• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Cusp of ENTP/ENTJ

joeyk

MBTI Type
ENTx
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The several times I've taken an MBTI test, I consistently score right on the edge between P and J, though the other types are pretty secure.

I'm:
  • E moderately
  • N strongly
  • T strongly

But on the P/J dimension, I sometimes come up on either side. When I've seen a chart or percentages in some tests, they consistently show me right on the edge.

When I've read articles on the differences between ENTP and ENTJ, I see a bit of myself on both sides of most comparison points, with some items heavily resonating for me one way versus the other, though not consistently. (But that's got to be true of most people, right?)

Then I found out that these two types are actually quite different and share none of the actual cognitive functions.

So this confuses me a bit.

Do any of you have any thoughts on whether there is anything I should make of this? I've been looking for information on people who test like me, but I haven't come up with much when I search Google, which is sort of discouraging.

(Background on me: I'm an entrepreneur -- successful several times with financial exits -- and I frequently have to balance between creativity/innovation and keeping the trains on time. These seem to embody the ENTP/ENTJ split in many ways. Also, FWIW, in the DISC test, I score very high on three dimensions -- D, I, and S -- which is also a little unusual I've been told.)

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
[MENTION=23924]joeyk[/MENTION]: Those two types are actually completely different. (IMHO the type profiles are often BS stereotypes anyways and not that useful)

I'd recommend looking more into the MBTI cognitive functions:

ENTP:
Dominant - Extroverted Intuition (Ne)
Auxiliary - Introverted Thinking (Ti)
Tertiary - Extroverted Feeling (Fe)
Inferior - Introverted Sensing (Si)

ENTJ:
Dominant - Extroverted Thinking (Te)
Auxiliary - Introverted Intuition (Ni )
Tertiary - Extroverted Sensing (Se)
Inferior - Introverted Feeling (Fi)

Completely different processes of cognition.

Ne- external possibilities and connections. New ideas from external stimuli.
vs
Te - external factual logic. Logic based in reality of observable facts. Likes organization. Speaks to help think.

Ti- internal logic. Analyzing data using a framework that makes sense to you, but perhaps not others. More theoretical than Te. Asks "why, and how" often. Thinks before speaking.
vs
Ni - internal possibilities. More focused, singular than Ne. Works unconsciously with Se observing environment and drawing conclusions.

Fe - external, objective values. Aware of emotional environment. Tries to follow social niceties and graces for their own sake (less for personal reasons Fi). Often effected by emotional environment more so than an Fi user. More visually expressive of emotion. Fe often has a need to vent.
vs
Se - external objective sensations. Being aware of the environment around you. Living in the moment.

Si - Internal subjective sensations/experiences. Comparing things to a framework of the past. Aware of how environment effects you personally. (in inferior function can manifest negatively as never learning from past mistakes or clinging too much onto the past.)
vs
Fi - Internal subjective values. Living according to what you deem right or wrong. May or may not adhere to social niceties. Often less externally expressive than Fe. Fi often does not benefit from talking through their feelings with others. (Inferior can manifest negatively when one does not develop their value system sufficiently and can be ruled only by logic. Does not take consideration to meaning of actions. . .)

*thats all i have for now. I'm happy to answer more questions, and if I anyone thinks I got anything wrong/ stereotyped. Per usual let me know :)

joeyk

MBTI Type
ENTx
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks [MENTION=22712]Paris34[/MENTION],

That's kind of my point, though. I know they're quite different. Which is why I'm confused why I keep testing on the "edge" (whatever that means) of P and J.

I guess I'm asking what it might mean that I test on the edge consistently, sometimes coming up as barely a P and sometimes barely a J.

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Thanks [MENTION=22712]Paris34[/MENTION],

That's kind of my point, though. I know they're quite different. Which is why I'm confused why I keep testing on the "edge" (whatever that means) of P and J.

I guess I'm asking what it might mean that I test on the edge consistently, sometimes coming up as barely a P and sometimes barely a J.

What I think will help is forget the dichotomy. P/J and I/E technically don't even exist. In the system they work as markers to indicate the order, nature, and orientation of the functions of the S/N or F/T tags. Read up on the functions, and see if your thought process is more ideas, possibilities, connections, and patterns(Ne) or are you more orderly, systemic is both speech and thought, and more long range singular minded thinker (Te-Ni)?

Which sounds more like you?

joeyk

MBTI Type
ENTx
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Right, I hear you. I do. But that doesn't really help me understand, I guess, any more.

Because when I "read up on the functions", as I mentioned earlier, they split me down the center.

