• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP: To hug or hit?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah digest, but we don't really differ there at all lol that's pretty much what I was saying but I said it differently :laugh:

I was saying I'm now aware that I'm trying to get reactions but that it's NOT to get attention, but all just a part of the subconscious Ne/Ti info gathering/processing machine and not trying to shock or anything like that. edit - at the time I'm not aware though, it's only with hindsight I can realize what was going on and now I'm aware that it does happen, though not always when it is happening.

But yeah, I get pissed off too at being told that someone knows what I think. It puts my back up faster than anything else I can think of. I guess I figured the part where he said to tell what the problem is and why, that was good advice, though you're right that putting it quite like that, with the rest of it, would put my back up. I'd have to work very hard to suspend the irritation I'd feel at that, to appreciate the clarity and see what's to work with.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah digest, but we don't really differ there at all lol that's pretty much what I was saying but I said it differently :laugh:

I was saying I'm now aware that I'm trying to get reactions but that it's NOT to get attention, but all just a part of the subconscious Ne/Ti info gathering/processing machine and not trying to shock or anything like that.

But yeah, I get pissed off too at being told that someone knows what I think. It puts my back up faster than anything else I can think of. I guess I figured the part where he said to tell what the problem is and why, that was good advice, though you're right that putting it quite like that, with the rest of it, would put my back up. I'd have to work very hard to suspend the irritation I'd feel at that, to appreciate the clarity and see what's to work with.

i'm glad that we're on the same page. i hear and read that a lot. that "ENTPs just want to get a reaction because they NEED others' attention" bit, and it bugs the hell out of me.

the statement couldn't be more false, and it makes us sound like pathetic attention whores when i'd become a recluse before i'd sink that low.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder what would happen if I delayed my reaction then laughed afterward or acted clueless then repeat whatever words back as a question...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wonder what would happen if I delayed my reaction then laughed afterward or acted clueless then repeat whatever words back as a question...

I'd be intrigued. About the highest compliment you can get :D

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

I was saying I'm now aware that I'm trying to get reactions but that it's NOT to get attention, but all just a part of the subconscious Ne/Ti info gathering/processing machine and not trying to shock or anything like that. edit - at the time I'm not aware though, it's only with hindsight I can realize what was going on and now I'm aware that it does happen, though not always when it is happening.

i had to go back and quote this for truth. you said it so well, and i completely agree.

I'd be intrigued. About the highest compliment you can get :D

i'm intrigued. but, it's because i don't have a clue what he's talking about.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, I'm actually bored right now so I'm mostly thinking of random things to mess with other people's heads to pass the time...

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Eh, I'm actually bored right now so I'm mostly thinking of random things to mess with other people's heads to pass the time...

could tell them you had a dream about them, then refuse to tell what it was because it's too embarrassing (or something else that starts with "too..."), and you don't think they'd ever forget you had it.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
could tell them you had a dream about them, then refuse to tell what it was because it's too embarrassing (or something else that starts with "too..."), and you don't think they'd ever forget you had it.

:nice: that would so chap my roommates ass, LOL

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
:nice: that would so chap my roommates ass, LOL

happy16.gif

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd have to be careful with it though; he's one of those people who believe in prophetic dreams. I do too, but I'm not as quick to identify a dream as one. :D

By the way, you really have a habit of finding avatars that make a guy hot under the collar :steam: :blush:

Perseus

MBTI Type
INTP
So I’ve noticed in some of my interactions with (immature) ENTPs that the nicer I am the more abrasive and shocking they appear to be but once I get a little nasty they respect what I’m saying and are more co-operative, is this the case?

What is the best way to make an ENTP stop and reassess their actions when they are out of line?

The reaction is venomous. Not me, from me you will just get vitriol (put you in barrel and dissolve you in acid), but then I am a reasonable introvert.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd have to be careful with it though; he's one of those people who believe in prophetic dreams. I do too, but I'm not as quick to identify a dream as one. :D

omg, that's perfect then. i'd say as long as no one dies in 'the dream', you're okay.

