• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs & Anger

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Re: Fat Kid Screaming. I think that's partly why I don't fly off the handle. I always remember how stupid I think people look when they do. Extreme anger always becomes comical, to me.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
iNTp's with anger management issues, I always direct to this video. It helps venting the troubles. Though I think it is a pretty old gag, it has lost nothing of its charme ;)

YouTube - Fat kid screaming
Either that kid is faking it, or he's seriously maniacal. I mean, like really, really over the edge. The way he alternates between ecstatic cackling and enraged screaming. My guess is, mis-dosing of some kind of medication.

Oh, I LOVE that video entropie!

Have you seen the remix? I have a feeling you will enjoy it.

[youtube="60d00TbbVuY"]Unreal Gamer vs. Lasse Gjertson[/youtube]
lol. Wow. I would say that Lasse would be offended by someone using his masterpiece for this, except that whoever sequenced this is on par with Lasse. Nice work, there.

LucrativeSid

I go on rampages and set out to destroy everything that is angering me. I very much resemble a pissed of Enneagram 8. Is there really that much difference between Ne dominant and Ti dominant NTPs, or is this a personal trait?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My anger outbursts are pretty rare.

Though I've been told by another INTP that they sense a lot of rage buried deep down...

HULK SMASH!

heart

heart on fire
Isn't this funny? Most of the INTPs here are saying that they have outbursts of anger. Martoon is saying he feels alone because he doesn't.

Well, martoon, you are alone, but not in the way you might think. If you read the mistyped member thread, you will learn that your lack of angry outbursts means you are the only actual INTP here. It seems, crazy, I know, but just ask BlueWing and Nocapszy. It's what they think, and they say it with such self-endowed authority, how could you not believe them?

:rofl1:

Sorry. I know it's annoying to go dragging the content of other threads around, but I just couldn't help but notice how timely this thread suddenly seemed.

I don't remember BW saying that INTP don't have emotion or express it, what I remember him saying was that an INTP would be likely to dress their emotion up as intellectually as possible with intellectual justifications and present it that way while a INFP would be most likely to just say "Hey, this is how I feel."

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't remember BW saying that INTP don't have emotion or express it, what I remember him saying was that an INTP would be likely to dress their emotion up as intellectually as possible with intellectual justifications and present it that way while a INFP would be most likely to just say "Hey, this is how I feel."
That makes some sense because it implies that it is being filtered through the dominant T function. Seeing anger as being expressed through any of the eight functions sheds an interesting light on it. How does Se anger manifest itself differently from Ni anger? Or Fi vs. Te? Is it the domain of Fe or Fi? Is anger just anger or can it be tailored to fit very different modes? I've wondered about this topic. Does the degree of expressing anger, having tantrums, etc. have as much to do with environment and physiology as it does cognitive style? Is the quantity of anger a separate issue from the manner in which it is expressed?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

His explanation of me being an F was mostly based splitting the hairs of my wording, regardless of my rationale, intent, or meaning. He also tried proving it with contradictions that weren't actually contradictions. The main point here is that out-bursts much like the ones we are hearing about here, don't really fit his idea of being an INTP.

His point about my expressions can be summarized as such: I am not an INTP, because I'm not dressed in an INTP's clothes.

And I don't feel at all comfortable building my point soley on just how I feel, so I don't see how that point would have been relevant to me, anyway.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okay this'll get me in trouble but what the hell..

I'm more of a classic INTP anger man meself. In true ESFJ style I set my objective and God help and poor sap who tries to block my path.

Interestingly though, well ashamedly but interesting, when I realise I've just made a display of myself, I shift the whole berrating myself onto someone else and blame then. Feels loads better :whistling:

Oh and Mac, I totally sympathise with the breaking inanimate things. That's usually when I do beat myself up. I realise I've broken it and that I now care that I've broken it so I then have to find something that I won't care about and break that too to release the second wave....

It's much cheaper being calm and passive.... really irritating to those who are looking for me to decide or side with someone and I just sit in the middle seeing both sides of the situation..... (it's also fun just purely as bedevilment :devil: )

That reminds me, according to the missus I do scare people with my anger. Mostly her. When you get shot by some bunny hopping son of a large horse headed octopus the air can get blue quite quickly. In fact I think that if Mom had heard me last night, she'd not speak to me again... ever!! :blush:

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
I'll go with the trend of unexpected ranting, though usually not around personal items. I have a very strong "injustice" reflex and can easily trip out on an outraged rant that can disconcert others. It's like somewhere deep inside me is the naive sense of the world as a fair place and any impinging upon that perception brings down the wrath of the gods.

