• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] N v. S

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay, listen up all you people who believe that preferring Sensing means you do nothing BUT sense: If that were true, then the reverse would also be true. Everyone who prefers Intuition would be completely incapable of using their senses. That would mean if Ns try to move, their muscles wouldn't respond and they'd be like blind bats blundering around, bashing into everything. That would also mean that Ns are certainly not capable of playing sports, or reading (because that uses your eyesight), cooking, driving, walking, etc.. and they absolutely can't create art or play music, because that requires sensing, which You As An N Person Do Not Possess. In fact, the only thing Ns are capable of doing is sitting around daydreaming and philosophizing -- about purely abstract stuff, naturally. You wouldn't even be able to philosophize about art or music, because you wouldn't have the ability to sense and savor the art and music in the first place.

If that sounds stupid to you, then know that this is how utterly stupid it sounds to my mind to hear that I'm supposedly incapable of having abstract conversations.

Which is why I think it's far more reasonable to acknowledge that people enjoy both, and that very few people are extreme N or S, but that some people who prefer Sensing prefer not to talk about abstractions when there is stuff worth admiring and doing in the physical world around them, and the abstractions would only distract rather than intensify the experience.

I find it extremely annoying when I'm trying to concentrate on what I'm doing with my hands and someone's trying to have a conversation with me. I can't do both at once. Sure, I can have abstract "deep" conversations, but not when there's a lot worth noticing in the real world around me. Does that make sense?

Can I be your boyfriend?

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find it extremely annoying when I'm trying to concentrate on what I'm doing with my hands and someone's trying to have a conversation with me. I can't do both at once. Sure, I can have abstract "deep" conversations, but not when there's a lot worth noticing in the real world around me. Does that make sense?

I was counting some money when my friend (predominantly S) started rattling off random numbers... he was happy on two counts... first, it worked, and second I didn't murder him.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, listen up all you people who believe that preferring Sensing means you do nothing BUT sense

I don't think anyone actually believes that.

darkmoon

MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay, listen up all you people who believe that preferring Sensing means you do nothing BUT sense: If that were true, then the reverse would also be true. Everyone who prefers Intuition would be completely incapable of using their senses....

Yes of course what you are saying is true. Everyone actually has all the functions in their personality. It's just the order and dominance of them that makes certain things appear dominant about people - like Ns being more abstract than literal etc...

Also Se and Si are different. My Si dominant friends are into lists and details. My Se friends are into experiencing external reality.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
I would comment, but I don't want to sink to your level. I don't think this forum needs any more people who believe in type superiority. (honestly... that whole "we invented lightbulbs, they like lampshades" thing made me really mad. It would have made me mad no matter whose side the comment was on.)

I really think that the Op was quite insulting to sensors. I score around 80+ on intuition myself and at work I'm generally sorrounded by nf/nt types but God Im sick of them at the moment -Im tired of what feels like overanalysing everything and talking about 'deep and meaningful' issues and being so future orientated. At present my favourite people are the istp/esfp firends in my life who live for the moment, are often silly and know how to have a belly laugh - and would only about the weather if it was to make a daft comment about it or fill in with some small talk to put someone at ease.

This is not to say that nf/nt types can't do that (especially in my humble experience enfp/entp folk) but I think that we live much better lives when we can appreciate each other and the diversity of each type. :wubbie:

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I don't think anyone actually believes that.

Actually, I DO think people have psyched themselves into believing that. Sometimes I feel like distancing myself from not only this board but from psychological type itself, given the stupidity of the comments about Sensing. Do you have any idea what it's like to be permanently pissed off at what's written about your type? Or do you just pretend all of this doesn't exist?

Let me guess -- you just pretend it doesn't exist, or you pretend you're dumb (when you're clearly not) in order to amuse people.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Actually, I DO think people have psyched themselves into believing that. Sometimes I feel like distancing myself from not only this board but from psychological type itself, given the stupidity of the comments about Sensing. Do you have any idea what it's like to be permanently pissed off at what's written about your type? Or do you just pretend all of this doesn't exist?

Let me guess -- you just pretend it doesn't exist, or you pretend you're dumb (when you're clearly not) in order to amuse people.

Sarah - Im beginning to share your frustration - the two people who I have had the longest and most 'meaningful' (whatever the chuff that means!) conversations with in my life were my estj Dad and istp husband and having spent years in academia they still rate as two of the most intelligent people I have ever met - stereotyping people is very unintelligent and I'm sure is not what Jung hoped his work would be used for :shock:

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I really think that the Op was quite insulting to sensors...

This is not to say that nf/nt types can't do that (especially in my humble experience enfp/entp folk) but I think that we live much better lives when we can appreciate each other and the diversity of each type. :wubbie:

I agree. The original post was EXTREMELY insulting to people who prefer Sensing, SFPs in particular. I will never understand this need some people have for criticizing a type code based on the prevailing negative steretypes of that type code, rather than criticizing individuals. Like I've said before, I don't think anybody here would be able to correctly guess my type if I didn't mention in my profile and my posts that I'm an ISFP. So all the stupidity that's written about SFPs doesn't make sense when it comes to actual SFPs who aren't total idiots.

I don't understand what's so difficult about type that makes it so impossible for people to "get" such simple concepts? I'm sick of seeing posts written by people who are still mentally in preschool when it comes to understanding what type PREFERENCES really mean.