By the way, you really have a habit of finding avatars that make a guy hot under the collar :steam: :blush:

i choose to take this as a compliment, so thank you. :)

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
i'm glad that we're on the same page. i hear and read that a lot. that "ENTPs just want to get a reaction because they NEED others' attention" bit, and it bugs the hell out of me.

the statement couldn't be more false, and it makes us sound like pathetic attention whores when i'd become a recluse before i'd sink that low.

Never said it was because entps needed attention. Your way of information gathering can just be so damn annoying and invasive sometimes. At least that's what I've experienced from my entp friends.

Saying things that might piss me off just to see if I get annoyed isn't pleasant, even if you are only joking. That's how people get shot.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Trinity the ENTP's that I've met here are all so different. One of them I've set straight several times and each time they've complied, another is just too annoying to bother trying to get through to, and one I relate to (oddly) well. Just because someone is a certain type, doesn't mean they will behave similarly. Some INTP's I like and others I can't relate to on any level same with fellow NF's.

As for hugging, I'm not much of a hugger, but there are some people who are hug worthy and there are plenty of people I know who are smack worthy. :smile:

Perseus

MBTI Type
INTP
So I’ve noticed in some of my interactions with (immature) ENTPs that the nicer I am the more abrasive and shocking they appear to be but once I get a little nasty they respect what I’m saying and are more co-operative, is this the case?

What is the best way to make an ENTP stop and reassess their actions when they are out of line?

Only a ENTJ would ask a question, unless it is a ESTJ asking by proxy?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, um for the record ‘Hit or Hug’ is metaphorically speaking, I plan on never doing either ;)

1) Don't bullshit me.
2) The Place of Argument.
Thanks for the response, I found your post helpful. It's true about the ad hominem attacks, even though ENTPs can be confrontational I've rarely seen a direct attack against an individual that wasn't supposed to be a joke.

See, this is why I said INTJ's are the type that scare me, though not in a genuinely afraid, bad way but rather in a thrilling, addictive 'gimme more!' way.
It scared me too.

If you say I'm just trying to get a reaction i won't deny it (but I used to! lol). But I will deny that I'm doing it for attention, which I know is what you're implying. I'm not. I'm trying to get reactions so I can figure out the universe around me. If you can and will explain your reaction rather than just 'have' it and leave me to guess what about what I did was wrong and how to adapt, you're like gold dust to me.
Gold dust eh.

So I think it comes back to having a logical, non-personal response, sticking to the facts and not getting emotional?

that's where we differ, sub. 90% of the time, i don't consciously try to get reactions. it may be what i'm doing, but it's not usually done with forethought. i don't think to myself, "i'm going to poke this person and see what they do. 'cause i'm all into 'shock value'!" it just... happens. (and that'd seem really stupid if done just for that reason. i'd feel like the guy in class who tries to be funny (but isn't) just to get attention, and then i'd kill myself out of principle).

This is what I see, it's semi-conscious but mostly auto-pilot. I don't fully understand the motivations, sometimes they appear to be counterproductive to the ENTPs end goals but I don't think it's about upsetting others, rather it’s testing boundaries and loyalties.

i don't care what a person's type is. if someone says "i know what you're doing/thinking/etc.", then what was most probably a problem that could have very easily been solved by just mentioning it would turn into an entirely new and much more real problem.

I totally get that cause I'd personally find it patronising if someone else claimed to know my intentions.

Trinity the ENTP's that I've met here are all so different. One of them I've set straight several times and each time they've complied, another is just too annoying to bother trying to get through to, and one I relate to (oddly) well. Just because someone is a certain type, doesn't mean they will behave similarly. Some INTP's I like and others I can't relate to on any level same with fellow NF's.

Yeah, I guess understanding the thought process of an ENTP here may help me understand another although they won't be the same. I'm looking closer to the second senario "just too annoying to bother trying to get through to" :doh:

Iirrelevant input x 2

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, there really is no such thing as out of line, unless he's a Christian and you show it to him in the Bible. (done that a few times...)

This is true...
It took my I*FJ friend a long time to realize this.

Now our conversations usually go: Philosophical, theoretical, philosophical, practical.

Strange things happen when a bible believing ENTP is confronted with biblical clarity.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm a firm believer in having forums where one can say anything... no matter how conventionally taboo... as long as all members are open to it.