I'm told, however, that I'm quite eloquent in this mood, mixing profanity with sweeping sentiment of towering dudgeon that invokes the finest of Joe Pesci and Ian McKellen. In fact friends often bring their problems to me in an attempt to receive indirect catharsis.

Personally? I do tend to punish myself with invective, but not really others. When I have a problem with someone else, I prefer to lay it out in clear, clinical terms, though without much softening of tone. This has gotten me compared to a scalpel on occassion, but I have no problem with that.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a load of bull. And just because you suppress your anger, dear Enneagram 1, doesn't mean you don't actually have it.
It is true that all human beings experience anger along with the other emotions, however, there isn't any reason to assume that everyone processes the same amount of anger. The way we have learned and choose to react to our environment has a lot to do with the amount of any emotion we process. Anger is a response to assuming our rights have been violated. The more entitled we assume ourselves to be, the more opportunity there is to react to a situation with anger when we don't get what we think is rightfully ours. There are certain types of reasoning that can minimize these assumptions. There are also physiological factors that can reduce or increase the presence of emotion.

So, when an individual claims to process little or no anger, and doesn't experience rage, it doesn't mean that a significant amount of anger is suppressed. Even if it is a "load of bull", it might not be a truckload, it might only be a very tiny load that could fit in the back of a Tonka truck.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
Then he'd probably say you are not an INTP.

If everyone he said is not an INTP really was not an INTP, we really -would- be the smallest percentage of the population. He only accepts robots...dreamers aren't good enough to be INTP, we have to be F's. Or S's. Actually I'm not sure, all I know is we have to be "Elsewhere".

I have extremely strong emotions, right across the board. When I was younger, you would never have seen them, because if I let them loose even a fraction of an inch, they would geyser. I lived the first 15 years of my life with the cold-dead-eyes-of-a-snake and a reputation for being cold, calculating, ruthless, etc. When I was a teen, I stopped giving a shit about the effect I may or may not have on others and became a sociopathic hoodlum for a while.

Long years with my soul on the grindstone of life seems to have blunted them somewhat, I've also learned to "surf" them better than before. I also do not fear exposing others to them, as it turns out, not everybody is quite as unnerved by the emotions of people around them as I am, so showing what I'm feeling really isn't crushing them like feeble bugs underfoot.

When I get angry, I clamp down on it and only let a trickle out. This would be the "spitting darts" thing Ivy mentioned. If it builds to a certain point, I hasten to solitude, because I know I will soon be out of control, and I have learned to hate the aftermath of such outbursts enough to fight it like crazy.

I guess I qualify for "dressing it up intellectually". I fight to not show it at all, which, apparently, is the intellectual ideal (Spock).

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
If everyone he said is not an INTP really was not an INTP, we really -would- be the smallest percentage of the population. He only accepts robots...dreamers aren't good enough to be INTP, we have to be F's. Or S's. Actually I'm not sure, all I know is we have to be "Elsewhere".

I have extremely strong emotions, right across the board. When I was younger, you would never have seen them, because if I let them loose even a fraction of an inch, they would geyser. I lived the first 15 years of my life with the cold-dead-eyes-of-a-snake and a reputation for being cold, calculating, ruthless, etc. When I was a teen, I stopped giving a shit about the effect I may or may not have on others and became a sociopathic hoodlum for a while.

Long years with my soul on the grindstone of life seems to have blunted them somewhat, I've also learned to "surf" them better than before. I also do not fear exposing others to them, as it turns out, not everybody is quite as unnerved by the emotions of people around them as I am, so showing what I'm feeling really isn't crushing them like feeble bugs underfoot.

When I get angry, I clamp down on it and only let a trickle out. This would be the "spitting darts" thing Ivy mentioned. If it builds to a certain point, I hasten to solitude, because I know I will soon be out of control, and I have learned to hate the aftermath of such outbursts enough to fight it like crazy.

I guess I qualify for "dressing it up intellectually". I fight to not show it at all, which, apparently, is the intellectual ideal (Spock).
A good way to vent spleen is to drive out of town at night, in the moonlight.
See there are no houses within a mile or two. Find a desolate field where nobody can hear you. Only then start to yell.
The next day your throat may be a little sore though. Otherwise you feel a lot better.

LucrativeSid

I totally sympathise with the breaking inanimate things. That's usually when I do beat myself up. I realise I've broken it and that I now care that I've broken it so I then have to find something that I won't care about and break that too to release the second wave....

