• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTJ: How do others see you? (ISFJ mom's opinion of me)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
By the way, does anyone know of other INTJs who have an unusually morbid sense of humor? I guess you can say other people perceived my sense of humor as really morbid (my mom says I'd make a good mortician). And I sometimes catch myself laughing and thinking of witty James Bond-like puns when I watch prime time television.

yes, but my ENFP friend (Hexis on here) and his ISFJ girlfriend both do also

I don't think I've ever had so many evil laughs as when I just watched Mr. Brooks.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
By the way, does anyone know of other INTJs who have an unusually morbid sense of humor? I guess you can say other people perceived my sense of humor as really morbid (my mom says I'd make a good mortician). And I sometimes catch myself laughing and thinking of witty James Bond-like puns when I watch prime time television.

Most of my friends have gallows humor, regardless of Type. I worked as an obituary writer for a while and learned that half the morticians have a similar sense of humor. (The other half are really stuffy.) My IxTx cousin, who is a mortician, is one of the good kind, so we have a ball when we meet, which isn't often.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I laugh at the Holocaust videos all over YouTube. I also laugh when I read the comments about the Hilary Duff interpretation of The Diary of Anne Frank shown on Robot Chicken. Watching people suffer and get upset is just amusing to me...and I'm really not ashamed of it either. And the fact this kind of humor is upsetting to most people is part of the reason it's funny. You can say it, I'm a horrible person!

However, I also like slapstick humor like The Three Stooges or the first two Home Alone movies. I like everything from racial to sex humor, though I'm actually pretty bad at telling these jokes; I usually stutter.

Usehername

On a mission
I think the similarity is probably the Extraverted Judging. Both of you would apparently come to closure quickly--faster than someone with an Extraverted Sensing function.

All moms--and anyone over the age of 30--master the "knowing smile." The best counter to that is a return "knowing smile" with no counterargument. Trust me. :devil:

(Or, just admit that you need to pick your battles and this one could be a Pyrrhic victory.) :)
Thx--I'll try that "knowing smile" next time. You'd think, though, that one could follow well laid-out logic. Apparently not.

Usehername

On a mission
As far as superficials, I guess she was right; but as far as essentials, you were.

I think you are a little better off because you understand that people work differently; your mom still thinks that everyone works similarly and she's "wiser" than you are. But it also puts more burden on you, since you are actually wiser in terms of evaluating people for who they are.

Yeah. :(

I know it doesn't make you feel any better or solve your problem, but my mom is an ISFJ as well and still doesn't understand me. She tries hard to accommodate me, but we have a lot of trouble having any sort of conversations that I would find meaningful; at best, I have to talk about the things she's interested in, on her level.

I do try sometimes to stretch her, but I can't do much of it, and that's disappointing to me. My heart sinks when she gets that "deer in the headlights" look and becomes totally baffled, and we have to change the topic.

So vent all you want. :)

Thx, Jennifer.

I remember making a very firm promise to myself to not talk about any topic of substance with my mother ever again b/c it only ever seemed to lead to frustration (and, when I was younger, sometimes grounding!) ANd lately I've been trying to have more mature conversations with her.

I after reading your post, though,... well... this is exactly what I foresaw then, foresee now, and... anyway. I'll probably avoid real conversation with her for a few months. I'll try the "at her level" stuff.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Thx--I'll try that "knowing smile" next time.
It'll add to your "mysteriousness" quotient, which is always useful. When you get into the working world/grad school (or hit 30, whichever is more terrifying), learning to not rise to bait is useful.
You'd think, though, that one could follow well laid-out logic. Apparently not.
Nope. You have a mess of barriers beyond just logic.

First, she's your mom. That trumps most arguments, until you've "proven yourself as an adult," whatever that means for her.

Second, she's older than you. There's a "Wet behind the ears" switch that gets flipped at a certain point--I had it happen when I went back to grad school. I was 10-18 years older than most of my fellow students and kept getting the old-fogey feeling about all these kids who were "wet behind their ears." I was painfully aware of it, tho, so I managed to kill it off so I could listen. I think for SJs, this is much harder to do.

Third, if she does have a Feeling preference, then you'll have to learn to speak in values, not principles, in order to convince her. You can learn to do this--we all have to learn to some extent--but even then you'll have to deal with barriers One and Two.

And finally, you'll have to communicate in S, not N. Again--can be done, but you still have barriers One and Two.

Yeah--I do think barriers One and Two are the biggest. Especially One. Yup. :nice:

Edit: BTW, I'm married to an ISFJ and my mom is prolly ESFJ.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of my friends have gallows humor, regardless of Type. I worked as an obituary writer for a while and learned that half the morticians have a similar sense of humor. (The other half are really stuffy.) My IxTx cousin, who is a mortician, is one of the good kind, so we have a ball when we meet, which isn't often.

I saw a "Captured" (on video) show last night on MSNBC, where they walked through the days of four LA County coroner investigators... so they filmed each as they went to a site to investigate and process a dead body. Two were suicide gunshot wounds to the head; one was a woman who got hit at night on the highway; and one was an old man who killed himself by throwing himself under a bus.

The first investigator was a pixie-ish 28-year-old blonde -- not sure of her type, I think she was ISTx, probably P if I had to pick -- but the deadpan jokes were just flying as they examined this dead body, had to drag it out of the boat it was found in, and then she literally had to put the face back together so that they could take an ID picture. (She actually said, "Let's see if I can get the eyeballs back here to about where I think they would have been" -- it was so funny, because it was so horrible and said so casually. And then she had to literally "hold the face together" with her hands while the photographer snapped the pictures.)

