• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP: To hug or hit?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Wait. I don't know what to do. I've already hit, do I hug now or hit again? I'm so confused.

Hit!!! Hit, hit, hit, hit!!! By the time you're done with your Mr Burns routine with your vitamin D defficient, translucent-blue arms, I'll be so paralyzed with laughter you'll be able to do ANYTHING with me!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hit!!! Hit, hit, hit, hit!!! By the time you're done with your Mr Burns routine with your vitamin D defficient, translucent-blue arms, I'll be so paralyzed with laughter you'll be able to do ANYTHING with me!

HEY! "Mr Burns routine" Grrr *flexes muscles and pouts... curses pacifist beliefs*

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
If they don't reciprocate, this bores me even more, so I have the urge to step things up a bit.

What happens if they ignore you or roll your eyes at you? :evil:

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
How do ENTPs usually act when they get drunk, in your experience? I've found that I'm just more friendly, still lucid, and can't walk in a straight line.

Potion of +10 Impishness

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd rather be hit than hugged- I hate being hugged :dry:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
*Sees Uber's desperate cry for love and drops in to lay a hug on him*

:hug:

astroidea

MBTI Type
ENTP
Way before I ever heard of MBTI, I remember telling someone, "I want to be able to say what I think and still have everyone love me anyway." I think that is classic ENTP.

When I blurt out something like "Bananas are disgusting." I 99% believe it and assume I must be right. However, I am very open to the idea that there's a possibility I'm not. My comment is an unconscious invitation to you to tell me something new and fascinating that I didn't know about bananas that will interest me or change my mind, like "Bananas actually caused the French Revolution," with back up facts, of course.

As I got older, I realized that this is a unique communication style and not universally loved. So I now try to be more aware of the group I'm with and think before I blurt out something. Still, sometimes I forget and blurt out "Bananas are disgusting." People who know me well know I'm really saying "Right now, bananas are disgusting to me."

Even now, I would easily engage in a spirited debate about bananas with you because to me it would be a fun, intellectual tennis match. But, here's the thing. Any ENTP believes that he will win any debate, ruthlessly, if necessary. A good way to end off the debate would be "You have not convinced me, but I will think about what you have said." That response is respectful to give and receive.

You can always learn more about ENTP strengths and put your focus there, looking for ways to bring out the best in your ENTP. Some martial arts teach practioners to use the attacker's own strength against him. I am not saying to use their strengths to thwart them, but to move the relationship away from being irritating to you. If a colleague came up to me and said, "Hey you're good at this and I need help with it." I would be inordinately pleased -- and actually respect them more for realizing it.

Often ENTPs have a vision; what is his vision? Can you help him see how he can utilize your strengths to help him achieve that vision.

These options are more work for you, but will guide the ENTP toward maturity and balance.

Bottom line: hit them with a hug

How old are you now? Do you feel pretty well accomplished in reaching your goal of being able to say what you want and still be liked for it?

I used to not care much about that actually.
I followed the saying.. say what you want, and do what you want because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
But lately, I fell a very strong urge to be universally liked, and now my bluntness has really tried to turn to tactfulness.

It didn't work out too well for me though. Being tactful just seem so awkward to me that when I do it, it just comes off awkward too.

You really hit the nail on the head about invitation to get something new and inviting by blurting out something that you feel like most people would disagree with, but yet you feel like you have your reasons to go against the crowd. It's like, I have so many reasons to believe so and so, but I know the crowd believes the contrary, I would like them to enlighten me in why my reasonings are wrong.. if they can that is... and if they can't, well they should follow my reasonings, since I have reason.
But slowly, I realized that this often just pisses people off. I think this is when I realized about the concept of the ego. I felt like often, there would be people I'm used to arguing with that we would end up feeling like we absolutely need to disagree with each other, just for the sake of saving our egos. When we bring up points to each other, we'd immediately, and naturally, just come up with ways to think of how wrong each other is.
It's like we get blinded from each other's views.

And on the contrary, haven't you noticed that when you agree with someone, they'll try their damned hardest to agree with you also? It's like they're blinded from our own views and we can only agree. It works both ways!

I'm still trying to figure out that middle ground where you can be yourself and not be influenced by the ego.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always find myself nodding when I read Terian's posts.

ENTPs test. They push. They challenge. Their attitude is "all humor is a risk" and they're willing to risk a lot.

Push back and you win their respect. Too much hugging is boring to an ENTP.

Wow. That is positively repellant. :cringes:

:grumbles: ...compatible my arse...

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Heh, my ENTP boss can be annoying and offensive sometimes. I usually don't take it so seriously though.

An example would be him asking me a question then saying "You have no idea, right?" or "You wouldn't know much about this, huh?" before I can even answer the damn question. Maybe this is an obnoxious manifestation of Ne at work?

Sometimes his Ne is surgically on point about me, usually about my character. But when he presumes to know about my capabilities, he's usually waaaaaaay off the mark.

ENTPs are brilliant at improvising though, so working with him is usually fun. INFJ+ENTP = pretty good team.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Heh, my ENTP boss can be annoying and offensive sometimes. I usually don't take it so seriously though.

An example would be him asking me a question then saying "You have no idea, right?" or "You wouldn't know much about this, huh?" before I can even answer the damn question. Maybe this is an obnoxious manifestation of Ne at work?

Sometimes his Ne is surgically on point about me, usually about my character. But when he presumes to know about my capabilities, he's usually waaaaaaay off the mark.

ENTPs are brilliant at improvising though, so working with him is usually fun. INFJ+ENTP = pretty good team.

Don't be so caught off balance by a remark an ENTP makes about your character. A lot of the time it can be an attack on your character. It's an Fe thing, not an Ne thing. I've had some ESFjs (FeSi) make comments about my character, but mostly they were just attacking. It's always good to really think about whatever is said about your character cons and pros, just to make sure that they're not trying to trick you into believing what they say, so that they have control over you ;).