• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] N v. S

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
What?

1) I said nothing about mandatory regulations, or regulations, or anything even close to that. You introduced this concept, and I don't see how it applied then, or now.

LOL, can't you at least stand by your claims?

you were the one who asked "isn't that what you do" in reference to telling companies what to do, showing your confusion between being paid to do so and being told to do so, but now you won't stand by what you said and have resorted to fishing around for studies from 1981

here's one that's a bit more recent, 76% of Accounting Majors in this study showed up as "S", also found strong STJ preference among Accounting professors

http://www.aejournal.com/ojs/index.php/aej/article/viewFile/37/37

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
LOL, can't you at least stand by your claims?

When I make them, I stand by or correct them. I don't stand by what you inject into the conversation.

you were the one who asked "isn't that what you do" in reference to telling companies what to do, showing your confusion between being paid to do so and being told to do so,

I never "told" anyone to do anything - you injected that into the conversation. I was perfectly clear that I considered you or the company using a test in a discriminatory manner to be unethical. It never had anything to do with being 'forced'.

What you said:

But not as unethical as telling privately-owned companies what types of skills they have to hire for.

And you had just run an example where you said they should replace an entire department/team with a different skillset. I was confused why you would call something you did as less ethical. I continue to have no idea why this was relevant at all - none of the conversation was ever about "forcing" a company. The best interpretation is that by not codifying your prejudices and 'forcing the company', it is making what you do ethical. If that is what you mean, I hold nothing by contempt for your business practices - it is a little different than 'nudge wink' glass ceilings.

Regardless, while I think it is... dubious... to discriminate the way you do, I don't find it severe as there is no tangible breach of an ethical standard - you'd have to use the test, or be a registered practitioner to have done that.

but now you won't stand by what you said and have resorted to fishing around for studies from 1981

And you fish around for justification for your prejudices and desperately look at ways to preserve your world view.

here's one that's a bit more recent, 76% of Accounting Majors in this study showed up as "S", also found strong STJ preference among Accounting professors

Not surprisingly, that's pretty close to the overall population of Ss. The problem is in your interpretation - you take these things and act as if it justifies your practices. It doesn't. Not only does MBTI expressly state that using it as a measure of ability is not appropriate, and not only is it a poor instrument for doing anything of the sort due to sub factor differences, but the studies themselves are telling you just how unimportant this trait is relative to others.

Nat

MBTI Type
INFJ
Stunning, this is rare, usually firms don't like to discuss this. I've seen companies bias against Ps for disorganization and Fs for lack of ability with facts and figures, but I would never recommend they do this.

I know, I was pretty surprised they admitted it since it does seem to be somewhat discriminatory.

Depends on the type of consulting. ENFJs are one the most common Fs in business, and generally get on well with the ENTXs who dominate strategic consulting firms, and can advance in these firms because their people skills are usually better than the ENTs. Often, the ENFJs have better business development skills than the ENTs, which is usually the most important skill required to advance in a larger consulting firm. But they also need a strategy to deal with the ENTs who are likely to be very well-informed and disrespecting of others who aren't. ENFJs are also outstanding in HR (not payroll or compensation, but HR strategy) consulting.

Anecdotally, I know an ENFJ who used to work for one of the brand name consultancies, and was extremely popular there, and was promoted quickly. She worked well with clients, everyone used to comment on how nice she was, and she came across as very "real", i.e. not having any sort of facade.

Nice to know! :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As an ENFJ, I have to believe in what I'm promoting or my conscience destroys my ability to "sell". I'm not sure how I'd fare in a corporate environment. I *did* do plenty to promote my group of mechanics, but I was acting voice of the whole and it was my duty to see that our opinions met the right ears.

I did really well with female clients because they wanted someone they could trust not to bilk them. As a woman, they automatically relied on me to be straight with them about their cars, and make sure they weren't being overcharged.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
Regardless, while I think it is... dubious... to discriminate the way you do, I don't find it severe as there is no tangible breach of an ethical standard - you'd have to use the test, or be a registered practitioner to have done that.

Funny, I back up my 70-90% claim, and realizing that you're wrong, you resort to whining about "stereotypes" and "prejudice" as if we're talking about race relations, not business.

So say what you want about MBTI, preferences, or IQ, no executive I know would ever hire you.

If you weren't so caught up in presenting everything in such a limp dick, academic manner, you'd realize that you don't need personality tests, "registered practioners", or other waste-of-time nonsense to apply job preferences in a business environment. You just need common sense, but it's very clear you don't have any of that.

heart

heart on fire
Pure unqualified opinion: I think there's one thing about a message board on MBTI. Extreme N people are driven crazy by their interactions with others in the world (no matter which side the 'blame' is on) and go seeking an answer, so they tend to be and stay here in a larger number and the S who come here tend to be S who have more balance between S and N so they really don't understand the complaints made by extreme N people about the world they interact with. It's just going to be something the two sides have trouble seeing eye to eye.

The S who come and stay here just tend to be those with good balance between S and N because an extreme S person would not come to a message board like this because the topic is so abstract, it just wouldn't interest them and even if they did come here, they wouldn't be interested enough to stay.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The S who come and stay here just tend to be those with good balance between S and N because an extreme S person would not come to a message board like this because the topic is so abstract, it just wouldn't interest them and even if they did come here, they wouldn't be interested enough to stay.

I stay because the people here feed my ever-hungry Attention-Eating Monster. :devil:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Funny, I back up my 70-90% claim, and realizing that you're wrong, you resort to whining about "stereotypes" and "prejudice" as if we're talking about race relations, not business.

So say what you want about MBTI, preferences, or IQ, no executive I know would ever hire you.

If you weren't so caught up in presenting everything in such a limp dick, academic manner, you'd realize that you don't need personality tests, "registered practioners", or other waste-of-time nonsense to apply job preferences in a business environment. You just need common sense, but it's very clear you don't have any of that.

Hrmmm... all this personal judging from someone who doesn't even know me... it hurts me... hurts me to my core. I wonder what you based your "executive hiring" on this time, hmmm? Anyway, the problem wasn't so much with stereotypes, but your methods of justifying them and the inaccuracies you have. Kind of like you lashing out with personal attacks and talking trash, having no idea how silly it would be if you did know me.