• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Te vs. Ti

MerkW

ENTJ has strong Te and weak Ti.

This is starting to get on my nerves. An INTP doesn't have weak Te, nor does an ENTJ have weak Ti. Rather, each simply has a much stronger preference for the function that the other does not prefer.

EDIT: Of course, an INTP can have weak Te, and an ENTJ can have weak Ti, but it is certainly not the norm.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
It depends on the subject matter. However, overall I favor quick work as I have a relatively short attention span.

Suppose we had to fix an engine -- precise or quick?

Or we're building a house?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
This is starting to get on my nerves. An INTP doesn't have weak Te, nor does an ENTJ have weak Ti. Rather, each simply has a much stronger preference for the function that the other does not prefer.

EDIT: Of course, an INTP can have weak Te, and an ENTJ can have weak Ti, but it is certainly not the norm.

Thank you

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP

Ah.. I understand.

MerkW

Thank you

Indeed. It is like saying INTJs have weak Ne and ENTPs have weak Ni. Most ENTPs often like to be seen as visionaries who are ahead of their time. Similarly, most INTJs are pretty innovative, and are usually quite good at seeing far-fetched connections.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ah true, but Ne isn't bad for envisioning, nor is Ni useless for invention.

Regardless, I'm convinced that the conventional four function model is a load of shit. All we can say for sure is, ENTP has Ne and Ti as his favorites. The rest are jumbled around.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Ah true, but Ne isn't bad for envisioning, nor is Ni useless for invention.

Regardless, I'm convinced that the conventional four function model is a load of shit. All we can say for sure is, ENTP has Ne and Ti as his favorites. The rest are jumbled around.

Me too. I think a person can be any type and exhibits traits of all types at different times depending upon a given set of circumstances.

MerkW

I think the best bet is to say that ENTPs really like Ne, really dislike Si, and the rest is relatively jumbled, yet with very frequent patterns of preference.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I think the best bet is to say that ENTPs really like Ne, really dislike Si, and the rest is relatively jumbled, yet with very frequent patterns of preference.

For what it's worth, my coworker (yes this old chestnut) is an ENTP (he took a type instrument test administered by a professional) and his ability to memorize details (passwords, IP addresses, host names, etc.) is very weak.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

Mmmmm... why call them ENTP if they don't have a thinking preference as well? You could just go with ENP. There are different (seems to me) assertions of the Extraverted intuition type. Some people are in the middle though, so your model could work.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Mmmmm... why call them ENTP if they don't have a thinking preference as well? You could just go with ENP. There are different (seems to me) assertions of the Extraverted intuition type. Some people are in the middle though, so your model could work.

Don't shoot :devil:

As usual, I cannot cite my source but preferences are not established at birth, rather they develop over time. And I do not know the time line of development but apparently the T/F and P/J preferences are developed later in life (~ after 30 years old?). So if this is true then it is possible that a pre-30 year old ENTP could identify as an ENTP yet have a weak preference for Ti.

MerkW

Don't shoot :devil:

As usual, I cannot cite my source but preferences are not established at birth, rather they develop over time. And I do not know the time line of development but apparently the T/F and P/J preferences are developed later in life (~ after 30 years old?). So if this is true then it is possible that a pre-30 year old ENTP could identify as an ENTP yet have a weak preference for Ti.

Define what exactly you mean by "weak preference."

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Define what exactly you mean by "weak preference."

A rational person whose logical and analytical abilities have not yet fully developed. However, he or she shows some traces of Ti.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I am new here. can a NT explain to me the difference between Te and Ti logic?

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hello, and welcome. The first has an 'e' after the 'T' and the second has an 'i' after the 'T'.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Te is external-directed thinking.
It focuses on the most efficient/productive way to accomplish things.
Its goal is to "get the job done."
Closure in the external world is the goal.

Ti is internal-directed thinking.
It focuses on "what things are" and how they should be defined and how they work together, like a large system, based on their inherent properties.
Its aims to explain and understand, rather than "getting something done."
It doesn't necessarily need to "do anything" with the ideas once they're figured out.

If you know anything about computer coding, the Te function is more like, "Okay, here's the piece of software we need to create: Let's get started and get it done," setting down practical steps and then actually doing them.

Ti is more like, "What objects do we need to create behind the scenes? What are their properties? What's the architecture of this piece of code? How does it fit into the big picture?" It will set up all the objects needed to write the actual code but sees writing the code more as the afterthought than as the focus.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have not read of this being as a Te v. Ti thing, but I find that writing my thoughts down really helps me to clarify them and understand them.

Sometimes my thoughts seem a little disorganized till I can write them down.

Ilah