• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] A question regarding ENTJ men and relationship boundaries

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There's an ENTJ guy I've been friends with for over 4 years. We used to talk on the phone frequently, and for hours at a time. We have many similar interests, so talking was very easy. I suspected that he had a romantic interest in me, but I didn't say or do anything to bring that subject forward because he was already seeing someone else, and I assumed that he would say something to me if he wanted to go past friendship with me. So, I hadn't heard from him in awhile as he's been very busy at work, so I decided to call him a few days ago. The first thing he gave me was an apology for being absent, and I told him it was perfectly alright because I was sure he was being run ragged at work. Then he said, " Well yes, but that's not entirely it. I've been avoiding calling you because every time I get on the phone with you, it makes me question my relationship with XXXX - your sweet and beautiful and you understand me. So we can't talk anymore, but we can email." I asked him why he hadn't said something to me sooner, and he said he thought his feelings for me " were understood". I wasn't aware that he wanted to do anything about how he felt about me, because he made no hints at any point of breaking up with the girlfriend. He told me emphatically that he was going to be a good friend to me, and that we could email, but that he basically couldn't talk voice to voice with me anymore.

So my question is this - why tell me this now, when he's in the least capable position to do anything about it, and why does he continue with a relationship that he's not thrilled with? ( I do suspect that she's a practical ISTJ type ) Why tell me that I'm a dream girl and then cut me off? I guess I'm not working in his mental view of what he wants to accomplish in the future?

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Honor. He has built himself commitments which he can't break for simple personal gratification.

His idealized self will be injured more in the breaking of an oath than in the forsaking of a potentially prosperous relationship.

Frankly I think his calculations are a little off, but I don't know the specifics of his relationship.

Without knowing him better it's difficult to say how capable you'd be of taking him from her, but it's definitely possible.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
NTJ= loyalty, honor, commitment.

Makes us asshats at times too.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

One of the reasons why I wouldn't mind having one that's still free and healthy. But, one thing at a time as I work on coming across as worth it.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
One of the reasons why I wouldn't mind having one that's still free and healthy. But, one thing at a time as I work on coming across as worth it.

Elaborate, kind sir.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Some possibilities:

1. Girlfriend could be jealous of talking on the phone, but he (or she) doesn't want to disclose that.
  2. He simply wanted to be completely open and honest with you about why he hasn't kept in touch, even though he can't or doesn't want to change his current relationship any.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Elaborate, kind sir.

I want this in a partner and I have these qualities my self, but I still have to be worth the person's time. I feel I am, but that don't do a heck of a lot of good unless she sees me as that as well.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I want this in a partner and I have these qualities my self, but I still have to be worth the person's time. I feel I am, but that don't do a heck of a lot of good unless she sees me as that as well.

I guess that is the part I wanted you to say more about.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm reasonably healthy and mature, as much as I like being held I need my time out doing other things as well. There's also the way I handle the gooey bits that a few other threads have talked about that I want to provide a safe place for. Anyway, now that it's out I'll likely scare away anyone who thought of coming close. *sigh*

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Honor. He has built himself commitments which he can't break for simple personal gratification.

His idealized self will be injured more in the breaking of an oath than in the forsaking of a potentially prosperous relationship.

Frankly I think his calculations are a little off, but I don't know the specifics of his relationship.

Without knowing him better it's difficult to say how capable you'd be of taking him from her, but it's definitely possible.

That's what I suspected, the whole "I'm already committed to XYZ now and I can't back out." What's odd to me about this is that I never once pushed him for a romantic relationship. Actually, if you would be amenable to speaking in private, I'd like to discuss this more with you. I just don't feel right about saying too much about him in a public forum.

Could you elaborate on that a bit more? Shouldn't loyalty and commitment have prevented him from confessing to me in the first place? And, isn't what he's doing now technically disloyal?

Some possibilities:

1. Girlfriend could be jealous of talking on the phone, but he (or she) doesn't want to disclose that.
  2. He simply wanted to be completely open and honest with you about why he hasn't kept in touch, even though he can't or doesn't want to change his current relationship any.

Oh, she's made it plain that she doesn't like me. Not that I blame her - if my boyfriend were behaving the way he is, then I'd be upset too. No, scratch that. I wouldn't be with him anymore.

I see your point about the honesty, but doesn't it seem like he could've told me some kind of believable half truth, like being busy at work, and then we could have remained in the friendship holding pattern? It seems to me that confessing to me caused him a lot more trouble than keeping it to himself.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I see your point about the honesty, but doesn't it seem like he could've told me some kind of believable half truth, like being busy at work, and then we could have remained in the friendship holding pattern? It seems to me that confessing to me caused him a lot more trouble than keeping it to himself.

Indeed. I refer you to murkow's point about the possibility of taking him from her. :D

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
This whole thing is just his Ni going haywire.

He knows where he'll go if he keeps talking to you, and his hubris makes him think he knows better than his intuitions.

He needs a good kick in the head.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
Could you elaborate on that a bit more? Shouldn't loyalty and commitment have prevented him from confessing to me in the first place? And, isn't what he's doing now technically disloyal?

Could be a more E thing vs myself as I'm an I, as I might just keep it inside in respect to all. Confessing though can get a lot of your chest, problem is I don't think it did the trick as he is obviously conflicted with his NTJ to his current SO towards possibly a much stronger N attraction to you.

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Indeed. I refer you to murkow's point about the possibility of taking him from her. :D

So is THAT what he's doing? Putting a shot across my bow? I'm not sure how he expects me to accomplish that, knowing that I'm sick.

This whole thing is just his Ni going haywire.

He knows where he'll go if he keeps talking to you, and his hubris makes him think he knows better than his intuitions.

He needs a good kick in the head.

Ahhh. So he perceives himself to be walking through a minefield by speaking to me, only a minefield he thinks he might be able to navigate? I have to wonder why I'm such a pitfall if his situation is as he had it planned. Unless I wasn't part of the plan, perhaps.

Could be a more E thing vs myself as I'm an I, as I might just keep it inside in respect to all. Confessing though can get a lot off your chest, problem is I don't think it did the trick as he is obviously conflicted with his NTJ to his current SO towards possibly a much stronger N attraction to you.

This is very clarifying. :) I have an INTJ guy friend, and sometimes I can see him internally exploding, but saying very little. He's so transparent to me, though. I can tell when he's upset even when he's stony faced.