• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The goal of T vs the goal of F

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've discussed the transcendence that NTs often achieve in the rational acceptance of all things and it seems to me that the goal of our thinking is actually to stop thinking.

I'm wondering how this relates to the realization of the F function, is it a state of constant deep yet calm feeling? Is there more to be satisfied?

It seems to me that NTs are more death obsessed than anything, our focus is on the absolute and undeniable so it makes sense that our culmination comes in a moment of semi death (the lack of insecure drive to experience more, know more, feel more).

If NT is death is NF life will the melancholy and self doubt that plagues NFs fall away in self realization tobe replaced with some extreme level of joie-de-vivre the same way an NT's sense of superiority wilts away to acceptance of cosmic placement?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thinking arrives at the calm by eliminating passion which leads to intensity. The effect of 'stopping thinking' that you mention is a result of elimination of passion as well. Passion is necessary to incite all action. If Feeling is repressed to a certain degree we will not even have enough energy to think. We will stop thinking as you have mentioned.

This is the explanation for how the aforementioned calm happens.

Feeling desires as intense of passion as possible. This is the opposite of calm.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Feeling desires as intense of passion as possible. This is the opposite of calm.

On what do you base this?
It seems to me that a lot of Feelers want peace and calm.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As for the OP. I'm not sure that I follow the premise. I don't think my goal is to stop Thinking. I consider Thinking a pass time, and a welcome pre-occupation. Mental oblivion is not something I'm looking forward to.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I've discussed the transcendence that NTs often achieve in the rational acceptance of all things and it seems to me that the goal of our thinking is actually to stop thinking.

It seems to me that NTs are more death obsessed than anything, our focus is on the absolute and undeniable so it makes sense that our culmination comes in a moment of semi death (the lack of insecure drive to experience more, know more, feel more).
What have you been smoking? The goal of an NT is to stop thinking? NTs are obsessed with death? Which type profiles have you been reading? Were they on a teenage-goth website? It makes sense that the culmination of an NT comes in the moment of semi-death!!?!

That's it, I am out of rhetorical questions, for now.

TrueHeart

MBTI Type
INFP
Feeling desires as intense of passion as possible.
Speaking as a DomFi, I do not believe that to be true, at least not in an absolute or general sense. Could you cite some authority? Thanks.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
My goal is to find the perfect cheeseburger.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Transcendence?

It's...revealing...that you link a state of profound psychospiritual awareness to something as oblique as the MBTI.

I'd follow it to conclusion. You'll find what you deserve.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Transcendence?

It's...revealing...that you link a state of profound psychospiritual awareness to something as oblique as the MBTI.

I'd follow it to conclusion. You'll find what you deserve.

Yeah. What Night said. I mean, he totally stole my answer, I was so about to say that.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah. What Night said. I mean, he totally stole my answer, I was so about to say that.

Hehehe. That made me laugh out loud.

Night, did people copy off of you in high school?

Sorry to be off topic. Here let me say something semi on topic:

Sometimes I prefer calm. Sometimes I prefer intensity of feeling.

This thread is kind of interesting.

T

ThatGirl

I am not sure if this is what you are referring to or not but I understand the not thinking thing in my own way. I am often reminded of the saying in the bible that says something along the lines of "you have come to know and believe in me because you have seen me. Blessed are they who have not seen who have not known and still believe." Again this is not a direct quote. I think that sometimes the ability to strip away the silver lining is an intense weakness for NT and it has been a goal of mine to control the thought process. I can't help but think that there is a world outside of the truth that could be beneficial to connect to. I, however, become controlled by my thoughts in which this is far from reality. At the same time when my thoughts are dulled, it can be increasingly frustrating to watch opportunity no matter how insignificant pass by without being mentally quick enough to grab it. Inevitably I find myself wanting to keep the NT character without being compelled by the over analytical ramblings. I question however if that can exist. Is the goal ultimate certainty?

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I am not sure if this is what you are referring to or not but I understand the not thinking thing in my own way. I am often reminded of the saying in the bible that says something along the lines of "you have come to know and believe in me because you have seen me. Blessed are they who have not seen who have not known and still believe." Again this is not a direct quote. I think that sometimes the ability to strip away the silver lining is an intense weakness for NT and it has been a goal of mine to control the thought process. I can't help but think that there is a world outside of the truth that could be beneficial to connect to. I, however, become controlled by my thoughts in which this is far from reality. At the same time when my thoughts are dulled, it can be increasingly frustrating to watch opportunity no matter how insignificant pass by without being mentally quick enough to grab it. Inevitably I find myself wanting to keep the NT character without being compelled by the over analytical ramblings. I question however if that can exist. Is the goal ultimate certainty?

I think the goal has more to do with awareness than certainty. Certainty seems pretty selfish and we can only be truly calm when we forget the self.

Forget might be the wrong word, destroy? abolish?

T

ThatGirl

What does certainty have to do with the self? I would think it would pretain more to truth. Although on a side note the only thing anyone can speak about with utmost certainty is the self. hmmm.....

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
When you accept there is no self, that is correct.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
"It doesn't matter...It doesn't matter why they're dressed as a tiger! Have they got my leg?!"

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
No, there is no self to be certain of.
Are you suggesting that people can't be certain of things which do not exist? I think that there are very many people who would contradict that claim.