My best read from some of the sites I've been reading up on, if I had to say where I fit in tag-by-tag have me leaning:

• Slightly Ne
  • Very even/split Ti/Te
  • Strongly Fe
  • Strongly Se

So, Ne-Fe-Se with a split Ti/Te.

Is that bizarre? Does it make me a sociopath?

(In any case, thanks again for the help decoding this. Really appreciate it.)

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Right, I hear you. I do. But that doesn't really help me understand, I guess, any more.

Because when I "read up on the functions", as I mentioned earlier, they split me down the center.

My best read from some of the sites I've been reading up on, if I had to say where I fit in tag-by-tag have me leaning:

• Slightly Ne
  • Very even/split Ti/Te
  • Strongly Fe
  • Strongly Se

So, Ne-Fe-Se with a split Ti/Te.

Is that bizarre? Does it make me a sociopath?

(In any case, thanks again for the help decoding this. Really appreciate it.)

Haha no worries, I'm happy to help. (I need the distraction anyways . . .)

If you feel that you have strong Se, do you think its possible that you might be an SP?

And to consider Ti/Te: say there is a floating mountain with people on top. What are your thoughts?

LonestarCowgirl

Thanks [MENTION=22712]Paris34[/MENTION]I guess I'm asking what it might mean that I test on the edge consistently, sometimes coming up as barely a P and sometimes barely a J.

Ne asks, "why?" *skippidy trip*

Te asks, "what?" *flippidy flip*

Looks like you're ENTJ.

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Also [MENTION=23924]joeyk[/MENTION]:

If you want I can post a random photo from online, and you can tell me what your brain immediately jumps to think or wonder or question ect... Paragraph, bullet points, whatever you want... and then I can tell you what functions I think you are using based off your reaction to the picture.

It yielded pretty accurate results when I tried it myself. People typed me as INTP/ENTP/ISFJ - all pretty similar/ share same functions.

joeyk

MBTI Type
ENTx
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And to consider Ti/Te: say there is a floating mountain with people on top. What are your thoughts?

1. Are they okay?
2. Whoa, it's floating? Hmm. That's crazy. How?
3. Clever comment re: Roman gods on top of Olympus?

joeyk

MBTI Type
ENTx
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also [MENTION=23924]joeyk[/MENTION]:

If you want I can post a random photo from online, and you can tell me what your brain immediately jumps to think or wonder or question ect... Paragraph, bullet points, whatever you want... and then I can tell you what functions I think you are using based off your reaction to the picture.

It yielded pretty accurate results when I tried it myself. People typed me as INTP/ENTP/ISFJ - all pretty similar/ share same functions.

Looking at your avatar/profile pic:
  • Feeling of calm
  • That's strange it's calming. It's an ocean at the start of a storm?
  • As a composition, it's interesting, with the wave drawing my eye to the middle-right, a strange spot
  • Reminds me of the Pacific Northwest
  • Now the picture seems cold more than calm.

Paris34

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
1. Are they okay?
2. Whoa, it's floating? Hmm. That's crazy. How?
3. Clever comment re: Roman gods on top of Olympus?

Going by your initial responses on each of these, have you considered that you might have a feeling preference? - the question I'd ask you then is do you look for meaning in the world around you or meaning in relation to yourself? (e.g. what does this mean about the situation/person/place/ ect.. or do you ask what does this mean to me/how does it impact me?)

Based off your responses I'm going to venture a guess at Fe-Ti and then say Ne-Si. (the reminds me of, is what caught my attention for Si)

So from there the mbti types that use those functions would include: INTP, ENTP, ISFJ, ESFJ

INTP-Ti-Ne-Si-Fe - will first look for specifics and analyze data - Dominant introverted Judger. (more serious view of self)
ENTP - Ne-Ti-Fe-Si - first look outward. - Dominant extroverted Perceiver. (so more laid back view of self)
ISFJ -Si-Fe-Ti-Ne - first references past experiences/ subjective sensations. - Dominant introverted Perceiver (more laid back view of self, but will appear less laid back externally)
ESFJ - Fe-Si-Ne-Ti - First looks outward for meaning, relating to others. (Dominant extroverted judger, appears and is more serious. in approach to life)

Also if you are still wondering about Ne try a word association game. Does it energize you once you get going? Do you have a hard time stopping or does this take effort for you to do?

E.g. Soda -> pop -> popcorn -> movies -> inception -> dreams within dreams -> Doctor Who -> blue -> Blue is the Warmest Color -> tumblr...... (took me all of 30 seconds, its second nature for me, that is once I turn it on, but once I do it energizes me. It feels like I'm awake when I use Ne)

What makes you feel most awake (in terms of thinking/ thought processes)?