There was no disrespect, it was all just standard banter, but they did have to simply joke about things and keep the tone casual... or the situation would have become too horrible to endure, I suppose. She said she could distance herself from it. The joking is part of that.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be perfectly honest -- and I don't do it very often (other than with family members) -- I'm probably more likely to lash out at an xSFJ type more than any other type. I just don't like when people express their concern for me.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
To be perfectly honest -- and I don't do it very often (other than with family members) -- I'm probably more likely to lash out at an xSFJ type more than any other type. I just don't like when people express their concern for me.

Indeed. Particularly when it involves me doing something unnecessary to preserve my safety/well being, which I am perfectly capable of doing on my own.

Although, it probably wouldn't be the type that I would most likely lash out at. In my experience, that has been ENTJ. However, the fact that most ISFJs fold out before escalating an argument with me helps.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw a "Captured" (on video) show last night on MSNBC, where they walked through the days of four LA County coroner investigators... so they filmed each as they went to a site to investigate and process a dead body. Two were suicide gunshot wounds to the head; one was a woman who got hit at night on the highway; and one was an old man who killed himself by throwing himself under a bus.

The first investigator was a pixie-ish 28-year-old blonde -- not sure of her type, I think she was ISTx, probably P if I had to pick -- but the deadpan jokes were just flying as they examined this dead body, had to drag it out of the boat it was found in, and then she literally had to put the face back together so that they could take an ID picture. (She actually said, "Let's see if I can get the eyeballs back here to about where I think they would have been" -- it was so funny, because it was so horrible and said so casually. And then she had to literally "hold the face together" with her hands while the photographer snapped the pictures.)

There was no disrespect, it was all just standard banter, but they did have to simply joke about things and keep the tone casual... or the situation would have become too horrible to endure, I suppose. She said she could distance herself from it. The joking is part of that.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have gotten that. I'm always looking for puns and stuff -- like the stuff in James Bond movies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be honest, I probably wouldn't have gotten that. I'm always looking for puns and stuff -- like the stuff in James Bond movies.

Or Arnold movies?

Arnold drops man off cliff
Q: "Where's Salle?"
A: "I let him go."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Indeed. Particularly when it involves me doing something unnecessary to preserve my safety/well being, which I am perfectly capable of doing on my own.

Although, it probably wouldn't be the type that I would most likely lash out at. In my experience, that has been ENTJ. However, the fact that most ISTJs fold out before escalating an argument with me helps.

An ESFJ is like the stereotyped grandmother type. ESFJs annoy me because they always remind me of "inappropriate behavior" -- ExFJs are the kind of people who constantly give lectures, and worse, get into my business.

I also find that ESTJs are really bossy, probably even more than ENTJs -- or at least the ESTJs are bossy in a way that annoys me more (they're bossy about detail work).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He had a great one in Predator.
He impales a guy and says: "Stick around."

Lol...

or in Total Recall, when he shoots his wife-gone-bad and then says, "Consider that a divorce"?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate to admit, but I liked Arnold's puns in Batman & Robin, as well. Obvious though they were.

Puns are tricky, though. Sometimes I'm not quick enough to come up with them myself.

I was watching The Shield the other day where they arrested this guy with an arm cut off -- I said to the screen: "You can't shoot him, he's unarmed!"

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
An ESFJ is like the stereotyped grandmother type. ESFJs annoy me because they always remind me of "inappropriate behavior" -- ExFJs are the kind of people who constantly give lectures, and worse, get into my business.
Oh, jeez--I worked for a micromanaging ESFJ at one point. That was hell. After she started doing her thing in front of witnesses and got threatened with HR reports, she started cornering me in the ladies' room with her lectures on manners.
I also find that ESTJs are really bossy, probably even more than ENTJs -- or at least the ESTJs are bossy in a way that annoys me more (they're bossy about detail work).
Word.

Usehername

On a mission
What type is your father? Out of curiosity.

I'm not sure who you're talking to. BUt I will answer in case it is me.

My dad is XNFP. He and I have a great relationship.

He has really been getting into the personality typing thing too. He loves her so much, but I think it's only been in the past .5 decade or so as he's been trying to become a writer on the side that he's realized that, on some things, she is just never going to get it. (His words.)

I think he always thought she was too busy... she's really intelligent. She's caring and loving. She's just... doesn't want to lean into the "N" world and it's clear she's lacking there because of it.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
This talk of ESTJs and ESFJs, coupled with my own experiences with each type, brings me closer to the conclusion that my father is not an ESFJ, as I've assumed for some time -- but simply a culturally traditional ESFP.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I admit right up front to only reading the first page of this thread (so far). I had to say something before continuting. It spoke to me.

My mom thinks I need too much privacy; that I can't let anyone see me fail and I like to be seen as tough.

She thinks my soul is superficial. She actually said that. I'm not offended but I do wonder how much of this is her ISFJ not-able-to-seeness.

I empathise with you, Usehername. I have two very E parents, but my mom in particular, an ESFJ, always thought I was distant, cold and that I 'used' people (her words). She didn't understand (and still does not to this day) that when people let me down too many times I cut them out and move on. Better for all involved.

*off to read the rest*