• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs & Anger

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sorry, too lazy.

I have not witnessed too much INTP anger since I think Noah vents his during his commute for the most part.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry, too lazy.

I have not witnessed too much INTP anger since I think Noah vents his during his commute for the most part.
He's so laid back. It's hard to imagine.

What were his meltdowns like? (or get him to post his here!)

I've mostly broken inanimate objects.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I noticed my more-stressed side yesterday.
I just finished taking a test I wasn't so confident I aced- so I became anxious and stressed.
However, my Fe was accurate.
I got into an argument with my sister over something stupid.. it had to do about whether Pizza Hut would survive in China during the next 10-20 years. I was pro-Pizza Hut.. she was anti-Pizza Hut. I felt both of us were sort of stressed.. I pointed out she was stressed and seemed tired and then she said- no it's all you.
A half hour later, she takes a nap.. I just knew that she seemed a little tired even though she denied it.

I dunno.
In other cases, I tend to get annoyed with stupidity and if I feel that people aren't listening to me (for something I think is a perfectly good idea)- I will get loud and keep trying to explain why what I'm thinking is good logically but obviously stressed..

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
He's so laid back. It's hard to imagine.

What were his meltdowns like? (or get him to post his here!)

I've mostly broken inanimate objects.

Mostly he just yells and speeds. His speech gets very clipped and he spits out words like blowdarts. :hug:

I don't think I've known him to break anything or go out of bounds verbally towards anyone in their presence.

Jughead

MBTI Type
INTP
I freeze when I'm stressed, and rationalise my anger away.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I dunno.
In other cases, I tend to get annoyed with stupidity and if I feel that people aren't listening to me (for something I think is a perfectly good idea)- I will get loud and keep trying to explain why what I'm thinking is good logically but obviously stressed..

An INTP friend I know gets the same way. He says he's being 'elitist', but I don't think that's the case. He just has a low threshold for outright stupidity and an even lower threshold for being ignored when he voices an idea that would work and possibly work better than the current method. I think if other people would respond with, "That's a good idea, but we do it this way because..." he would get much less frustrated. Or just try it his way every once and a while and see how it goes.

Didums

I'm like a bottle of soda. I can get shaken and shaken and shaken to no end, but when someone crosses the line and opens the bottle, all hell breaks loose.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Martoon said:
I think your statement of "no matter how much they provoked me" is key. INTPs don't want to control anyone, and they really don't want anyone to control them. Letting someone provoke you to anger is a form of letting them control you.

Yes! Absolutely. It's funny--I don't ever really "snap" when it's a serious issue that should make me angry. I snap when someone is being aggressively stupid or irritating or anal. And then it's just sort of an out-of-the-blue snark and I'm back to normal.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm feeling more and more like a freak here. I don't break things, never yelled out of anger. I speed consistently, but only because I try to minimize driving time; I set my cruise control there. When I'm suggesting a good idea, and people don't listen or consider it, I just stop suggesting it and figure it's their loss. I guess I'm not that invested in it. Fortunately, that's never come up at work. They always consider what I'm suggesting.

In my eighth grade English class, we were required to read a book and write a report every two weeks. I read a couple books every week, but didn't like writing book reports, so I didn't. In our weekly grade summary, I'd always get an A one week (no report due), and an F the next (report due). I finally concluded this was stupid, and wrote up a report on a book I'd just read. When I got the report back, it was graded "F", with a note from the teacher saying she suspected I'd copied it from the book jacket, or from a printed review. Did I confront her? Of course not. I just concluded that there was no point in writing any more reports, so I didn't. This was partially stupidity, and partially just me looking for an excuse to not write any more reports.

A few weeks ago, while experiencing some anxiety, I realized that I was actually angry about something. I thought, "Hey, this is good! I should go with this. Let's be ANGRY!!!" Of course, it immediately dissipated. Very disappointing. I was so looking forward to a good angergasm. Ah, well. Maybe next time.

Oh, and, Kyrielle? The cake is a lie.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't this funny? Most of the INTPs here are saying that they have outbursts of anger. Martoon is saying he feels alone because he doesn't.

Well, martoon, you are alone, but not in the way you might think. If you read the mistyped member thread, you will learn that your lack of angry outbursts means you are the only actual INTP here. It seems, crazy, I know, but just ask BlueWing and Nocapszy. It's what they think, and they say it with such self-endowed authority, how could you not believe them?

:rofl1:

Sorry. I know it's annoying to go dragging the content of other threads around, but I just couldn't help but notice how timely this thread suddenly seemed.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm feeling more and more like a freak here. I don't break things, never yelled out of anger. I speed consistently, but only because I try to minimize driving time; I set my cruise control there. When I'm suggesting a good idea, and people don't listen or consider it, I just stop suggesting it and figure it's their loss. I guess I'm not that invested in it. Fortunately, that's never come up at work. They always consider what I'm suggesting.

In my eighth grade English class, we were required to read a book and write a report every two weeks. I read a couple books every week, but didn't like writing book reports, so I didn't. In our weekly grade summary, I'd always get an A one week (no report due), and an F the next (report due). I finally concluded this was stupid, and wrote up a report on a book I'd just read. When I got the report back, it was graded "F", with a note from the teacher saying she suspected I'd copied it from the book jacket, or from a printed review. Did I confront her? Of course not. I just concluded that there was no point in writing any more reports, so I didn't. This was partially stupidity, and partially just me looking for an excuse to not write any more reports.

A few weeks ago, while experiencing some anxiety, I realized that I was actually angry about something. I thought, "Hey, this is good! I should go with this. Let's be ANGRY!!!" Of course, it immediately dissipated. Very disappointing. I was so looking forward to a good angergasm. Ah, well. Maybe next time.

I don't think you're a freak. (Not in this way, at least. :D) I just think you're near the end of a spectrum. It's the end I'd want to be on, if I got to choose such things. INTPs tend to be a fairly gentle bunch and Noah's no exception. I would say he's one of the more gentle men I've ever met. (And I don't mean that in the emasculating way.) He does get angry, but not that often really, and most of the time it's because he has avoided confrontation for awhile already.

Works

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't let my anger sit around and percolate. Then again, there aren't too many things that really make me angry. I used to have more inappropriate outbursts of anger when I was younger, but I've learned to control and focus that anger into more socially acceptable displays of displeasure.

Scowls are good. All NTs need to learn how to scowl.

But seriously, I can't remember the last time I really flew off the handle about something.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

It is not. There is a cake. There is dammit. She said there'd be cake and a party and Companion Cube would be there. :cry: I miss Companion Cube...

And I don't think you're a freak. It's quite an accomplishment to have that much control over yourself such that you don't have outbursts. I wish I could claim such a feat...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
iNTp's with anger management issues, I always direct to this video. It helps venting the troubles. Though I think it is a pretty old gag, it has lost nothing of its charme ;)

YouTube - Fat kid screaming

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh, I LOVE that video entropie!

Have you seen the remix? I have a feeling you will enjoy it.

[youtube="60d00TbbVuY"]Unreal Gamer vs. Lasse Gjertson[/youtube]

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
hahahahaha nice one xD . That probably would be the last thing I see, before I completly loose my mind :)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Schizm, he isn't actually talking about himself...

Indeed, I was joking. As of late, BlueWing(supposedly an INTP himself) has tried to prove that I'm not an INTP. One of his two main cases is that I express too much emotion to be an INTP. For instance, a frustrated groan of me saying I was "disgusted" is strong proof that I'm an F, according to him.

I can't avoid mocking this like the wind.