Today I was looking for postage stamps on a cluttered table in a hurry. It only took me about 15 seconds before I got so impatient that I just pushed everything off the table. Then I found them. :) I usually know what I'm doing - I did that on purpose. Was it wise? Probably not, but I don't really regret that.

Then a few minutes later, I was really looking forward to sitting down to some good food and I hit play on my DVD remote and it didn't work. Sometimes you've just got to tap the remote onto something hard and it will work again, so I did that. But I "tapped" the remote so hard that the batteries came flying out. I was pretty irritated up until then, but at that moment, I got pissed and I threw the remote at the floor really hard. Now both the batteries and 3 major pieces of the remote are scattered about the room. I'm sure I can put it back together. But still. That's pathetic. You are right. It's an expensive habit.

On the bright side, I only do it when I'm completely alone and I usually know what I'm breaking - it just feels worth it. I'd never come close to hitting a person or something. Other people help keep me calm and focused. I don't want to scare the crap out of them.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Today I was looking for postage stamps on a cluttered table in a hurry. It only took me about 15 seconds before I got so impatient that I just pushed everything off the table. Then I found them. :) I usually know what I'm doing - I did that on purpose. Was it wise? Probably not, but I don't really regret that.

Then a few minutes later, I was really looking forward to sitting down to some good food and I hit play on my DVD remote and it didn't work. Sometimes you've just got to tap the remote onto something hard and it will work again, so I did that. But I "tapped" the remote so hard that the batteries came flying out. I was pretty irritated up until then, but at that moment, I got pissed and I threw the remote at the floor really hard. Now both the batteries and 3 major pieces of the remote are scattered about the room. I'm sure I can put it back together. But still. That's pathetic. You are right. It's an expensive habit.

On the bright side, I only do it when I'm completely alone and I usually know what I'm breaking - it just feels worth it. I'd never come close to hitting a person or something. Other people help keep me calm and focused. I don't want to scare the crap out of them.
You know I was sooo happy when I got a PS3. Not for the games you understand but just because of the bluetooth DVD remote. The damn thing actually pauses when you press the button and not some random length of time after you've hammered the thing twelve times and thrown it across the room.

Sure their expensive but I can't think of another remote that works that well.

Oh and the occasional game is okay too...

Logical... yeah.. ummm.. usually :blush:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
See there are no houses within a mile or two. Find a desolate field where nobody can hear you. Only then start to yell.
The next day your throat may be a little sore though. Otherwise you feel a lot better.
Ah the defining use for learning how to sing metal :D

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
That was you? Sheesh, you scared the crap out of me! I don't go walking out there at night anymore.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
one of my best friends is an INTP, and he is very very laid back, and has no temper what-so-ever..

Verily

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can feel rage, but I don't like letting myself act on it and it's a rare feeling anyway. I think I could count the number of times I was that angry on one hand. Usually I'm just irritated or upset, and I'll rant for a bit and forget about it by the next day. Or hour. Or minute. Break my concentration on the anger somehow, and it pretty much immediately dissipates like fog in sunlight. Worst thing that typically happens if I'm genuinely angry (and I get backed into a corner wherein I can't simply contain it for a short period or remove myself from the offending situation to let the anger go) is yelling, followed by crying. Though I've heard I look pretty scary when I'm mad. Breaking things is terrible for me. It's always in the back of my mind that if I break it, I'll only regret it later and get myself upset again because I allowed myself to get too emotional and irrational in a moment of "weakness." I tried it once or twice, but found I'd rather hurt myself in the process than break things, since bruises or cuts will heal (and in the meantime serve as a reminder to try to just let things go) but I can't always fix the ruins of my favorite lamp or something. ;)

So yeah, I think I'd fall into the "trying to logic it" end of the spectrum, too.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't have external outbursts involving other people until I reached my 20's and forced to be in proximity to other people, which meant often that when there was emotional stress and I couldn't get away, well, then it got uh-gly.

I used to find some athletes correcting themselves out loud on court etc to be a lil not ok.. till later on I did the same and then lie you mentioned, no one can be tougher on me than I myself am.. which is why I think they find it 'kinda crazy' when they are at the receiving end, very rarely after persistent inefficiency, of a precise surgical analysis and admonishment on my part.. that too only if it isn't possible for me to do what they're doing cause I'm responsible for stuff that I can't leave for a bit or to anyone else for whatever reason.