Sarah - Im beginning to share your frustration - the two people who I have had the longest and most 'meaningful' (whatever the chuff that means!) conversations with in my life were my estj Dad and istp husband and having spent years in academia they still rate as two of the most intelligent people I have ever met - stereotyping people is very unintelligent and I'm sure is not what Jung hoped his work would be used for :shock:

No, I bet Jung would be horrified by a lot of what gets discussed concerning type.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I agree. The original post was EXTREMELY insulting to people who prefer Sensing, SFPs in particular. I will never understand this need some people have for criticizing a type code based on the prevailing negative steretypes of that type code, rather than criticizing individuals. Like I've said before, I don't think anybody here would be able to correctly guess my type if I didn't mention in my profile and my posts that I'm an ISFP. So all the stupidity that's written about SFPs doesn't make sense when it comes to actual SFPs who aren't total idiots.

I don't understand what's so difficult about type that makes it so impossible for people to "get" such simple concepts? I'm sick of seeing posts written by people who are still mentally in preschool when it comes to understanding what type PREFERENCES really mean.

No, I bet Jung would be horrified by a lot of what gets discussed concerning type.

Stereotyping is required for efficiency. Always basing opinions on individuals is inefficient and illogical.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Stereotyping is required for efficiency. Always basing opinions on individuals is inefficient and illogical.

Well, then I'm finished with talking about type with you, the OP, and everyone else like you both. Stereotyping is only "efficient" if you don't mind being wrong most of the time, and it's stupid and illogical to hold on to bigoted beliefs that only serve to temporarily make you feel good about yourself and that that have nothing to do with the real world.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
Stereotyping is logical? Sorry???? How??????

Think it was a joke.

Either way, have to hold my nose due to the politically correct stench that has wafted over this thread.

If you want to rant because you think someone said intuitives can't see, touch, hear, taste, or smell, or that sensors are biologically unable to understand Voltaire, then go ahead if it makes you feel better, but it takes all the substance out of an interesting discussion and turns it into an after school special.

Also, everyone who's ever written about Jung and MBTI in terms of goal setting, connecting with others, and job selection has also talked about the importance of development of each function, regardless of what 4 letters you use to describe yourself. Let's not be silly and reduce everything to absurd arguments in order to sound holier than everyone else.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
"After school special!" Good one. :smile:

Once again. In spite of our desire for one correct answer, the answer is usually not either/or, and more commonly in the world of people, both/and.

*The tired old, English teacher says, "It's more a case of compare and contrast."*

Hey! THAT'S why you were asked to do all those blasted essays. Snap! :cheese:

Frank

Mayb s really stands for sensitive! J/k. :hug: Look I read your rants on the artist thread or maybe it was this one, and while perfectly legitimate I have to say who gives a shit. isfp's not artists, obviously thats a laugh as they are more likely to be artisitic than any other type imo. But thats the point it is all opinion. Be comfortable enough in knowing who you are that you don't have to convince others of it who differ in OPINION.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Mayb s really stands for sensitive! J/k. :hug: Look I read your rants on the artist thread or maybe it was this one, and while perfectly legitimate I have to say who gives a shit. isfp's not artists, obviously thats a laugh as they are more likely to be artisitic than any other type imo. But thats the point it is all opinion. Be comfortable enough in knowing who you are that you don't have to convince others of it who differ in OPINION.

I thought Sarah was expressing an opinion.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I thought Sarah was expressing an opinion.

Yeah, apparently, only those opinions that can't in any way be dismissed just being "politically correct rants" are okay.

:shock:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There's a person I've talked to lately about something that's somewhat abstract, and I'm not sure if Sensors would struggle with it or not. This person tested as S, and figuring this out might tell me whether they really are, or are just a rather depressed N of some kind.

What I talked about is how people's potential is limited mostly by the values they accept, and that most of those choices are motivated by either fear or desire. We even talked about how guilt is just another form of fear of being disliked. I told them that the major difference between us, since she was an ISFJ and I was an INFJ, should be that she sees things in terms of how they have been, and I see them in terms of how they will be. She agreed, but said that it might have something to do with the fact that she had no future to look forward to, being at the point of life she's at (39 years old).

She actually asked, "If you don't use your past and what you've been as a frame of reference, what do you use?" I responded "I use where I'm going as my frame of reference. The future." She seemed to understand that response, and agreed that it was a difference.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The whole point of this place is to understand each other better, not gouge eyes.

And furthermore, I don't get the argument that Ss and Ns don't have common ground. No one deserves bigoted contempt.

However, there *are* going to be some unpopular opinions here. ENFJs were the Big Red Devil when I first arrived, but I'm glad I stayed. I've met a lot of interesting people.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
The whole point of this place is to understand each other better, not gouge eyes.

And furthermore, I don't get the argument that Ss and Ns don't have common ground. No one deserves bigoted contempt.

However, there *are* going to be some unpopular opinions here. ENFJs were the Big Red Devil when I first arrived, but I'm glad I stayed. I've met a lot of interesting people.

I can't understand how anyone could dislike ENFJs or have issues with them because they are so good at diplomacy and genuine empathy. But maybe it's just that I find them irresistable.

I consider myself lucky to be married to one. :D