• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] N v. S

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I dunno, I reckon Mave was just sorta exaggerating a stereotype case in order to illustrate and highlight the main differences. Of course very few people are walking stereotypes so it goes without saying...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's good you bumped this topic though, I'd forgotten how BRILLIANT my responses were. :cool:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like this board, but sometimes Ns can be very annoying about getting to the point too. They ask really vague questions when they want to know about solutions to very specific problems. For example, an opening post might ask about why ESFPs are flighty, but a few posts later the real question would turn out to be "How do I get this ESFP to pay attention to me?". (An exaggeration, but common phenomenon.)

Rachelinpa said:
Example. I asked this ESTJ to tell me about his friend...

ME: "Tell me what your best friend is like!"

HIM: "You always ask me this! I can't describe people... I can tell you where they are from and what they do, but I don't think that's what you want to know..."

I'm an evil sensor and I have the same conversations with my ESTJ friend (maybe all ESTJs just are bad at concisely getting to the essence of the story). :laugh: The Si just spews out summarizing fact, fact, fact (resume facts, no less). Whereas I start off with the most important categorization and follow up with key facts supporting this conclusion (Probably more a Ti-thing).

Last edited:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
The beating around the bush habit you describe Colors is actually for a reason... I just can't get my head into articulating it at the moment but I'll have another go later lol

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maverick makes plenty of sense, but unless the stereotype is intentional I don't think Sensors are being given enough credit.

Word. It made all the S types sound like a bunch of shallow whiners. But that's what generalizations like that do, right? I mean, it got to the essence of S and N, but... I dunno. I guess I agree with Substitute. Although we kind of have an N overload here (no offense to you guys - I just wish things were more balanced. The SJ Guardhouse always seems pretty empty).

Oh, and Colors? You're totally right about ESTJs. We have kind of a hard time getting to the point quickly, because we feel like all the facts are equally cool/relevant. We're not good journalists, I guess, like you Ti-types who instinctually follow that journalistic rule: start off with your main point and sort your info from most important to least important as you go.

(Evil Sensors... LOL. :D)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
to the OP: an intelligent person of any type, N or S, shouldn't have any problem conversing with a person of another type, it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out how to approach a conversation. Whining just makes it sound like you just can't figure out how to talk to an S, which is kind of sad ;)

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh, and Colors? You're totally right about ESTJs. We have kind of a hard time getting to the point quickly, because we feel like all the facts are equally cool/relevant. We're not good journalists, I guess, like you Ti-types who instinctually follow that journalistic rule: start off with your main point and sort your info from most important to least important as you go.

(Evil Sensors... LOL. :D)

:laugh: Well the good thing about not starting off with your main point- is that your mind can still change. It's a more open approach that includes dissenting members of the audience into the conversation. I mean when you start off with the statement: "Connecticut is the best place ever."- you've probably already alienated anyone who thinks differently. It's all or nothing.

Whereas if you start off with "Connecticut has good pancakes"- if they agree- even if they disagree with your ultimate conclusion, you've won at least a little ground.

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
:laugh: Well the good thing about not starting off with your main point- is that your mind can still change. It's a more open approach that includes dissenting members of the audience into the conversation. I mean when you start off with the statement: "Connecticut is the best place ever."- you've probably already alienated anyone who thinks differently. It's all or nothing.

Whereas if you start off with "Connecticut has good pancakes"- if they agree- even if they disagree with your ultimate conclusion, you've won at least a little ground.

Interesting! I wonder if Ns have a tendency to reason from general to specific and Ss from specific to general (or vice versa)?

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
We invent lightbulbs....they like lampshades. It is an evolutionary division that hasnt manifested...in the future s/i babies catch fire in the womb. Seriously....worker ants are as essential as the masterminds. How can we be masters w/o them. Scales have two balances.....counterweight.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
But I don't agree with the lampshade. Maybe just for me. It's a more creative thing.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Who the hell needs lampshades. What a poor analogy. Lampshades hinder the lighting purpose of lights!

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
The light's too bright without a lampshade. How about a well placed shawl, huh?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
You didn't have to respond, yes please go get some some coffee. Or sleep.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No shit...how very "s" of you to point that out. :coffee: I'm done with this thread...no offense.

I would comment, but I don't want to sink to your level. I don't think this forum needs any more people who believe in type superiority. (honestly... that whole "we invented lightbulbs, they like lampshades" thing made me really mad. It would have made me mad no matter whose side the comment was on.)

Anyways, don't go dissing lampshades -S types or N types! They make the light pretty and (often) colored! They add charm to a room when decorating! I mean, how boring is a plain lightbulb in a socket, especially when you can't even look at the damn thing because it's too bright?

Speaking of lights, in response to Sunshine's comment on page 5, I think in words, but when I'm talking my thoughts get jumbled up a bit. That's why I'm more eloquent on paper than in speech.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
THIS THREAD IS GETTING ENTIRELY TOO SILLY!

Graham_Chapman_Colonel.jpg

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
I would comment, but I don't want to sink to your level. I don't think this forum needs any more people who believe in type superiority. (honestly... that whole "we invented lightbulbs, they like lampshades" thing made me really mad. It would have made me mad no matter whose side the comment was on.)

Anyways, don't go dissing lampshades -S types or N types! They make the light pretty and (often) colored! They add charm to a room when decorating! I mean, how boring is a plain lightbulb in a socket, especially when you can't even look at the damn thing because it's too bright?

Speaking of lights, in response to Sunshine's comment on page 5, I think in words, but when I'm talking my thoughts get jumbled up a bit. That's why I'm more eloquent on paper than in speech.

Lighten up Francis...was just jerkin your chain.:devil: You "s" types are so sensitive.:hug:

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
But you know what's interesting? People always use religion as being a go-to "deep and philosophical" topic. It's like impossible to find something abstract in talking about the weather.

excuuuse me. I'm a meteorology major. :D There's tone's abstract to talk about the weather.