• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Favourite Scientist and favourite Philosopher?

Cygnus

I <3 Nikola Tesla. So neurotic, but so brilliant, fascinating, and enigmatic. He played a huge part in the development of technology in the twentieth century.

Also he was in love with a pigeon. So that's fun.

^This.

Also a personal fan of George Westinghouse, though he was an inventor and supporter of Tesla rather than a true scientist. I forget a lot of what he did, though.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a little bit of NT blood in me, so I'll permit myself to post in this thread.

My favorite scientist is I-don't-care. Maybe Newton, because some of his ideas like that equal and opposite thing line up with my independently conceived intuitions. Einstein's theories have more interesting implications, but I find some of those implications so disturbing that I can't exactly call myself a fan.

My favorite philosopher is Jean-Paul Sartre for Being and Nothingness, Nausea, and No Exit. Ayn Rand is more charismatic to me, but I think she was a lousy philosopher.

I really don't even like philosophy anymore. I only ever liked it because it gave me creative ideas and occasionally allowed me to imagine I had come up with some important truth. Right now, it mostly just inspires me to come up with the most existentially twisted scenarios imaginable, the kinds of things that make The Trial by Franz Kafka look sane and cozy.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure who my favorite scientist is.. Maybe Carl Sagan or Francis Bacon.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=23832]Obsidius[/MENTION] I see you like Wittgenstein. What brings you to mention him in this thread? :)

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=23832]Obsidius[/MENTION] I see you like Wittgenstein. What brings you to mention him in this thread? :)

Well, he was an amazing philosopher! Truly a genius, I love how he toys with language and logic :) I also love your sig btw, Heidegger is awesome :)

Ingrid in grids

I can't really give a favourite of either, but Dr Barry Marshall is a bawse scientist who deserves a mention in this thread.

He famously swallowed a Petri dish of Helicobacter pylori to give himself stomach ulcers to prove there was a causative link between the bacteria and stomach ulcers. He won a Nobel Prize for this 2005.

professor-barry-marshall.jpg

He's also Australian. Bawse.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Einstein, Tesla, Salk, Hawking, Emmet Doc Brown, etc

Diogenes, Plato, Lao Tzu, Siddhartha Gautama, Miyagi, etc

AUDARASHTESLA

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Well, my fav philosopher is Voltaire. What i like about him (besides his books and stuff) is that all portraits and even sculptures of him are smiling!
fav scientist: Nikola Tesla. The greatest inventor of all time with brilliant ideas. He should've gotten more credit.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Inventor/Scientists: Edward Jenner, Guglielmo Marconi, Tesla, De Vinci, Werner Heisenberg

Philosopher’s: Thomas Hobbes, Francis Bacon, Immanuel Kant, Voltaire

& many more...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Scientist: Tesla

Philosopher: me, i prefer my philosophy over others :shrug:

Cowardly

deactivated
Tesla (“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”) and Goethe (“As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.”).

á´…eparted

passages
Never met him, but George Olah. The stories I heard is that he was a total trip, had the social skills of a dust bunny, but was rather friendly/likeable and benign with it. He also did some crazy (and awesome) science; king of the carbocation. Also including pioneering work on superacids.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not sure if you'd include him as a scientist or more of an engineer type, but I've always admired Leonardo DaVinci for being a kind of jack-of-all trades. I think I've been fascinated with him since I was five. The man kind of had his hands in everything.

Lib

Permabanned
My favourite scientist is (cliche I know); Einstein

My favourite philosopher is a tie between; Nietzsche...
This confuses me. Einstein is one of the most firm determinists in the history, all his theories are based on causal determinism. In fact, he was passionate opposer of any idea that could even remotely hint randomness in nature, while Nietzsche's philosophy suggests randomness in the universe. I mean, their works are like water and oil, that is, fundamentally non-mixing.

I like all scientists and philosophers who accept determinism which unfortunately excludes brilliant people like Heisenberg and Hawking. I still value their contributions and imagination, just can't agree with some of their theoretical conclusions.

Lark

I can probably get both with one stone by saying Bertrand Russell.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like philosophy and science, but I do not like studying it. So I do not have favorites. I am a filthy casual. I have stumbled across many quotes that I do like, but I am shit at remembering names.

Most of my philisophical or political conclusions I came up with on my own, with little outside influence.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to be boring and choose Edison over Tesla.

And double boring by saying Plato and Lao Tzu are my favorite philosophers.

ChimericalSerenity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fav philosopher(s!): Arendt, Nietzsche and Kierkegaard (bless his heart)