• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The goal of T vs the goal of F

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems to me that a lot of Feelers want peace and calm.

Yes, this is true. And sometimes feeling is calming for me depending on what it is.

Mental oblivion is not something I'm looking forward to.

Yeah, sounds like being a vegetable. The ebbs and flows of Thinking and Feeling are what make you FEEL :hi: alive.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thinking, especially analyzing things, having intellectual conversation and learning new things makes me intensly happy. It gives me a deep personally satisfaction and contentment. As one of my big pleasures in life, I don't feel any desire to stop thinking.

However, there are times when I temporarily turn down my thinking so I can focus more on my N and S. For example, when I day dream I don't stop and think about how logical the story is and when I enjoy my food I don't stop to analyze it.

There is a desire to know everything about a subject. If I do learn everything I can find about a subject, it is staifying but also a little sad because there is no more to learn. Fortunately there are many more things I can learn about.

There is a kind of knowing without thinking that can be very satisying, but this would be N. Although Ni is my dominant, I don't have any desire to replace T completely with N.

Ilah

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've discussed the transcendence that NTs often achieve in the rational acceptance of all things and it seems to me that the goal of our thinking is actually to stop thinking.

Can you actually lump Te and Ti together like that? Especially for NTs where thinking is not dominant?

ENTJ = Te dom
INTJ = Ni dom, Te AUX
ENTP = Ne dom, Ti AUX
INTP = Ti dom

Thinking is not only different for each NT, but for two of them it's not even the dominant!

The "NT" category is an arbitrary category, so I don't think you can use it to definite the Thinking function for what in actuality are four different "types of critters." Especially for the two where Thinking is subservient to N.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've no idea what Feelers' goals are, but I know I do relate in some way to what you say Murkrow in the OP, that it is indeed my goal to stop thinking, that total acceptance of reality and just working my way into it. Sorta like surveying a huge carpet from above, knowing I'm a thread that's got itself unravelled, wanting to figure out where to weave myself back in and then just stay there in my place, doing my job without thinking, without needing to think or needing anything. Just doing my job, like water.

"Blessed are you Lord in our sister Water, who is useful and precious and humble and chaste" - St Francis of Assisi

I believe the Tao Teh Ching says something similar.

That calm peacefulness that the Feelers have talked about is something I experience all the time... when there are no Feelers nearby! :laugh:

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Can you actually lump Te and Ti together like that? Especially for NTs where thinking is not dominant?

ENTJ = Te dom
INTJ = Ni dom, Te AUX
ENTP = Ne dom, Ti AUX
INTP = Ti dom

Thinking is not only different for each NT, but for two of them it's not even the dominant!

The "NT" category is an arbitrary category, so I don't think you can use it to definite the Thinking function for what in actuality are four different "types of critters." Especially for the two where Thinking is subservient to N.

I very much doubt the ability of N dominated NTs to come to a state of inner peace without first disarming their T.

The majority of my discussions on this topic have been with INTPs, and they agree.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I very much doubt the ability of N dominated NTs to come to a state of inner peace without first disarming their T.

Oh, a cogent argument.
I'm convinced.

The majority of my discussions on this topic have been with INTPs, and they agree.

Oh. Sorry, I forgot about the "appeal to authority" and "majority rules" concepts.
Carry on, of course. I humbly withdraw my foolish protest. ;)