated view. I do not think morels is really linked to the raw nature of the function T

And the same goes for T in relation to what I mentioned about the instinctual level and sense think and feel. And the making of the law of three happen within.

I am not keen on the other parts of your post but.. so be it.

Cheers

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
From an ENFP perspective:

Both Ni and Ne when combined with judging seem to relate to the possibilities rather than just what is in front of you.

Ni, I believe, uses the possibilities to subconsciously identify the "best" option. An Ni Dom can almost mystically know what to do and be sure about it without yet knowing why. Please read Ni users' posts for their explanations of it.

Ne is more like being instinctively conscious of the possibilities. It generally, at least in the short term, leads to more questions rather than a definite answer. As an Ne Dom I tend to narrow the possibilities looking for an answer because life requires them but really want to find more possibilities.

chado

MBTI Type
infp
how would an intp experience ni(introverted intuition)

ok so basically iv been reading up on the shadow functions, and it says that in stress shadow functions can emerge now the shadow functions for an infp would be (fe)(ni)(se)(ti)
now how would an infp lets say under stress experience ni would it be pure ni like an intj would experience it or would it be more cloudy or anything you want to add thanks?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Ni is internal. It is having an open mind.

Ne is external. It is trying new things.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ni is internal. It is having an open mind.

Ne is external. It is trying new things.

Ni is far from having an open mind :D except for the things that are already in the mind. Ni is about habitually weeding out what possibly could not fit the inner view of something and trying to come up with possibilities that would fit it.

Also doesent trying out new things kinda require having an open mind? = that distinction doesent even make sense.

BigApplePi

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know about stress, but if I'm thinking about something, I might have a momentary intuition about some possibility. Now is this Ne or Ni? If it's internal I'd want to look into it and discard it because I don't hold no water to intuition. For me, intuition is just a flash of doubt to get to some truth.

KitchenFly

Yes And Precisely, the INTP can reach into INFP. Not all INTPs will desire to reach in that direction. But never the less will, with out recognition too within-conscious.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
No. They don't have it in their stack. INTP stack is Ti primary paired with Ne auxiliary, Si tertiary paired with Fe inferior.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
of course. every type can. that doesn't mean they all have the ability to morph into INxJs though. Each type will use each function differently and to varying degrees of effectiveness.