• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP: To hug or hit?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I started to answer this, but I found I just had more and more and more to say about it until the post would've taken up like two pages or something, and since I figure this forum's probably running short on patience for me with the long posts lately, I've decided to store what I would've posted on my blog. So, if you want to read it, go here.

Thank you for your answer :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does it help at all?

It does, it sheds some light, and it shows me even more that ENFPs and ENTPs do things very similarly, with one big difference, so I'm very grateful for your contribution. And although I already knew what that difference was in theory, it's interesting to see concretely how it gets applied. FWIW, that's not what I meant with letting go, but I can see how you would interpret it that way.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
It does, it sheds some light, and it shows me even more that ENFPs and ENTPs do things very similarly, with one big difference, so I'm very grateful for your contribution. And although I already knew what that difference was in theory, it's interesting to see concretely how it gets applied. FWIW, that's not what I meant with letting go, but I can see how you would interpret it that way.

Well that's good - it kinda helped me actually to write it lol Helped crystalize some things in my head that I've been trying to think on more specifically lately :)

So, what did you mean?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
sooo?
should we hug them then ?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Simulate a substitute

The original post that bears repeating:
So I’ve noticed in some of my interactions with (immature) ENTPs that the nicer I am the more abrasive and shocking they appear to be but once I get a little nasty they respect what I’m saying and are more co-operative, is this the case?

What is the best way to make an ENTP stop and reassess their actions when they are out of line?

This post was then followed by a cadre of silly and semi-informative posts that covered things like "golly heck fires" and "sexual abuse" --one of mine included, as well as substitute's >>
Hit!!! Hit, hit, hit, hit!!! By the time you're done with your Mr Burns routine with your vitamin D defficient, translucent-blue arms, I'll be so paralyzed with laughter you'll be able to do ANYTHING with me!
So shall I be deliberately obtuse and interpret ^this literally as well? (I'd rather not.)

OK guys, be brutally honest here. I'm not going to argue with you or get upset...(I'm used to it.)

What thoughts, words, descriptions and feelings come to mind when you think ENTP? Please no answers from ENTPs themselves--I want the outside world's view looking in.
Or, how about ^this show-stopper?

Given that your asinine replies are just Ra-ra-ra'ing substitute's complaint about a tongue-in-cheek post (Did the hokey pictures not give it away guys? Were you wounded in the verbal volley?) several months old; all I can conclude is you got the excuse for the rant you clearly wanted by lumping truth with comedy, individuals with groups, and let the angerball fly.

Not ranting you say?

I don't need to assume that INFJs are assuming; they're too busy battering me with their emotional assumptions about my motivations for me to think it's anything else. Sound familiar?

In all seriousness, I know ENTPs do obnoxious things too, but this one particular INFJ behavior is borderline infuriating. Cut it out, ASAP. kthx

You say "borderline infuriating" - is that a euphemism for "I'd rather bury myself in an anthill and smear strawberry jelly in my eyes than be subjected to another second of this"? :cheese:

Pretty much. Here comes some asshole INFJ to invent an entire emotional backstory for this minor expression of emotion and then swallow his (or HER...) own bathwater until he finally convinces himself it's true.

They're often reminiscent of INTJs, who can be sloppy in their search for technical efficiency and end up ignoring or prematurely dismissing legitimate alternate possibilities or explanations for logical problems...INFJs just do it with their reads on the emotional motivations of others instead.

In both cases it's a little disconcerting, but at least when INTJs do it they aren't flat out obnoxious. Can't say the same for their INFJ buddies, I'm afraid. And you thought ENTPs were arrogant!

(And this is coming from a guy who likes most INFJs!)

Everyone rants, just fess up instead of winding up. At least you weren't lambasting whole groups of people based on your negative experiences with a few...

oopstherecomesasmile.jpg

You guys are hilaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarious on the whole.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Everyone rants, just fess up instead of winding up. At least you weren't lambasting whole groups of people based on your negative experiences with a few...

Sure, I was ranting. In the process, I was actually though, "lambasting" a style of behaviour and implicitly thereby, the people I've known who typify it. If you wish to extend that into implying that I'm also lambasting all those who display it, whether I've met them or not, then that's fine. And if you want to extend that further still into taking it personally, on behalf of your INFJ siblings-in-humanity - well. if the cap fits... :alttongue:

You guys are hilaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarious on the whole.

We aim to amuse :coffee:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
IME, the best way to shut up an ENTP is to hug them yes :coffee:

O

Oberon

Mmm...I recognize a lot of this. I share your views on judging others and your dislike of being judged. It's maybe the detached part that confuses me with ENTPs. You never seem to relax and let go and put your faith in the other, who you say you consider your friend. Like you are indeed constantly aware that they might wrong you at some point. I've also known ENTPs that judge quite harshly, though granted, they were unhealthy ones, probably. Almost, as if they were to retaliate for being judged themselves by the world. A defense mechanism, if you will.

Well, yes... but that's what enables us to be the self-sufficient MacGyvers of relationships. Even the healthy ENTPs know how to cut their losses and go with what works. ENTPs probably would make good drifters...

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I don't think everyone in this thread is in a :hug: mood, bear. :(

We could create our own causal ouroboros.
I'd hug you because you huged me, you'd hug me because i huged you and we'd have long talks about the chicken or the egg paradox.

Qre:us

We could create our own causal ouroboros.
I'd hug you because you huged me, you'd hug me because i huged you and we'd have long talks about the chicken or the egg paradox.

Ah...but whose hug will come first?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, they know where to find us if they are in dire need of a hug :coffee:

Of course...that means fessing up to actually wanting to be hugged...:devil:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can we please get back to the real reason for this thread?

Hugs. Sexy naked hugs.

B

ByMySword

For that to be true, there's got to be some kind of exceptional circumstances going on there, cos I guarantee you, if you're frank and open with anything but the most unhealthy of ENTP's, they will reciprocate the gesture.

I'm not doubting these communication problems. What I was talking about was giving the benefit of the doubt. I let comments go, and gave the benefit of the doubt that this person didn't mean them in the way they sometimes came across. This gesture was not given in return. I was apparently always "out to get them" in some way. :shock:

That being said, the scenario you provided is very accurate. But the assumptions made concerning the communication problems themselves were handled completely different. Had the tendency to cause more problems than it solved.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I told a close ENTP friend that I was going to mail him a CD I made for him. He told me to drive it over. All 200 miles of it. I sense a trap. Not that I mind.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I told a close ENTP friend that I was going to mail him a CD I made for him. He told me to drive it over. All 200 miles of it. I sense a trap. Not that I mind.

It's not really a trap if you put his teeth in your own neck.