• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: How do you show appreciation?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I have a hard time giving the standard "ooohhh thank you so much, ................" when I appreciate what someone has done for me. I'll simply say thank you and maybe tell them why I appreciated what they did. A true showing of appreciation isn't in how good you are able to say Thank You but how the appreciation effects your future actions with that person.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i recall the INTJ i had would insist on buying me things
and then go hell hunting for it-she is solely responsible for my sade coollection
she wrote a book of poetry for me
and would call me after school everyday-get possessive
we'd talk for hours on end

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
i recall the INTJ i had would insist on buying me things
and then go hell hunting for it-she is solely responsible for my sade coollection
she wrote a book of poetry for me
and would call me after school everyday-get possessive
we'd talk for hours on end

a possessive INTJ... ouch that sounds bad.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I have a hard time giving the standard "ooohhh thank you so much, ................" when I appreciate what someone has done for me. I'll simply say thank you and maybe tell them why I appreciated what they did. A true showing of appreciation isn't in how good you are able to say Thank You but how the appreciation effects your future actions with that person.

Conceive of appreciation in broader terms . . . not just for something they did for you but appreciating them as a person. What now?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Conceive of appreciation in broader terms . . . not just for something they did for you but appreciating them as a person. What now?

Yeah I'll view that as a separate kind of a more general appreciation. There's appreciation for someone being a loyal friend and for specific acts.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do stuff. I fix stuff. I solve problems. I entertain (not like song-and-dance/juggling acts but I provide nibbles and beverages). I pay for stuff. I never make demands.

If they want touchy-feely, I advise them to get a cat - see, still solving problems.

Is this why I have no girlfriends?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I tell the person that I appreciate what they did, might add a note about why I appreciate it if I think they need the affirmation.

Sometimes, depending on the situation and what it is I'm appreciating them for - if it's just something they did for me that I appreciate - then I'm likely to get them a gift or render some service in return that makes us even. Keep the slate clean, so to speak until I know if they're a slate-watcher :laugh:

But if we're talking about appreciating someone on a more personal level rather than just stuff they do for me, basically, I invite them to join me in my leisure time.

It has been noticed in the past that simply not turning someone away when they come to me is not necessarily a great sign that I appreciate their company or even like them at all - it could very well simply be my sense of duty to humanity in general that makes me unwilling to turn away a person in any kind of need even if it's my least favourite person. But if I actually take the intiative myself and invite them, then that is a really big deal, that's me saying: I officially want you to be my friend because I totally appreciate the rockin' person you are. You have been headhunted! :D I hope that people would notice the significance of this and not keep fishing around for verbal compliments and expressions of appreciation... I will toss them out if I sense a person needs one, but it won't take many times of having to do that before I start to go cold on them.

I wouldn't invite someone I didn't truly appreciate just to avoid being bored and alone, cos I know that whether I invite people or not, there's an above even chance that someone or other will turn up any damned way.:coffee:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Depends a lot on how close I am with the person. If I'm very close (say, a girlfriend) then I have no problem explicitly thanking both in verbal and touch form. If I'm not very close, I'll just say "thank you" or something like that.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've learned to be direct with my INTP husband. If I want acknowledgment or appreciation for something I make sure to tell him (cause I've learned that hints do not work :laugh:).

Normally though, I can tell if he appreciates something, little differences in body language and vocal tone I guess. Occasionally he'll say something, probably more likely to be physically affectionate though.

I really like the physical affection, but only from him.
A hug from anyone else is weird weird weird. :shock:
(online hugs are good though! I wish real life hugs were more like that.)

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
You have been headhunted!

That's awesome. Sub, if you were here I'd give you a giant hug.

I'm frequently hesitant to reach out to people; but if I think of it as showing them how much I appreciate them, then it would make going out on that limb easier.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
im just myself and my friends & family know how i am and how i act
so i dont ever have to show my appreciation cuz they already know anyway

when it comes to strangers, i do the same as spirilis and just say thanks.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not the best with words though that's more out of introversion than anything. I could handle a girl that didn't express verbally all the time though, my love language is more physical and action oriented.

If you think of your relationships as systems (which can come naturally to an NT), then showing appreciation is a way to make the system work better and with less effort.

However, if you truly appreciate someone and want them to know it, it must be in a form that means something to them. Otherwise, it will not be effective. And why go through the effort if it's not going to be effective?

If I'm focusing on my own personality, gifts, limitations, etc to package my appreciation, it's really just about me. Isn't it? For example, if I show my appreciation by giving you a big, fat comfy hug and you hate to be touched? Errrrr...you are not going to feel appreciated.
Love language is definitely an important factor in the question posed by the OP.
A person tends to use the love language they prefer themselves, to express their love and/or appreciation for other people.

I'm bi-lingual. My love languages are quality time and encouraging words. My husband's is acts of service. If he wants to show his love for me, he'll do the dishes. If only that felt like love to me, I'd be all set. I have one son who if I want to express my love for him, I should buy him a present. It can even be a candy bar. That reminds me. I don't know the love languages of my two other kids! :shock: I must find out!

Generally, I try to use physical touch and words of encouragement on all my kids because the psychologists say that's what they need.

For non-family members, I tend to use encouraging words, and if I sense that it would not make the person feel uncomfortable, my words are sometimes accompanied by a pat on the shoulder or a gentle squeeze on the arm.

When I was a teen and I wanted to express my feelings for someone, I would buy them a trinket that showed them that I had been thinking of them, or give them a card that expressed my feelings.

PurpleCloud

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I used to think a mere thanks was enough. But as it turns out, lots of people don't seem to take it into account all that well, thus requiring of me to show my appreciation in some other form. I was introduced to what is usually called "the hug". Hugging friends, relatives is most effective. Since I've mastered this "hugging" thing, I've been considered a "warmer" person, whereas before people always viewed me as distant and cold.
And, based on the fact that I live in a latin area people usually enjoy a kiss on the cheek. But, as a form of appreciation, it is only used with people I'm close to. Needless to say, latin people are physical people =).

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Cool test INTJmom. I got:

Score Love Language
2 Words of Affirmation
6 Quality Time
1 Receiving of Gifts
11 Acts of Service
10 Physical Touch

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool test INTJmom. I got:

Score Love Language
2 Words of Affirmation
6 Quality Time
1 Receiving of Gifts
11 Acts of Service
10 Physical Touch

Really? Acts of Service? Seems pretty SJ-ish.

I'm Physical Touch and Quality Time.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Really? Acts of Service? Seems pretty SJ-ish.
I know, right? Or at least S. My husband is an ISTP.
Maybe the questions are not framed well enough.
I haven't known enough people's love language to know if there was a correlation or not.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
You call it SJ, I call it lazy. :p

They kept contrasting presents with acts of service, and yes, it means more to me when you do chores I hate to do than whack me with roses.

I thought I'd be physical touch based on the answers I chose and I'd say that is my primary love language.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You call it SJ, I call it lazy. :p

They kept contrasting presents with acts of service, and yes, it means more to me when you do chores I hate to do than whack me with roses.

I thought I'd be physical touch based on the answers I chose and I'd say that is my primary love language.

Yeah, but that's how you feel loved? What about chores you don't even care about? "I fixed the ceiling fan you never use!"

What about quality time? Just being together, even if you're not doing anything other than reading in bed.